Changing Instrument Gauge Lights - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Changing Instrument Gauge Lights

Hi, I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 V6 and was wondering if it is at all possible to change the instrument gauge lights. They are currently red and I want to change them to blue. I was just curious if it can be done by removing the dash and swapping specific bulbs or if I need more to make the modification. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 05:45 PM

A couple others will jump in soon with more specifics I'm sure - But - it 100% can be done.

Its just a matter of pulling out the cluster, soldering in new lights and your good to go. There are a few shops that even sell different gauge faces so you can have a white ( or many other colors ) background instead of the black.

Can't wait to see pics once you get this one in!

David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 03:12 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopty View Post
Hi, I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 V6 and was wondering if it is at all possible to change the instrument gauge lights. They are currently red and I want to change them to blue. I was just curious if it can be done by removing the dash and swapping specific bulbs or if I need more to make the modification. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure what backlighting lamps are used or whether they are soldered in place in our IPC. You might look through the malibu mods forum which is pretty active (but I really can't say how much in common the G6 & Malibu clusters have):

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...splay.php?f=61

There is also the G6Performance forum:

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/

Lots of modding happening there. I know it's possible because I've seen them with blue backlights.

Last edited by greenman; 09-03-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

r u good at soldering??

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Midnight Blue GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
r u good at soldering??
AGREED!!!! I did that to mine at it was PITA. Word of advice make sure you have an extra cluster for parts just in case you brake a needle or ruin a motor. If you need any help or parts just let me know. But once again a second cluster is key!! i was driving around not being able to tell how much gas i had in my car for a week lol

Exterior Mods: 35% tint on the front windows, 20% on the back, Intake Resonator Removed, DDM Tuning 8k HID's in High-low-fogs, RED calipers, Painted Steelies, Blacked out taillights, DE BADGED, Carbon Fiber badge overlays.

Interior Mods: Blue Dome and Map lights.

Audio/ Electrical Mods: Clarion CZ501, Clarion EQ/XOver, Rockford Fosgate 0/1 gauge amp kit, "fully Loaded" 12" FI BL in a custom slot ported box, Python 533 alarm system w/ remote start.

Performance mods : Racingline Grounding kit, Racingline Strut Bar, Racingline MMI, ECM/TCM tune.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

It's described here in detail:

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...l=1#post222430

I would have given it 5 devils of difficulty. You would have to be an expert with a fine tip soldering iron.

Last edited by greenman; 09-04-2011 at 09:35 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Midnight Blue GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Do you have any pictures of the IPC circuit board?

What type of LEDs does it have?

How do the needles come off?
If you look on the other g6 site (g6performance) their is actually a tutorial on how to do it in the "how to" section. The needles come off by turning and popping them ever so gently upward lol

Exterior Mods: 35% tint on the front windows, 20% on the back, Intake Resonator Removed, DDM Tuning 8k HID's in High-low-fogs, RED calipers, Painted Steelies, Blacked out taillights, DE BADGED, Carbon Fiber badge overlays.

Audio/ Electrical Mods: Clarion CZ501, Clarion EQ/XOver, Rockford Fosgate 0/1 gauge amp kit, "fully Loaded" 12" FI BL in a custom slot ported box, Python 533 alarm system w/ remote start.

Performance mods : Racingline Grounding kit, Racingline Strut Bar, Racingline MMI, ECM/TCM tune.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualPotential View Post
If you look on the other g6 site (g6performance) their is actually a tutorial on how to do it in the "how to" section. The needles come off by turning and popping them ever so gently upward lol
Thanks for that. It's not intuitive in the least & I studied them closely. Because I'm still under the bumper-to-bumper I'm going to give it a try. If I F it up, I'll just play dumb at the dealer. They look very delicate, to say the least.

Last edited by greenman; 09-04-2011 at 11:02 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 03:54 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

dont turn the needles...youll break the motor. Pry straight up (use a fork).
The motors are interchangeable if you break one. You can remove them from the board
from the other side of the circuit board. Just push in the center push pins holding
it to the board. Then depress the sides of the pins to release it.

To reinstall set it exactly where you want it and push STRAIGHT on. If your off a bit dont turn it to set. Pry it back up and snap it back down again till you get it perfect.

Turning the needles WILL break it.

I hope that made sense.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
The motors are interchangeable if you break one. You can remove them from the board
from the other side of the circuit board. Just push in the center push pins holding

To reinstall set it exactly where you want it and push STRAIGHT on. If your off a bit dont turn it to set. Pry it back up and snap it back down again till you get it perfect.

I hope that made sense.
I'm glad I got distracted & didn't try it last night. I appreciate your help.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Midnight Blue GT

Quote:

I hope that made sense.
I wish mine just pried off..I had to twist and pull..the one i tried pulling straight up with a spoon snapped in half

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in