Car Stereo Draining Battery? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Car Stereo Draining Battery?

Ok, I have a 07 Pontiac G6 with the factory stereo still in it. A while back I discovered that my battery was totally dead after I hadent drove it for a couple days. Come to find out that my stereo's light keeps flashing on and off every few seconds when the car is off. After pulling the Radio Fuse out the battery drain was gone.

Seems odd that something so small could pull enough power to drain my battery after leaving it only a couple days.

I have tested both the battery (actually replaced it too) and also tested the alternator, neither seem to be the issue.

Should I try replacing the little 10 amp fuse? Anyone have any ideas as to whats the cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:23 PM

In most cases its a fuse or short that is causing that problem, I wouldve replaced the fuse first couldve saved you some money on the battery
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperson View Post
Ok, I have a 07 Pontiac G6 with the factory stereo still in it. A while back I discovered that my battery was totally dead after I hadent drove it for a couple days. Come to find out that my stereo's light keeps flashing on and off every few seconds when the car is off. After pulling the Radio Fuse out the battery drain was gone.

Seems odd that something so small could pull enough power to drain my battery after leaving it only a couple days.

I have tested both the battery (actually replaced it too) and also tested the alternator, neither seem to be the issue.

Should I try replacing the little 10 amp fuse? Anyone have any ideas as to whats the cause?
Can you see any similarity to this door ajar switch issue?

Service Information 2007 Pontiac G6 | G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2286307
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#09-08-64-022: Various Intermittent Electrical Concerns-Door Ajar Message, Interior Lights On, Theft Deterrent Alarm, Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Stays On, Discharged Battery (Diagnose/Repair Door Lock Assembly) - (Jun 2, 2009)

Subject: Various Intermittent Electrical Concerns -- Door Ajar Message, Interior Lights On, Theft Deterrent Alarm, Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Stays On, Discharged Battery (Diagnose/Repair Door Lock Assembly/Circuit)

Models: 2006-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

2006-2009 Pontiac G6

2006-2009 Saturn AURA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following concerns:

The door ajar message stays on or comes on intermittently.

The interior lights stay on or turn on intermittently.

The content theft deterrent alarm goes off intermittently.

RAP does not cancel when the door is opened allowing the radio, power windows, sunroof and the compass to remain powered up.

The battery is discharged.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by water intrusion into the door ajar switch (part of the door lock assembly) which causes an incorrect switch status input to the BCM. This condition can be intermittent and wet weather may aggravate this condition.

Correction
Use the following steps to aid in diagnosis of the concern.

Important: DO NOT replace the body control module (BCM) for this concern.

Use the Tech 2 and monitor the door ajar switch inputs to the BCM. The Tech 2 lists the left front door separately, then all passenger doors together.
Check if a door ajar message is active with the doors closed. If this condition is not present, washing the vehicle may induce the concern. Note that the vehicle may have to sit for up to two hours.
If the concern is the RAP does not cancel when the left front door is opened, suspect the left door lock assembly. If the door ajar message is active on the passenger door, it could be any of the other doors.
Try opening and closing each passenger door one at a time while monitoring the door ajar status to see if one of the doors will cause the message to change to door closed. If it does, suspect that door lock.
If the message does not change, you can isolate which door is indicating ajar by disconnecting the individual door electrical connector at the pass-through on the pillar side. Always start with the right front door first. If the message changes to door closed when the door is disconnected, suspect that door lock.
Once you have identified the suspect door, refer to SI for complete circuit testing. Refer to Diagnostic Starting Point - Vehicle Access in SI.

Warranty Information
Important: Use the appropriate labor operation for the repair performed.

For vehicles repaired under warranty use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

B4260
Front Side Door Lock Replacement - Right Side
Use Published Labor Operation Time

B4261
Front Side Door Lock Replacement - Left Side

B4660
Rear Side Door Lock Replacement - Right Side

B4661
Rear Side Door Lock Replacement - Left Side

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
So all the radio backlighting is flashing, or just part of it? Be as specific as you can. That is an issue I can't recall ever seeing but I'm researching it...

