HELP!!! 2007 G6 Code P0014-CamShaft - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Angry HELP!!! 2007 G6 Code P0014-CamShaft

I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 with a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder motor. It has 43,000 miles on it. I am not the original owner of the car I’ve actually owned it since April 2011 and it appears we already have a major problem . The chain of events leeading to this issue: I had my oil changed at Wal-Mart on 7/11, on 7/29 I drove to Kansas City (about 4 hours from where I am) It did fine on the way there no issues until on my way home it started shifting hard and the check engine light came on. The next day it was off and was not shifting hard, over the last month it would randomly start shifting very hard and the check engine light would come on. When it wasn’t shifting hard the engine light was off, when it was it was on. It’s now shifting hard consistently all the time even harder then it was (seems to just be getting worse) along with the check engine light on all the time now. I took it to O’Reily’s to have the code read and it came back p0014 which is exhaust camshaft position sensor. I had the oil changed about 3 to 4 weeks ago (on time) I dug the receipt up to make sure the proper oil was used in it (it was) and checked the oil level (which is normal). I’ve called and talked to a mechanic we know and he went over all the possible causes behind this but it appears it’s going to be very expensive to fix.

However he did suggest that I look into the Federal Emissions Warranty to see if this problem was covered under it. I pulled out the information on that warranty and from what I can understand it is 8 years or 80,000 miles. However I don’t know a lot about cars and my husband well its not his car so he doesn’t care. Can anyone shed any light on this, the problem and the Emissions Warranty?

Last edited by ADoubrava; 08-20-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Google "OBD code P0014" and there is a lot of good info out there, but what I can gather P0010 through P0099 are a malfunction of an emissions sensor or control solenoid responsible for engine timing.

So depending on where that sensor is, the brunt of the expense would be getting to it. Also too, from what I'm reading is that there is a screen on the actuator and it either gets dirty or falls off and causes this code. The actuator uses oil pressure to change the timing of the valve and an issue with that screens screws with the timing.

Good luck!

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 04:51 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubrava View Post
I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 with a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder motor. It has 43,000 miles on it. I am not the original owner of the car I’ve actually owned it since April 2011 and it appears we already have a major problem . The chain of events leeading to this issue: I had my oil changed at Wal-Mart on 7/11, on 7/29 I drove to Kansas City (about 4 hours from where I am) It did fine on the way there no issues until on my way home it started shifting hard and the check engine light came on. The next day it was off and was not shifting hard, over the last month it would randomly start shifting very hard and the check engine light would come on. When it wasn’t shifting hard the engine light was off, when it was it was on. It’s now shifting hard consistently all the time even harder then it was (seems to just be getting worse) along with the check engine light on all the time now. I took it to O’Reily’s to have the code read and it came back p0014 which is exhaust camshaft position sensor. I had the oil changed about 3 to 4 weeks ago (on time) I dug the receipt up to make sure the proper oil was used in it (it was) and checked the oil level (which is normal). I’ve called and talked to a mechanic we know and he went over all the possible causes behind this but it appears it’s going to be very expensive to fix.

However he did suggest that I look into the Federal Emissions Warranty to see if this problem was covered under it. I pulled out the information on that warranty and from what I can understand it is 8 years or 80,000 miles. However I don’t know a lot about cars and my husband well its not his car so he doesn’t care. Can anyone shed any light on this, the problem and the Emissions Warranty?
A recent thread on this very issue:

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ighlight=p0014

Read that first then come back with any questions here. Happy to help. This is actually one of the easiest problems to fix as they are conveniently located on top of the 2.4l engine. I honestly can't tell you if the CMP Actuator Solenoids are covered under your Powertrain warranty.

Last edited by greenman; 08-20-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:30 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Here are the CMP actuator solenoids on top of an '09 2.4L:

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/at...1&d=1313882653

You just remove the connectors & measure the resistance across the two pins. Both should be 8-12 ohms.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0017.jpg
Views:	6496
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2342  

Last edited by greenman; 08-20-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in