New member last question, steering clunk. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

New member last question, steering clunk.

Hi, this is the last question I have about this car for now. I hope you Guys can help me with all these questions. Anyway, this car I'm looking at also makes a clunking noise when you turn the wheel side to side at low speeds or stopped. I searched here and found a video that sounds exactly the same. My mechanic says it is most likely the intermediate steering shaft which needs to be replaced.
Does this sound right? Can I do this myself? I work on cars frequently.
Thanks,
Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 PM

Def sounds like the i-shaft. If you want an easy quick fix (maybe) just try lubing it first instead of replacing it.

Mods: GT-R exhaust, CRABs O3 w/FPU, 35% tint, 5000K HID lows/fogs, upper/lower recessed grilles, Racingline strut bar, concept darts, white LEDs everywhere
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on my questions Firedown. I decided to cancel this purchase for the Pontiac. The car was beautiful, 2006 G6 3.5 metalic blue. I just cant get over the fact that we still cant engineer a car in this country. After over 100 years, issues like this should not exist. If some engineer is responsible for this failed design, then GM should recall the car. I keep hearing that this is not a safety issue. I'm close to 50 now, and I don't need someone telling me what is safe and what is not safe. Even though my mechanic can give it a PA State insection sticker, does not mean that it is safe. Mechanically something is loose in the steering assembly, its a no brainer. This car was going to be for my daughter. There is no way I would put her in that car. I'm tired of babying our car companies in this country, GM should really be out of business.
I pulled up the carfax and the steering gear along with tie rods were replaced last year. This sounds like so many posts on this site that talk about the problem returning.
I will not be purchasing an american car again for a while. I thought that we had learned something from our competition. I still percieve Japanese cars as superior to all other cars manufactured on the planet. I'm finished my rant now, thanks again for your respones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in