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Now here's a member that had his radio lighting on steady & his radio was completely powered up & that I'm pretty sure is a RAP issue. But because you say yours backlighting blinks on/off that sounds like a different problem.

Have you done any electrical mods prior to this happening?

Does it blink at a steady rate?

Last edited by greenman; 08-19-2011 at 07:09 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
So all the radio backlighting is flashing, or just part of it? Be as specific as you can. That is an issue I can't recall ever seeing but I'm researching it...
Just the radio screen itself, the backlighting on the nobs, etc. are staying off.

Basically what i see is the red lighting flash on the radio screen with the time displaying right in the center. After about 2 sec it turns off again.... then after about 30 sec. it will repeat.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serb View Post
In most cases its a fuse or short that is causing that problem, I wouldve replaced the fuse first couldve saved you some money on the battery
Yea at that time i had no idea the radio light was doing that, so i was grabbing straws with the battery thing. If it is a short causing it would it be just the radio or the wires that connect into the radio?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Now here's a member that had his radio lighting on steady & his radio was completely powered up & that I'm pretty sure is a RAP issue. But because you say yours backlighting blinks on/off that sounds like a different problem.

Have you done any electrical mods prior to this happening?

Does it blink at a steady rate?
Nvr changed a thing with my car... and before this i could leave it weeks without driving and it start fine.

It does blink at a steady rate yes.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Just the radio screen itself, the backlighting on the nobs, etc. are staying off.

Basically what i see is the red lighting flash on the radio screen with the time displaying right in the center. After about 2 sec it turns off again.... then after about 30 sec. it will repeat.
Have you tried to turn on the radio when it's acting this way?

Does the radio act normally otherwise?

I'm leaning in the direction of an internal problem with the radio.

Last edited by greenman; 08-19-2011 at 08:13 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you tried to turn on the radio when it's acting this way?

Does the radio act normally otherwise?
Yep radio acts just fine.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:49 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Yep radio acts just fine.
The radio in these cars is under GMLAN control. So the BCM plays a major role in their functioning. The other thing to keep in mind if you replace it yourself with another OEM radio you might find on ebay, you'll need to have a dealer program the VIN into it. Of course they charge a nice fee for doing that. Wish I had a simple fix for you. Maybe someone else has seen this exact issue.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The radio in these cars is under GMLAN control. So the BCM plays a major role in their functioning. The other thing to keep in mind if you replace it yourself with another OEM radio you might find on ebay, you'll need to have a dealer program the VIN into it. Of course they charge a nice fee for doing that. Wish I had a simple fix for you. Maybe someone else has seen this exact issue.
I'm considering just having a kill switch installed for it.... Just a simple on/off switch that will cut the power similar to pulling the fuse. At least then i can have a radio when i want it.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:01 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

This sounds familiar:

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8806

& this:

http://www.justanswer.com/gmc/2uaos-...hing-even.html

Last edited by greenman; 08-19-2011 at 09:49 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sounds very similar yes, especially the 30 sec. thing. Unfortunately this issue is a tough one to find an answer too. It would be much simpler if my radio didnt work at all.... or just stayed on constantly.

With it flashing it could be anything from a shorted out radio to the BCM. If its the BCM i'm not even bothering, that's a good 1000 bucks to replace and its not worth it for just a radio.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:20 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Sounds very similar yes, especially the 30 sec. thing. Unfortunately this issue is a tough one to find an answer too. It would be much simpler if my radio didnt work at all.... or just stayed on constantly.

With it flashing it could be anything from a shorted out radio to the BCM. If its the BCM i'm not even bothering, that's a good 1000 bucks to replace and its not worth it for just a radio.
Gone are the days of simple answers with computer-controlled vehicles.
You might want to consider an extended warranty. Especially if you have electric power steering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in