Will a Bent rod cause a otherwise fine car to be totalled? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Will a Bent rod cause a otherwise fine car to be totalled?

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6. I just purchased the car back in February. It only has 40,000 miles on it.

Long story short about 4 weeks ago I was driving home at night and a part of a road I normal drove on was flooded, I didn't see it until I drove into it and I slowed down. I was doing merely 200 rpm when the engine stalled. It got hydro-locked.

I had it towed to the Pontiac Dealership were I bought the car. Progressive in my Insurance company. The dealership did a flush of the engine and changed the oil and transmission fluids. and the engine was running fine. Progressive replace the carpet because the basins got water in them (were you put your feet). But the dashboard never got wet, none of the electronics got wet. Progressive said it the water hit the dash it probably would have been a total.

I got the car back for about a 8 days and I put well over 600 miles on it driving back and forth to NYC. it was running fine, and then two Sunday's ago on my way to church, I was accelerating and I got to 2000 rpm's and the engine just cut out and then it wouldn't turn over. The dealership told me that one of the pistons is bent.

My question is, since the car is in perfect order, would they total the car or just replace the engine or piston. Since a 2008 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 is such a popular car, would the engine still be made?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Well, you can't have a "bent piston". They must be referring to the connecting rod if something is bent. Or did they say "bent push rod"?

Either way, here's the deal. If you cracked a piston or bent a connecting rod, not only will you need to replace that, they'll need to have a machine shop check the cylinder wall for marring or gouging. If there is any issue with the cylinder wall, they'll have to bore it out and sleeve it to fit the piston back it. Since I don't believe that there is larger pistons out there for this motor, you wouldn't be able to bore the entire motor to make a larger displacement motor.

After they do that, the will also have to rebalance the crank, if not replace it as that will be fudged up from a bent connecting rod. Then the main bearings will need to be replaced as well. It might just be cheaper to replace your current motor with a crate motor.

Now if it's a bent "push rod", as long as the head looks ok where the rod goes through, you might be able to get away with just replacing that rod and calling it a day. That would be A LOT cheaper.

Good luck!

Edit:

Sorry, got carried away there. If the engine needs to be replaced or worked on, the insurance company shouldn't total it as long as the cost is no more that 70%ish of the total value of the car. Now, that percentage varies depending on insurance company, so you'll need to see what your company totals out at.

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Lifetime Member

My questions to you are;

Why is the insurance Co involved?
Did the dealer say that the damage to the engine is due to the high water from a few weeks ago?
If so why didn't the dealer catch this before?

Something doesn't sound right here, but that's just me.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.

Last edited by geewhiz; 09-15-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
My questions to you are;

Why is the insurance Co involved?
Did the dealer say that the damage to the engine is due to the high water from a few weeks ago?
If so why didn't the dealer catch this before?

Something doesn't sound right here, but that's just me.
....that was my question for Progressive too.... Why wasn't this caught two weeks ago!

The dealership said it was cause by the water damage... it doesn't sound right to me either....

Progressive did tell me when this happened 3 weeks ago they searched for a engine just in-case and they found one for about 2000 dollars. But I'm not sure if they will just get me a new one or one that is less than or equal to the 40,000 mile engine I have right now. But the guy on the phone @ progressive told me they wouldn't total the engine because the rest of the car is in perfect shape.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Lifetime Member

Insurance companies are something, they dictate your "choices" then srew you.
Ask Progressive if they them selves are hunting down an engine (which I doubt) or are they using an automotive shop for the recomendations. Also ask if you can find the replacement engine since it is your car. Remember, they are going to fulfill their end of the deal by the cheapest way out. You have options but they aren't going to give them unless you ask.

Mike
MODS;
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Well I brought the car to the dealership and they took apart the engine. They told me at the dealership they can get me a engine from one of there warehouses in like 3 days.

When I asked one of the Progressive reps about a engine replacement, he told me it would be a engine that is "less than or equal to the engine you already have" and that when this happened a few weeks ago they found a engine for $1000, does $1000 dollars seems pretty low for a engine with roughly 40,000 miles on it? too me it does, and wouldn't it just make more sense to just have a brand-new engine put in, would there really be many engines with less than 40,000 dollars in a warehouse someplace for this car?

too me, a $1000 just seems too low, but I do have options to fight for the replacement engine? I wasn't aware of this. The adjuster is going to look at the car at the dealership on Monday, should I see what they say and then argue if it doesn't sound correct, trust my gut?

