P0014 and hard shifting? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

P0014 and hard shifting?

Hi, Everyone -- Found this forum on google and I'm hoping there's an expert here that can help me. My car started hard shifting (usually only when the ambient temperature is hot.) It didn't immediately throw a code, but when it did it was P0014 (which indicates the exhaust camshaft position sensor is out of spec.) I replaced the exhaust camshaft position sensor (since it was cheap and easy to do) and reset the code. The CEL and symptoms came back almost immediately.

A google search also indicated that oil quality/level could be related. I had the oil changed (even though it was below 2000 miles since the last change.) This didn't have any effect on the issue.

Car is a 2.4 with 100k on the clock.

Any other thoughts on how I should troubleshoot this problem? Can an indy perform the correct diagnostic procedures or should I be trying to track down a dealership? Does this car use a GM Tech II for diagnostics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotan View Post
Hi, Everyone -- Found this forum on google and I'm hoping there's an expert here that can help me. My car started hard shifting (usually only when the ambient temperature is hot.) It didn't immediately throw a code, but when it did it was P0014 (which indicates the exhaust camshaft position sensor is out of spec.) I replaced the exhaust camshaft position sensor (since it was cheap and easy to do) and reset the code. The CEL and symptoms came back almost immediately.

A google search also indicated that oil quality/level could be related. I had the oil changed (even though it was below 2000 miles since the last change.) This didn't have any effect on the issue.

Car is a 2.4 with 100k on the clock.

Any other thoughts on how I should troubleshoot this problem? Can an indy perform the correct diagnostic procedures or should I be trying to track down a dealership? Does this car use a GM Tech II for diagnostics?
Model year? Looks like you've done some homework on it already. Many indies won't have a tech 2 & that's what they will need. It's ashame you are OOW. I bet it would have been covered under the powertrain.
What oil viscosity are you running?

Last edited by greenman; 07-28-2011 at 12:01 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Model year? Looks like you've done some homework on it already. Many indies won't have a tech 2 & that's what they will need. It's ashame you are OOW. I bet it would have been covered under the powertrain.
It's a 2006 so I believe it only had a 36k powertrain warranty. Surprised that I can't find more information on this problem anywhere.... GM made a TON of these engines and I'm not finding anyone online that has experienced these issues outside of warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:26 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I've only seen it once & the guy admitted he did not have his oil changed in years. It was basically sludge.

2006 Pontiac G6 | G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 1617665
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P0010, P0011, P0013, or P0014
Diagnostic Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors
DTC P0010: Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit

DTC P0011: Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance

DTC P0013: Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit

DTC P0014: Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance

Diagnostic Fault Information
Circuit
Short to Ground
High Resistance
Open
Short to Voltage
Signal Performance

Intake CMP Actuator Solenoid Control
P0010
P0010
P0010
P0010
P0011

Intake CMP Actuator Low Reference
--
P0010
P0010
--
--

Exhaust CMP Actuator Solenoid Control
P0013
P0013
P0013
P0013
P0014

Exhaust CMP Actuator Low Reference
--
P0013
P0013
--
--

Circuit/System Description
The camshaft position (CMP) actuator is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to crankshaft position (CKP). The CMP actuator solenoid is controlled by the control module. The control module sends a pulse width modulated 12-volt signal to a CMP actuator solenoid. The solenoid controls the amount of engine oil flow to a CMP actuator. The CMP actuator can change the camshaft angle a maximum of 25 degrees. The control module increases the pulse width to accomplish the desired camshaft operation.

Conditions for Running the DTC
P0010 and P0013
The engine is running.

P0011 and P0014
The engine speed is more than 1,350 RPM.

The engine control module (ECM) has enabled the CMP actuator.

The system voltage is more than 11 volts.

DTC P0011 and P0014 run continuously when the above conditions are met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
P0010 and P0013
The ECM detects an open, short to ground, or a short to voltage on the high control circuit or an open on the low reference circuit for more than 0.25 second.

P0011 and P0014
The control module has enabled the CMP actuator.

The difference between the desired CMP actuator angle and the actual CMP actuator angle is more than 6 degrees.

The CMP actuator is steady for 3 seconds.

