Condensation in right side headlight - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Condensation in right side headlight

I bought a 2005 G6 about a month ago and i am loving it so far. About a couple of weeks ago, i gave the car its firs car wash and afterwards i noticed moisture in the headlamp. Since then it has gotten to the point where the headlight is almost completely fogged up. How do i fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:22 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

All explained here:

Service Information 2009 Saturn AURA | AURA, BAS Hybrid (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2271933
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#01-08-42-001G: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines - (May 4, 2009)

Subject: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines

Models: 1993-2010 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

2003-2010 HUMMER H2

2006-2010 HUMMER H3

2005-2009 Saab 9-7X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2010 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-08-42-001F (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

The following information is being provided to better define the causes of condensation in exterior lamps and includes guidelines for determining the difference between a lamp with a normal atmospheric condition (condensation) and a lamp with a water leak.

Some exterior lamps, such as cornering, turn signal, backup, headlamps or tail lamps may exhibit very small droplets of water, a fine mist or white fog (condensation) on the inside of the lamp lens. This may be more noticeable on lamps with "multi-lens" designs and may be normal during certain weather conditions.

Condensation occurs when the air inside the lamp assembly, through atmospheric changes, reaches the "dew point". When this takes place, the moisture in the air within the lamp assembly condenses, creating a fine mist or white fog on the inside surface of the lamp lens.

Most exterior lamps on General Motors vehicles use a vented design and feature a replaceable bulb assembly. They are designed to remove any accumulated moisture vapor by expelling it through a vent system. The vent system operates at all times, however, it is most effective when the lamps are ON or when the vehicle is in motion. Depending on the size, shape and location of the lamp on the vehicle, and the atmospheric conditions occurring, the amount of time required to clear the lamp may vary from 2 to 6 hours.

Completely sealed headlamp assemblies (sealed beams) are still used on a limited number of models being manufactured today. These lamps require the replacement of the complete lamp assembly if a bulb filament burns out.

Condensation
2006 TrailBlazer Shown

A Fine Mist or White Fog on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens Occurring After a Period of High Humidity
• May be located primarily in the lens corners (near the vents) and SHOULD NOT cover more than half the lens surface.

• The condition should clear of moisture when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a SIMILAR performance.

If the above conditions are noted, the customer should be advised that replacement of a lamp assembly may not correct this condition.

Water Leak
New Style Pickup Shown

Numerous & Various Size Drops of Water Collecting on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens After the Vehicle Has Been Exposed to Rain or a Car Washing Environment
• A condition that covers more than half the surface of the lamp lens.

• An accumulation of water in the bottom of the lamp assembly.

• A condition that WON'T clear when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a different performance.

Any of the above conditions would indicate the need to service the lens or lamp assembly.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
you prolly have a bad seal on your headlight which isnt really fixable unless you know how to bake them to reseal it properly... this is the part where you say screw it and buy aftermarket headlights and get eagle eye projectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopeTHEg6 View Post
you prolly have a bad seal on your headlight which isnt really fixable unless you know how to bake them to reseal it properly... this is the part where you say screw it and buy aftermarket headlights and get eagle eye projectors
I guess you missed the key phrase: "vented design".

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 PM

No, he was probably like me and didnt read that long ass description. My g5 had moisture in the head light and I had to have it replaced because I guess it didn't have the "vented" design. So I'm assuming the g6 is included in the "vented" design?

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts08g6 View Post
No, he was probably like me and didnt read that long ass description. My g5 had moisture in the head light and I had to have it replaced because I guess it didn't have the "vented" design. So I'm assuming the g6 is included in the "vented" design?

thanks for backing me up there... ive never heard of no "vented design"

so if your like the rest of us without the "vented design" good chance you'll need a replacement lamp.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 PM

If the majority of 93 and newer gm models had vented headlight why are there so many cars that have so much moisture in there headlights. My dad is an auto body tech and he replaces dozens of gm headlights due to moisture

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Venting is how all car makers deal with the pressure gradients that exist within modern headlight housings. The space inside today's headlight housings experiences a huge temperature gradient depending on ambient conditions and whether the lamps are on or off. As we all learned in high school physics (yes you did), when air heats up within a confined volume, its pressure increases. Given the style-driven designs molded in translucent plastic with large surface areas, it's necessary to prevent either a positive or negative pressure situation developing inside the flexible plastic enclosure. For this reason, car makers use a vented design with a semi-permeable membrane covering the vent holes. The membrane is purposed to keep out water in the liquid state, dust particles & mold spores, but allow moisture-laden air to flow freely across it, in order to balance internal pressure with ambient pressure once the lamp element (or the sun) begins heating up the interior of the enclosure.

The consequence of this design is that some condensation may form on the inside surface of the headlight lens, depending on the ambient relative humidity & temperature. This condensation is driven out as the lamp element (or the sunlight) heats up the interior and the moisture-laden air is vented to the exterior.

Now, if there is liquid water pooling in the bottom of the housing, most likely you have a lens seal breakdown & that will require housing replacement.

If you still want hermetically-sealed headlamp housings, you will have to buy a decades-old vehicle with the old, round, glass lens housings. I recommend a '69 Malibu if you can find one.

Now if you are up for a fun experiment, seal the vent holes completely up with caulking (latex would be fine & it's very cheap) & see what happens to your plastic housing lens. You won't have to wait long (depending on headlight use & how much sun shines on them).

All of this also applies 100% to the taillight housings. I hope this helps settle this matter.

Last edited by waterfowler76; 07-26-2011 at 07:34 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
im closing this thread. its not doing any good at this point. It's fine to disagreee or have differnet opinions but when it turns to name calling and insulting other members there no reason for it and it will not be tolerated here. let this be a warning.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6

Last edited by waterfowler76; 07-26-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in