Steering wheel problem - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Steering wheel problem

I just noticed yesterday that my steering wheel makes a weird noise when I turn it. I don't think it's my steering shaft because it was just replaced about 2 months ago. It's hard to describe the noise, but the best I can think of is a squeaking sound. Anyone else have this problem? I've got to go in for a oil change next week so I plan to have them look at it. I guess it's a good think I got the GMPP Major guard, looks like I might need it.

2010 G6 GT Black 41,000 miles. Under GMPP Major Guard warranty until 112,000 miles.

~Regina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Sway bar bushing will do that.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Does that lead to any other problems or should that be it, if that's it? I hope it isn't anything major. I'm starting to worry about what else might go wrong with my car.

2010 G6 GT Black 41,000 miles. Under GMPP Major Guard warranty until 112,000 miles.

~Regina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 AM

It's no big deal, worrying is not productive , relax.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Well I took my car into the dealer today to be looked at. They said the whinning in the steering wheel is normal. It's not ever done it until the last few days and I don't see how it could be normal. They did say I need a steering gear because my steering wheel vibrates or something. I decided to get another opinion because I don't think this is normal at all. You can even hear it over the radio. I think it's my power steering pump or something.

~Regina
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaalear View Post
Well I took my car into the dealer today to be looked at. They said the whinning in the steering wheel is normal. It's not ever done it until the last few days and I don't see how it could be normal. They did say I need a steering gear because my steering wheel vibrates or something. I decided to get another opinion because I don't think this is normal at all. You can even hear it over the radio. I think it's my power steering pump or something.
If you have the GMPP and the replacement of the part they diagnosed is covered under the plan, I'd let them go ahead and do it. Worst case, they are wrong but then they will be more on the hook to find and fix the problem if it comes back.

~ MattInSoCal
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

They ordered the part today. I told my husband I'm going to let them put the part and see if it will fix it, but if it doesn't I'm going to take it somewhere else.

~Regina
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

I took it to another dealer to have them look at it and the mechanic heard it immediately. He said he's heard it before and that it's a bushing in the steering column. He said it's not a safety issue it's just annoying. He is going to make sure it's covered under my warranty and if so they'll fix it. So I need some kind of a bushing, a steering gear, and a new key fob. I've already had the steering shaft replaced. I hope this is the end of the problems and not the beginning.

~Regina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in