XM radio problems - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

XM radio problems

Just had my '06 GTP coupe in the dealership for the third time to try and fix the XM radio. When you set the presets for XM 1 , they also mysteriously appear on XM 2 , overriding the original presets.

Doesn't happen all the time, sometimes only every few weeks. When you shut off the car, and restart, it starts working. After working on it for three days , and forcing me to drive a '06 Caddy DTS as a loaner , they called to say that GM engineers are aware of the problem and are working on a fix, and I'll be notified once they decide how to fix it. They think it's a software issue. Seems like it would have been easier for them to just swap out the radio, but that's GM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 03:13 PM

It likely only happens after you remote start - right?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 04:30 PM

Sounds similar to the problem I had where I would leave the XM on one channel and remote start and it would be on a different channel when I got in and turned the key. They got a reading on Tech II that the voltage on the radio was running low. They replaced the radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Never really thought about it but, I always notice it on the ride to work, and I have been using the remote start every morning. Once it's been shut off and re-started, seems like the problem goes away for awhile. Just a PITA thing !
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G
They got a reading on Tech II that the voltage on the radio was running low. .
Did that fix it? I am familiar with Tech 2 and it doesn't provide very much help when diagnosing XM issues - very little data is made available.

The tricky thing is that the radio head actually doesn't store the XM presets. On this vehicle the XM receiver in rear of vehicle stores presets. The radio head just sends a message to the XM receiver that the BAND or Preset 1-6 button was pushed and then assumes (which it displays for you) what band (XM1 or XM2) the receiver is providing presets for. The XM receiver does pass back channel and song/artist info but never actually what band of presets it is using.

Sorry I don't know any more than that

Last edited by e2helper; 02-23-2006 at 05:40 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 02:56 PM

e2, I don't remember the exact message but it did display "low voltage" in whatever the rest of the message was and because of the message they replaced the radio (and forgot to bolt it in when they assembled the dash back so they had to disassemble it again )I also had a prior problem with the 6CD changer getting discs stuck and not ejecting but after the radio was replaced it has worked flawlessly.... keep in mind that all mine did was jump stations or catagories (rock to country for instance), not bands like XM1 to XM2. It actually stayed on the XM1 band itself.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 10:40 PM

I'm having the same problem with my XM, and it's pissing me off!!! I'm glad to know i';m not alone...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 04:34 PM

I also discovered that lovely XM preset problem this morning. Hopefully GM will shed some light on this soon...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 02:35 PM

I thought I explained pretty well what the problem was
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2helper
I thought I explained pretty well what the problem was
I can check with the dealer to try to get the XM receiver checked. I'd rather have them do that than try to rip my dash apart to get to the radio, which with my luck would provide with me with some nice new rattling sounds from the dash.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:11 PM

Hope they wouldn't do that - the XM receiver is in the trunk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in