'08 G6 Keyless Entry and Cruise Control - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Question '08 G6 Keyless Entry and Cruise Control

I just bought a used '08 G6 and was told that it didn't have keyless entry, but the dealer didn't know much about the car. I'm wondering if maybe when the previous owner traded it in, he didn't give the dealer the remotes? The dealer knew nothing about this car; didn't even know there wasn't cruise control in it. I m coming out of a G6 that was loaded: sunroof, 6 disc player, remote start, controls on steering wheel... Was a lease and couldn't get financing to purchase it
I would like to eventually upgrade the car to everything I had in my previous one, as money comes in. For now though I definitely want remote start in my car. How can I tell if this car has remote entry and just missing the remote itself? I don't know much about cars and would need to have a dealer or aftermarket shop do everything.. Is there a way to see the installed features by the VIN?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:02 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrchck View Post
I just bought a used '08 G6 and was told that it didn't have keyless entry, but the dealer didn't know much about the car. I'm wondering if maybe when the previous owner traded it in, he didn't give the dealer the remotes? The dealer knew nothing about this car; didn't even know there wasn't cruise control in it. I m coming out of a G6 that was loaded: sunroof, 6 disc player, remote start, controls on steering wheel... Was a lease and couldn't get financing to purchase it
I would like to eventually upgrade the car to everything I had in my previous one, as money comes in. For now though I definitely want remote start in my car. How can I tell if this car has remote entry and just missing the remote itself? I don't know much about cars and would need to have a dealer or aftermarket shop do everything.. Is there a way to see the installed features by the VIN?
This usually works pretty well to find all the factory-installed options:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

AP3
Lock Control, Entry - Remote, Keyless Entry, Start

AP8
Lock Control, Entry - Remote Entry, Extended Range

Last edited by greenman; 08-06-2011 at 02:14 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Greenman, it brought everything up but I did not see AP3 or AP*. Instead this:

AW3 LOCK CONTROL,ENTRY REMOTE ENTRY-NOT INSTALLED(NOT USED AFTER 2009 M.Y) REMOTE ENTRY LOCKS-NOT INSTALLED(AW3)

So can I install the remote start aftermarket, or is there GM accessory kit? The dealer I bought this from is a Dodge dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:39 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Thanks Greenman, it brought everything up but I did not see AP3 or AP*. Instead this:

AW3 LOCK CONTROL,ENTRY REMOTE ENTRY-NOT INSTALLED(NOT USED AFTER 2009 M.Y) REMOTE ENTRY LOCKS-NOT INSTALLED(AW3)

So can I install the remote start aftermarket, or is there GM accessory kit? The dealer I bought this from is a Dodge dealer.
So I'm guessing it was a fleet vehicle.

I don't know the answer to your question. You might call a dealer parts dept. with the VIN.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Your 08 sounds a lot my new 09 G6. Mine did not have cruise or keyless entry. The cruise is easy, buy a used steering wheel with the cruise control buttons plug it in and you have cruise. For this to work the wiring harness in the steering column needs to have 8 wires. You can easily check this by tilting the column down and pulling it rearward. Once you do that lift up on the top cover of the column right behind the wheel, it will pop right off, if you have 8 wires in the connector plugged into the SIR clock spring you are ready for cruise, if you have 5 wires you are out of luck and need to look for an aftermarket cruise control. On the keyless entry, several people have had luck just getting the dealer to program remotes to the car all the rest of the stuff required is there, just no remotes. I am waiting to get a list of warranty work together and I am going to try to get the dealer to program my keyless entry. Also if you find a wheel with the radio controls, those will also be plug and play (mostly) if the column has the eight wires. I say mostly because the buttons for the radio work they just do not do what they say they are going to do, again this is simple dealer program step to make all work right. I added the wheel to mine already and cruise and the radio controls work exactly as i expected, cruise perfect and radio slightly weird but functional. I think the keyless will work on 08 and up because these cars were required to have Tire pressure monitor which uses the same receiver as the keyless entry. There should be more info here if you do a search for keyless entry or RKE, in fact I think there are links with pictures of the steering column wiring that might show things better than my explanation. Also on mine at least remote start is probably a no go because the hood open sensor is not installed and neither is the wiring for it. Without that the remote start probably will not be possible from the dealer. You can get it enabled if you go to White Automotive and media (WAMS) and get a custom BCM program to enable it, You will need to jumper out the hood switch line somewhere the instructions will come with the BCM tune I assume. You would still need to go to the dealer with remotes to get them programmed.

