Car wont start when the key is turned - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Car wont start when the key is turned

Let me elaborate; it seems all my issues started a few months ago when I took it in for the clunking and hard shifting. First they (dealer) said I didnt have a problem but my computer needed to be updated. They updated, and I still ended up taking back again and guess what they found the clunking issue and fixed it. A( Was a emission thing) Shortly after my car wouldnt start would click but no start. We replaced the starter (200.00) and still wont start. Check the battery and yep that fixed it. Now for the past two weeks it starts if its in the mood!! Sometimes, starts first try other times you have to turn the key multiple times. Everything lights up all electronics seem to work as they should when the key is turned. My husband checked for loose wires and has disconnected the battery for a few. Still it wont start at first turn of the key. Was thinking possibly a new ignition switch is in order. Hate doing this trial and error stuff but hate taking to the dealer even more!! Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerlover1265 View Post
...my car wouldn't start would click but no start. We replaced the starter (200.00) and still wont start. Check the battery and yep that fixed it. Now for the past two weeks it starts if its in the mood!! Sometimes, starts first try other times you have to turn the key multiple times. Everything lights up all electronics seem to work as they should when the key is turned. My husband checked for loose wires and has disconnected the battery for a few. Still it wont start at first turn of the key. Was thinking possibly a new ignition switch is in order. Hate doing this trial and error stuff but hate taking to the dealer even more!! Help!!
Please give your model year, engine size & mileage when asking for assistance. It usually matters.

So you have a new starter & new battery.

What is happening now when it won't start? Can you hear regular clicking from the starter motor? Does the engine crank? Or do you hear nothing?

We'd be happy to try to help but need quite a bit more info. There are several possibilities. Please read this & come back with more details of what's happening:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/us1296.htm

Last edited by greenman; 09-07-2011 at 01:37 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:11 AM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
alternator could also be bad as well.

Edit: i know our cars are known for the "hesitant" start. when you roll it over and it spits and sputters.. if this is what its doing ive been told its not any of the mechanics to start the car, its that the gas isnt cut off right away after you've shut the car down causing it to spit and sputter the next roll over because there is already gas there?? something like that.

Last edited by penelopeTHEg6; 09-07-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Sorry!! Wasnt thinking....2006 g6 2.7 I believe (its a 4 cylinder)...

It doesnt sputter, click or anything like that. When you turn the key it does nothing. The radio,dash and lights will come on.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
if you think you have the 2.7 you prolly have the 2.4

pontiac made 2.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.9
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerlover1265 View Post
Sorry!! Wasnt thinking....2006 g6 2.7 I believe (its a 4 cylinder)...

It doesn't sputter, click or anything like that. When you turn the key it does nothing. The radio,dash and lights will come on.
When it won't crank, try moving the gear shifter from Park to Drive & back to Park a time or two. You could have an intermittent or maladjusted transaxle range switch. Might also be the ignition switch or a wiring problem. Or an intermittent starter relay. Or corrosion at the battery connections. Or a few other things.

I can't recommend that you keep throwing parts at it. If you have a trusted mechanic take it to him for a proper diagnosis. Paying a diagnostic fee will almost always be the least costly option. Then, depending on what's wrong you may be able to DIY the repair.

Last edited by greenman; 09-08-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in