Long Time Browser, First Time Poster - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Angry Long Time Browser, First Time Poster

My names Mike, I have been browsing these forums for quite some time and finally have a good reason to post. I have a 2009 Pontiac G6 GT with about 74k miles on it. Before I even get into the issue, let me say I have not added anything to this car in regards to stereo system, alarm system, anything electrical, etc. The only additions have been strictly cosmetic. So about a month ago, I woke up and went out to get in the car to head to work and the car wouldn't start. I got a jump and headed to a local garage where they informed me the battery had a dead cell. Fair enough, I went to Auto Zone, got a new battery and everything is great!......No... well now about a week ago my LH headlamp went out, I replaced the bulb and everything seemed ok, the next day it blew again. When i went to replace it this time I noticed that the plug (with the wires) that actually plugs into the bulb assembly is melted? I took a wire brush thinking maybe it was just corrosion, but it is definitely melted. went with one headlamp for a few days and now the passenger side went out, I took it out and it too is melted. I called my local dealer to check on a wiring harness and he said the wires I need with the plug do not come with the harness and are only available with a new headlamp assembly... both sides will run me $300+. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

On a side note- I sell Aftermarket OEM replacement collision parts for a living and I have never seen an aftermarket one for a G6 that came with any type of harness whatsoever, so that is out of the question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 AM

You need a repair plug, should be able to find one at a local parts store. I know Advance Auto sells them, it just needs to match your bulb socket..
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Lifetime Member

Welcome Mike,
So, the plug for the LH assembly melted? Wow, same OEM bulb?

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

I tried Auto Zone..

I had the manager at Auto Zone come out and take a look at it along with one of the other workers. After we half-pulled the cover off to get the headlamps out, he said they did not have any kind of plug that would interchange for what I was needing. I also checked with Napa. Both lamps had the OEM bulbs in them as far as I know, the car has never been in an accident and the headlamps have never been replaced. It was very odd how the LH side melted a week before the RH. It made me wonder if there is possibly a short somewhere? I ran a drain test and it came back good. I'm at a loss at the moment, can't afford to spend that much on new headlamps at this time... When the LH first went out, I didn't think it was the bulb because it still looked ok (the springs were still good and everything). So I probably threw my OEM bulb away for no reason...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Here's the OEM part # for the low beam headlamp connectors (both are the same). Not sure if this will help you much.

GM 15393198

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Greenman

@ Greenman, I appreciate that, unfortunately that's a partslink number, the dealer is not able to cross those numbers. I took my car into a local dealer yesterday and actually had one of the guys in the service department come out and look at it, we didn't pull it out but i did explain it to him and he said I would have to get the whole headlamp assembly. What a pain in the ass....
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Storm Trooper

sounds like a unique issue. never heard of that. what you can do is get some aftermarket headlights. we finally have good ones but DO NOT BUY SPYDERS they are like shining a 3watt bulb through mud. they look nice but if you drive at night you will die

Lampoon has the new set and i am sure he would point you in the right direction.

Also can you show me pictures of where it is melting? is it the main harness that connects to the headlight unit or the harness that connects to the H11 bulb?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

@ Tupperware, it is the harness that plugs into the bulb, I will try to get a picture of it posted within the next day or so. Every one I have talked to is saying they haven't run into anything like this before on a newer car... I can get brand new DEPO or TYC (CAPA Certified) OEM replacement aftermarkets from my work for cost, but they do not have any part of the harness with them, it is just the headlamp assembly itself.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Storm Trooper

shiz... i have an extra headlight i can try and gut the harness from and send it to you. i have no use for it.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

@ Tupperware, man I appreciate that, don't gut it yet though. Let me post a picture of what I am working with so you can see what's going on. I have never seen them do this before, very strange. I will try to get a picture posted sometime this evening if I can. Thanks Again!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Just to make sure I'm on the same page as you guys..

The arrow represents the plug that is melted on my car. That plug has two silver contacts in it and the plastic is melted all around them. I just wanted to post this to make sure I wasn't sounding like a dumbass trying to describe this to you guys.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MELTED PLUG2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	2432  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Storm Trooper

that is not a problem. i will go home and gut the spare light housing i have. i can send you the guts if you give me shipping. real shipping not a general postage fee. i think the USPS has a flat rate for under $10.

also if you go to G6P there is a guy named BlueGTP33 who used to paint headlights for people and i am SURE he has parts piled up he would love to sell or get rid of.

Shoot me a PM and we can work out the details.

Cheers
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

@ Tupperware, I don't think gutting your headlamp will get you the piece that is melted on my car. The piece that melted is not attached to the headlamp itself. **see pic above**

Thanks!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Storm Trooper

i know. it is the wire harness within the unit. it has the connector for the High, Low and turn signal. then it exits in to a 5 pin white harness that is on the outside of the unit protected by a rubber weather plug.

Right?

hell i will rip it out and take a picture and if you dont want it then NBD. honestly it is just a single headlight that has been VHT tinted but the guy who did it tiger striped it so i was never goign to put that on my car. now it was goign to be internal replacements (if needed) it has been 2 years and it still sits there.

no harm done.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that actually does sound right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in