Last edited by Schnauzerguy; 08-06-2011 at 11:13 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Just to update the staus on the remote fro my base 09. Went to the dealer today and they programmed by Ebay remotes to the car just fine. The problem was with the radio controls on the wheel. They were unable to get them to work correctly. The service guy was really confused why it did not work and said he was going to see if the head service manager had ever seen this and if he had a solution. In summary looks like 09 G6's can be programed by the dealer to use a remote even if the RPO does not show it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 03:55 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzerguy View Post
Just to update the staus on the remote fro my base 09. Went to the dealer today and they programmed by Ebay remotes to the car just fine. The problem was with the radio controls on the wheel. They were unable to get them to work correctly. The service guy was really confused why it did not work and said he was going to see if the head service manager had ever seen this and if he had a solution. In summary looks like 09 G6's can be programed by the dealer to use a remote even if the RPO does not show it.
I'm curious, does your RPO list also have this entry?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 PM

Yes my car does have the AW3 RPO code.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzerguy View Post
Yes my car does have the AW3 RPO code.
Thanks for that & all that good info on add-ons for what I assume to be the fleet version.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Thanks for that & all that good info on add-ons for what I assume to be the fleet version.
I am not sure wht makes a fleet car but this one was delivered to a private owner in '09 and sold twice privately since. To the best of my knowledge this was a pure base, no options car, and according to the options list I found by VIN it was not a value leader version
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
I have a fleet version (from National) and it has AP3, so not all of them are stripped...

~ MattInSoCal
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 09:43 AM

I bought a 2008 G6 2.4 Value Leader version for my son heading to college. It had no key fob and the owner (original) said it never came with one. I called a GM dealer and via the VIN he stated that the car had the AW3 code and that while I could add keyless entry, it would VERY convoluted and expensive.

I took a chance and ordered this:

Amazon.com: APDTY 24843 Key-less Entry Remote Key Fob Transmitter With Easy Do-It-Yourself Programming Tool (View Description For Specific Years) Buick Lacrosse / Chevy Cobalt / Malibu / Pontiac G5 /G6 / Grand Prix / Solstice / Saturn Aura / Sky (Rep

It showed up in two days. I worked in 15 seconds. The car now has keyless entry for the grand cost of $48 all in. Please either break off the locking tab for the ODB2 cinnected programmer or have a small flat head screwdriver as the connector locks on to the port when you insert it.

Worked like a charm. Problem solved.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloyouis View Post
I bought a 2008 G6 2.4 Value Leader version for my son heading to college. It had no key fob and the owner (original) said it never came with one. I called a GM dealer and via the VIN he stated that the car had the AW3 code and that while I could add keyless entry, it would VERY convoluted and expensive.

I took a chance and ordered this:

Amazon.com: APDTY 24843 Key-less Entry Remote Key Fob Transmitter With Easy Do-It-Yourself Programming Tool (View Description For Specific Years) Buick Lacrosse / Chevy Cobalt / Malibu / Pontiac G5 /G6 / Grand Prix / Solstice / Saturn Aura / Sky (Rep

It showed up in two days. I worked in 15 seconds. The car now has keyless entry for the grand cost of $48 all in. Please either break off the locking tab for the ODB2 cinnected programmer or have a small flat head screwdriver as the connector locks on to the port when you insert it.

Worked like a charm. Problem solved.
* connected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in