Egine Problem: stalled while accelerating, followed by hard start - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Egine Problem: stalled while accelerating, followed by hard start

Hello,

I was driving on Sunday to church, as I pulled out onto the highway, I was doing maybe 3000 rpm's in my 2008 Pontiac G6 V6 Carbon Flash Sedan 4D. Well the engine stalled and starting loosing power. I thought it was originally a front tire, the whole front end was cavitation.

anyways, I pulled over and turned off the engine and then checked my brand new (3 week old) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus tires (which are literally amazing). after inspection it wasn't the tires, I get back into the car. I turn the ignition, and I hold it there for like 5 seconds, it doesn't start. my dashboard was working correctly, but a CEL was on. I open the hood and checked all the wires and checked to see if there were any leaks, none that I could see.

anyways, I had my friend come over whom was a mechanic, he literally held the key down for 10 seconds, and then the car turned over but was only doing 1k rpm's. there was a clanking noise like a clank, clonk, clang, clonk on the left part of the engine near the belts for the starter and drive shaft. The motor was rotating, but it sounded like it wasn't even firing the pistons. My friend said it could be either the coil or he said the loud clanking on the left side sounded like a timing chain. The only reason why I think its the timing chain, is because when the engine is running, the sound from the engine is different ditches, like high and lows, like the timing is off. But the real kicker is when I turn off the engine the engine takes like 6 seconds to turn off, is that a timing belt or electrical? ... now there wasn't any smoke coming out of the engine, so I don't think its a blow piston, because the drive shaft on the side on the bottom was spinning. But the sound only seems to be coming right the left side of the engine right near the belts, is that near the timing chain or belt?

Any ideas?

I had Pontiac Roadside tow the car to Hudson Pontiac Buick GMC on Route 9 in Poughkeepsie, NY were I bought the car back in February. It only has 40,483 miles on it, I got it with 26k. It has the 5 year /100, 000 mile warranty.

any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:31 AM

Garage
have them fix it under warranty? for free?

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

I'm hoping they can fix it under the warranty. I know its a limited warranty, but I don't know if the timing chain or even at the extreme a new engine is covered by the warranty. I'm sure its a very popular engine, I see so many G6's on the road for a car that isn't made anymore....which sucks, people have to drive a G6 to understand the passion and love of this car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

The first step is always to check for DTCs. That is what that dealer has done I can guaranty you. For 22 bucks you could have a code reader of your own (& I strongly suggest everyone should).

Last edited by greenman; 09-06-2011 at 12:05 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Really, you can buy one of those hand-held computer to check the error codes for like 30 dollars? I thought those things would cost like a few hundred dollars.....

Well its funny, when the flatbed delivered the car on Sunday afternoon it was facing forward on a hill at the dealership. When I got there this morning to fill them in, it was facing upward on the hill, which makes me wonder how it moved. All I know is those guys at the dealership are amazing at fixing my car.

I'm not sure if its related. But about a week ago it was at the dealership. I drove into a street that was flooded that wasn't a hour earlier in Middletown near the mall were I work. I was going merely 300 rpm's when the engine hydro-locked, it was idling when it hydro-locked.. none of the dashboard electronic got wet, just the carpet. They replaced the carpet and did a partial engine flush. they redid the transmission fluids and oil and filter. They ran the car hard for 4 hours they said. they let the car sit in the sun for 6 days just to be safe.

I drove the car back and forth to work all last week to Middletown from Poughkeepsie and then 3 trips to Princeton, NJ for work and the car was working fine. So I'm not sure if its related. I mean it could be electrical related, but I'm not sure. I'm a IT Director, not a mechanic. I know computer's not engines.

could it be related?

The car all week hasn't had any problems at all.... they did a compression test when it was at the dealer last and it was all fine.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmage View Post
Really, you can buy one of those hand-held computer to check the error codes for like 30 dollars? I thought those things would cost like a few hundred dollars.....
This will read all the OBD2 codes:

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-OBD-II-Scan/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1315336675&sr=1-1

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 01:30 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:

I'm not sure if its related. But about a week ago it was at the dealership. I drove into a street that was flooded that wasn't a hour earlier in Middletown near the mall were I work. I was going merely 300 rpm's when the engine hydro-locked, it was idling when it hydro-locked.. none of the dashboard electronic got wet, just the carpet. They replaced the carpet and did a partial engine flush. they redid the transmission fluids and oil and filter. They ran the car hard for 4 hours they said. they let the car sit in the sun for 6 days just to be safe.

could it be related?
I would put money on it. If we knew the code/s we could have helped. Possibly saved you some money.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM

The hydro lock probably has something to do with the clanking. It will bend rods or crack them and damage pistons. Sorry.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Well the dealership think it is indeed a bent rod.

Good news is they will get the engine repaired under the warranty, since I drove the car all week and put 580 miles on it in 8 days. Most of it being in I-84, I-87 and Route 17 in NJ. I was driving on average 80 mph.

So I guess he said that they will be giving me a rental car because the engine is under warranty.

Another odd fact, he told me in the last 4 weeks he's had to replace the engines in 2008 Pontiac G6's ranging from base to GXP models...

So I guess now I just have to wait....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Well the dealership think it is indeed a bent rod.

Good news is they will get the engine repaired under the warranty, since I drove the car all week and put 580 miles on it in 8 days. Most of it being in I-84, I-87 and Route 17 in NJ. I was driving on average 80 mph.

So I guess he said that they will be giving me a rental car because the engine is under warranty.

Another odd fact, he told me in the last 4 weeks he's had to replace the engines in 2008 Pontiac G6's ranging from base to GXP models...

So I guess now I just have to wait....
Wish I could find a dealer like that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in