Rack and pinion getting replaced - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Rack and pinion getting replaced

As you all probably remember my husband took my car in to be looked at. Well they called today and said my Rack and pinion is in. I thought my husband said the steering gear, it may be the same thing I'm not sure. I had to take it to another dealer to have the steering wheel looked at because it was making a sound in the steering wheel. Well that dealer said it was a bushing(I think) the rubber that goes around something in the steering wheel and it gets wore out making the sound. Well I called my dealer back today to tell them about that and they said that if it's the bushing that they think they are talking about then it will be replaced with the rack and pinion because it's the whole steering column. Does anyone know if the rubber rings (bushings) are replaced when they replace the rack and pinion? He still says they never heard any sounds just a lot of play in the wheel and that's why they are replacing it. They have already replaced my Steering shaft before 32,000 miles and now this at 38,700. I'm so glad that I took out the GMPP Major Guard warranty now. I know they said they will have to send it out for a front end alignment to. Anyone else have this done before? Thanks for reading.

2010 G6 GT Black 41,000 miles. Under GMPP Major Guard warranty until 112,000 miles.

~Regina

Last edited by reginaalear; 09-20-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

I finally got my car back. The sound in the steering wheel is gone. They said there was to much play in the steering wheel so that's how they knew it needed it. That's also why they said I needed a new steering shaft a couple months ago. I just hope I don't have anymore problems with the steering. I'm starting to get worried that I got a bad car. I had a Grand Am before and never had to replace nothing so I was hoping that's how it would be with my G6. I'm at 38,800 miles and have had the steering shaft and rack and pinion replaced. I also had to get a new Key Fob becase my unlock button quit working on my old one. Are steering problems common on the G6 or am I just having bad luck?

2010 G6 GT Black 41,000 miles. Under GMPP Major Guard warranty until 112,000 miles.

~Regina
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:57 AM

My 04 did that with less than 40K, they all do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

reginaalear:

The fob probably could have been fixed with an under 10 dollar replacement button pad. Very common issue.

You might want to edit your signature as it indicates you are still under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Last edited by greenman; 09-24-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in