The condition is present for 13.5 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
DTCs P0010, P0011, P0013 and P0014 are Type B DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
DTCs P0010, P0011, P0013 and P0014 are Type B DTCs.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference
Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference

Engine Controls Connector End Views

Engine Control Module Connector End Views

Electrical Information Reference

Circuit Testing

Connector Repairs

Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

Wiring Repairs

Scan Tool Reference
Scan Tool Data List

Circuit/System Verification
Ensure the vehicle has the proper oil viscosity.
Observe the engine oil level. The engine oil level should be within the operating range.
Allow the engine to reach operating temperature.
Increase the engine speed to 1,500 RPM.
Command each CMP actuator to 25 percent. The CMP actuator angle desired parameter should match the CMP actuator actual parameter.
Circuit/System Testing
With the ignition ON, measure for battery voltage between the CMP actuator solenoid control of the affected actuator and a ground.
⇒ If less than battery voltage, test the CMP actuator control circuit for an open, short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.

Connect a test lamp between the CMP actuator solenoid control of the affected actuator and a good ground. The test lamp should not illuminate.
⇒ If the test lamp illuminates, test the CMP actuator control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.

Command each CMP actuator solenoid between 0-50 percent. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF.
⇒ If the test lamp does not turn ON and OFF, test the CMP actuator control circuit for high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.

Connect a test lamp between the low reference circuit of the CMP actuator solenoid of the affected actuator and battery voltage. The test lamp should illuminate.
⇒ If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the low reference circuit for an open, high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the control module.

Determine that the vehicle has the correct engine oil. Refer to Service and Appearance Care in the owner's manual.
⇒ If the engine oil life system monitor displays the Change Oil Soon message, the engine oil is more than one year old, contains additives, or is not the correct viscosity, change the oil.

Test the engine oil pressure. Refer to Oil Pressure Diagnosis and Testing .
⇒ If the oil pressure is low, correct the low pressure first.

Inspect each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly for the following:
Torn screens

Debris on the screens

Debris clogging the oil ports

Missing screens

Oil seepage at the solenoid connector pins

Inspect for the following conditions:
Excessive timing chain play

Proper installation of the CMP actuator assembly

Component Testing
Measure the resistance of each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly. Resistance should be between 8-12 ohms.
Connect a jumper wire between the CMP actuator low reference circuit at the solenoid and a good ground. Connect a fused jumper wire to the CMP actuator high control circuit at the solenoid. Momentarily touch the fused jumper to B+. Observe the spool valve inside the CMP actuator. The spool valve should move from fully closed to fully opened position.
Repair Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement

Control Module References for replacement, setup, and programming.
2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Inspect each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly for the following:
Torn screens

Debris on the screens

Debris clogging the oil ports

Missing screens

Oil seepage at the solenoid connector pins

Inspect for the following conditions:
Excessive timing chain play

Proper installation of the CMP actuator assembly

Do you have any information on where to locate the actuator solenoid valve? I searched online to try and get a photo of what the part looks like -- it seems like some people with other GM vehicles have replaced this part fairly inexpensively. Unfortunately, rockauto.com and all of the other parts suppliers that I've searched are not showing even a part number (let alone a photo) for that part.

I assume that these instructions are from AllData? Much of this looks possible without a Tech II.... are there enough diagrams in there that the electrical troubleshooting should be possible without one?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Check for my PM.

Last edited by greenman; 07-28-2011 at 01:17 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

So I've got both the GM service info and the AllData service info.... Have followed the mechanical troubleshooting in each one (they are very similar.) And have not found success.

The CMP actuator solenoid does not have any obvious damage. I'll be further testing it's electrical function tonight. I think I'm going to try swapping the intake solenoid with the exhaust solenoid and see if that fixes the problems.

Does anyone have the ability to look up the part # for the CMP actuator solenoid? It's a very easy part to get to and replace but neither of my resources (or any online sources) seem to show a part number for this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 01:43 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:

The CMP actuator solenoid does not have any obvious damage. I'll be further testing it's electrical function tonight. I think I'm going to try swapping the intake solenoid with the exhaust solenoid and see if that fixes the problems.

Does anyone have the ability to look up the part # for the CMP actuator solenoid? It's a very easy part to get to and replace but neither of my resources (or any online sources) seem to show a part number for this.
Sometimes with those things, oil will slip past the aging o-ring seal & get into the connector. But you aren't seeing that?

