09 G6 GXP Major Electronic Issues - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

09 G6 GXP Major Electronic Issues

New member here,
I ran across the site while searching for help in regards to issues I am having with my wife's 2009 Pontiac G6 GXP Sedan. Several weeks ago, the A/C quit working suddenly. First we thought this was the only issue and must need some AC work done...however, as we drove it a bit more, we noticed the gauges on the dash (speedometer, rpm, temp, etc.) would suddenly "0" out and then resume working randomly with no explanation while driving. Then suddenly while this would happen the radio would cut out and all the center console lights would go out all at the same time for 15 seconds at a time. Sometimes it would all start working again and be fine for 10 minutes, other times it would start to cut out again as soon as it turned back on. Operation of the vehicle as far as driving works fine, no loss of steering, power etc. We also began to notice the keyless entry would sometimes quit working & the automatic start would not work from time to time. I was just about to take it to the shop, but then it all started working again just fine. It worked great (including the AC) for about 2-3 weeks.

This past weekend we took it on a small road trip and guess what....it started acting up even worse than before. All the same problems exist as they did before, but it seems like it is doing it much more frequently now than before, and there were a few times that we would stop where I turned the key over and it didn't even act like it wanted to try to start (no noise, turnover anything). As soon as I would try it again it would start right up. It is very confusing and frustrating, and I am going to take it to the shop soon. I just wondered if this had happened to anyone else, and if so...what the issue was. I have had a few people tell me the BCM needs to be replaced. Due to my wife commuting for work, I am outside of the bumper to bumper by about 10K miles....just my luck. Any help or insight would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:07 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Has the charging system light been on at all? Start by having the alternator & battery tested...most stores that sell tires do this for free. It's very possible both will test good if its an intermittent issue which is what you report. Best time to do the testing is when the problem occurs of course. You also need to ensure all the battery & alternator connections are clean & tight.

Last edited by greenman; 09-14-2011 at 01:41 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 AM

check all the grounds, the one from the battery to the engine is probably broken off or close to being broke off due to the excessive toqueing of the engine back and forth from haveing such loose motor mounts......

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Dark Gray Metalic
Bought Feb 28 2009 with 24k miles now has 130k miles RIP Baby death snowplow 1-30-11
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4757

Carbon Black Metalic 2009 G6 GXP Coupe
Bought Oct 8 2010 with 35 miles

Mods so far: every single performance mod and a whole lot more, fastest NA G6
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7974

1/4 mile: [email protected] 109.23

Performance Red Metalic 2009 G6 GXP coupe
bought june 29 2012 with 3400 miles

Mods: RACE CAR- full race fuel setup and in the process of converting to RWD with a 6spd manual trans
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13140
1/4 mile: [email protected] 101.95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 AM
Da.v3

its an 09...taking it in for warranty would sound like a pretty good idea to me?

Black 06 GTP Coupe

Performance: Full CRABs | RacingLine street MMIs + STB

Appearance: Tint - 35%r, 45%f | Tinted Alteza Tails | Black Halo Proj Eagle Eye Headlights |5000k HIDS in low and fogs w/ 100w hal in high | Red Leds under dash and behind grilles | White LED Interior Bulbs + Trunk, Plate | Bebadged w/ black overlays
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately warranty isn't an option as I stated because I am 10K miles over the 36K bumper to bumper...I know I have 100k mile powertrain, but I cannot forsee this being related to power train as the vehicle "drives" just fine. All the connections to the battery are in good shape, no corrosion or looseness at all, I just put a new battery in the car last summer so it should be in good shape as well. This does not seem like a battery or charging system issue as the car starts and runs just fine, and the problems are very intermitten and not constant. Any other advice would be appreciated.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 AM

Could be PCM pin corrosion, seems too soon for a 09 with 46K.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasegxp View Post
This does not seem like a battery or charging system issue as the car starts and runs just fine, and the problems are very intermitten and not constant.
From your own first post:

"...and there were a few times that we would stop where I turned the key over and it didn't even act like it wanted to try to start (no noise, turnover anything). As soon as I would try it again it would start right up."

If you can't use a multimeter you need someone who can.

Last edited by greenman; 09-14-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in