Also if Progressive gets me a engine from one of there suppliers, would that engine still tie into GM's warranty, or would I need to make progressive get me a engine thru the dealership to keep my warranty. I'm just making sure if I do get a engine thru progressive does it void the warranty of the transmission if I use a engine that is a 'questionable' engine, if you know what I mean. at-least if the dealership ordered it, they would know its good, and its there butt on the line.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Lifetime Member

All I'm saying is no one has more to loose than you. Don't sit back and think they will treat your car like its theirs, take the extra steps and do some checking. Its your car, your policy and your choice. At the end of the day they too are just looking to go home, they have their cars.
The questions you are asking are good ones but if you don't get the answers in black and white they are meaningless.
I don't quite understand what's up with your situation but safe advise is, "ask your questions and get the answers on paper".
Insurance companies and dealerships make more money by giving you as little as possible hoping you won't notice you just got fkd. If you don't ask, they won't tell.

Mike
MODS;
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Lifetime Member

Ask the dealership and the insurance Co, "why aren't you putting a new engine in my car?" then ask to have that answer in writing. When you have a documented reply (with a name) double check it with their boss.

Mike
MODS;
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Talking Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
Ask the dealership and the insurance Co, "why aren't you putting a new engine in my car?" then ask to have that answer in writing. When you have a documented reply (with a name) double check it with their boss.

Thank you for your advice.

I talked to the adjuster today, and because I had the 5 year /100,000 mile warranty that is still good until July of 2013, they had to award me a new engine. He told me the reason behind this is because the transmission is still covered by the warranty and if it was placed with a used engine it would void the warranty. He also told me because the engine only had 40,483 miles on it was another determining factor.

So they made a check out for $5600 and told the dealership to order the engine from GM. So I guess I got the better of the deal and got a new engine.

Thank you everyone for your advice, it really helped me, I asked and they had to award me the new engine. Now I guess I'm wondering if I should ask the dealership if a CAI like the K&N Typhoon, voids the warranty if I put that into the car. I want one but I'm hesitant.

Last edited by deathmage; 09-19-2011 at 02:29 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 04:38 PM

That's awesome! That'll add a lot of overall life to your car.

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Lifetime Member

Awesome!!!

Mike
MODS;
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Talking Sweetness!

Well I stopped by at the dealership on the way home from work. The head mechanic told me he had bad news, they don't make the 2008 model 3.5L engine anymore. So they would have to buy me a 2011 model engine.

Also he asked me if I just wanted the 3.6 L model engine for an additional $100 dollars, since its fit in the same engine compartment and it mounts to the transmission and Cat converter. So I said yes.

I was thinking in my brain "Shit so I got a newer model engine and a slightly larger engine"..... and its still covered by the warranty for another 60,000 miles!

I guess my question I gotta ask once everything is installed, if a CAI would void the warranty, but my friend at Autozone said it doesn't void it at all. He told me also my fuel economy would go up allot too. Would a CAI void my warranty?

Last edited by deathmage; 09-19-2011 at 05:19 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Lifetime Member

Ask the insurance adjuster! Just kidding,

I'm not CAI savvy.

Mike
MODS;
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM

It won't unless your dealer can prove your CAI caused damage to your car. Worse case keep your stock tube and airbox and if you car ever goes into the dealer for another problem swap the old intake on and act like it was always there.

Mods: GT-R exhaust, CRABs O3 w/FPU, 35% tint, 5000K HID lows/fogs, upper/lower recessed grilles, Racingline strut bar, concept darts, white LEDs everywhere
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Well I will be avoiding water and puddles in the future, But I just think that a CAI would be good performance wise and would elevate the air intake so its not so freakin low to the ground....

Question, do I need to remove the bottom part of the box, I think its called the Resonator, once I remove the box? would the air still flow into the area were the box used to be with the default air tube?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in