Finding part #s can be a royal PITA. Tried calling autozone/napa/whatever? Maybe you can bribe a dealer's parts dept guy for it.

Last edited by greenman; 07-29-2011 at 01:55 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sometimes with those things, oil will slip past the aging o-ring seal & get into the connector. But you aren't seeing that?

Finding part #s can be a royal PITA. Tried calling autozone/napa/whatever? Maybe you can bribe a dealer's parts dept guy for it.
No sign of oil on the connector or in the valley on the intake manifold. It's pretty damn dusty, actually.

ACDelco actually has a pretty good consumer line for looking up parts... $5 will get you $20 that they make that part, anyway. I'll probably give that shot depending on what my swap test indicates.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 02:35 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
...depending on what my swap test indicates.
I'd be interested in what you find. I believe they are identical even though they probably have diff part #s & might be color-coded differently. (Like O2 sensors) But look them over closely & verify.

You might get something from this long thread from the hhr forum:

http://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24659

Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit (Bank 1)

Possible Causes:

Engine oil low or in need of changing

CMP Actuator Solenoid ignition voltage for an open/high resistance

CMP Actuator Solenoid control circuit for an open/high resistance

Engine timing components

CMP Actuator Solenoid malfunction

ECM has failed

Last edited by greenman; 07-29-2011 at 11:20 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd be interested in what you find. I believe they are identical even though they probably have diff part #s & might be color-coded differently. (Like O2 sensors) But look them over closely & verify.
Well, no dice swapping the two solenoids. The electrical connectors on each one are keyed differently even though they appear identical.

I tested the resistance across each one. The intake side is showing a stable 11.4ohms. The exhaust side is varying wildly from 20-60ohms. Both readings were with the parts removed from the car. I believe this is pretty firm evidence that the solenoid valve is failing?

Also -- For anyone else that comes across this thread looking for a solution. Here is a link to the part (GM# 12628348) http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/.../12628348.html

Last edited by wotan; 08-01-2011 at 08:03 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Well, no dice swapping the two solenoids. The electrical connectors on each one are keyed differently even though they appear identical.

I tested the resistance across each one. The intake side is showing a stable 11.4ohms. The exhaust side is varying wildly from 20-60ohms. Both readings were with the parts removed from the car. I believe this is pretty firm evidence that the solenoid valve is failing?
Looks like you've solved it. The exhaust solenoid resistance is definitely out of spec (8-12 ohms nominal).
You would not know the connectors are keyed differently from the SM diagrams. They look identical. But it makes sense now that I think about it, as it prevents reversing the connectors. Here are both solenoid part numbers & their applications:

exhaust:
12628348 VALVE. Engine Camshaft.
VALVE,CM/SHF POSN ACTR EXH SOL. Required: 01For: A 2.4-0/U(LE9) (2009-2011) (2009 - 2011). For: A 2.4-B/P(LE5) (2006-2008) (2006 - 2008). $50.05

intake:
12628347 VALVE. Engine Camshaft.
VALVE,CM/SHF POSN ACTR INT SOL. Required: 01For: A 2.4-0/U(LE9) (2009-2011) (2009 - 2011). For: A 2.4-B/P(LE5) (2006-2008) (2006 - 2008). $50.46

Good job finding that parts site. That's very handy.

Last edited by greenman; 08-01-2011 at 03:16 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Wink poo14

Quote:
What oil viscosity are you running?
had same problem took my car to change positon sensor camshaft sensor same problem, then took my car to midas he change positon camshaft sensor which is located to transmision and cleaned my camshaft exhaust which was clogged. also did a transmission treament flush and fluid change found two scew loose which cause hard shifting 400.00 later my care is like new
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 10:31 AM

I recommend against getting aftermarket camshaft actuator solenoids. Get the GM OEM parts. Get them cheap on eBay (you purchase from dealers anyway who are competing with each other on pricing). I replaced my wife's in her 08 Saturn Vue without problems.

2008 G6 Dark Gray Metallic SE V6

Last edited by gapotts; 02-15-2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Oops definitely brought back from the dead
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:32 PM

I'm having the same problem with my 2007 G6 4L. I've tried everything except the latest information. Will pass this on to my mechanic! I need to get my inspection sticker!!! This has been doing this off and on for 3 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in