Electrical problems.... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Electrical problems....

06 with a 3.5l. Having problems with the car losing electrical power. It tends to happen when I take off over 3 grand. Sometimes I hear a popping coming from around my feet kind of like a wire short circuiting or something. It's kind of annoying since the steering is fully electronic and you're turning, kind of dangerous actually. Sometimes the battery light comes on and sometimes more than just that. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:38 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwclm View Post
06 with a 3.5l. Having problems with the car losing electrical power. It tends to happen when I take off over 3 grand. Sometimes I hear a popping coming from around my feet kind of like a wire short circuiting or something. It's kind of annoying since the steering is fully electronic and you're turning, kind of dangerous actually. Sometimes the battery light comes on and sometimes more than just that. Any ideas?
Any aftermarket electrical add-ons?
Any tire store can do a charging system check. Around here its free. I'd start there.
After that I'd investigate the ignition switch.

Last edited by greenman; 07-23-2011 at 11:52 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Any aftermarket electrical add-ons?
Any tire store can do a charging system check. Around here its free. I'd start there.
After that I'd investigate the ignition switch.
No. Already had them checke it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Procrastinator

Try looking for any black marks around the area you think the noise is coming from. If the wires are grounding to something, it will leave black marks. If you have black panels, check for the finish looking more dull around the cables. Outside of that, you will probably need an electrical system check. Could be a fuse that is "blown" but somehow still making contact. Electrical work can be real annoying. And at can be real simple. Hope you get it fixed and it's super easy.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin.Overturf View Post
Try looking for any black marks around the area you think the noise is coming from. If the wires are grounding to something, it will leave black marks. If you have black panels, check for the finish looking more dull around the cables. Outside of that, you will probably need an electrical system check. Could be a fuse that is "blown" but somehow still making contact. Electrical work can be real annoying. And at can be real simple. Hope you get it fixed and it's super easy.

Me too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:11 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
My brain was on vacation when I made my initial reponse so here's a second one:
I would suspect the electric-assist power steering system is at fault as the motor is above your feet & draws a lot of current. You might be covered under this:

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8863

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My brain was on vacation when I made my initial reponse so here's a second one:
I would suspect the electric-assist power steering system is at fault as the motor is above your feet & draws a lot of current. You might be covered under this:

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8863

That's great, but I'm not sure if mine is that exact problem. Yes, I do lose my power steering, but it says that a light comes up about power steering. Mine does not do that. My battery light comes on. The other day I actually lost all power to my whole gauge cluster. None of them were working.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
That's great, but I'm not sure if mine is that exact problem. Yes, I do lose my power steering, but it says that a light comes up about power steering. Mine does not do that. My battery light comes on. The other day I actually lost all power to my whole gauge cluster. None of them were working.
The point was that there have been a lot of problems with the eps system on these vehicles. Especially on the older ones. It sounds like yours is shorting out & pulling down system voltage. Thus the charging system malfunction indicator lamp going hot. One easy thing you could try to see if it is eps-related is to pull the 60amp eps fuse. (Do so only at keyoff). Then try to reproduce your issue.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/steeri...r_electric.htm

Otherwise, take it to a dealer & have them check for DTCs. Best I can do for you given your input.

Last edited by greenman; 07-27-2011 at 11:55 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The point was that there have been a lot of problems with the eps system on these vehicles. Especially on the older ones. It sounds like yours is shorting out & pulling down system voltage. Thus the charging system malfunction indicator lamp going hot. One easy thing you could try to see if it is eps-related is to pull the 60amp eps fuse. (Do so only at keyoff). Then try to reproduce your issue.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/steeri...r_electric.htm

Otherwise, take it to a dealer & have them check for DTCs. Best I can do for you given your input.

I got a coupld ex co-workers that work at a gm dealership so I'll have them do some research and some diagnostics on it. Thanks a lot for the help.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Also quite possible your alternator has an internal intermittent that reveals itself only at 3000 RPM (or over). And maybe the popping at your feet is just the eps system (or some other system) responding to voltage dropout. Would help a lot to hear it.

Last edited by greenman; 07-28-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in