Leaky Door - Adjustment/Alignment? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Sparky

Leaky Door - Adjustment/Alignment?

Hey all,

New G6 owner as of last weekend (06 4dr 2.4L)...upgraded from a Grand Am (gotta admit I loved my Grand Am but she finally died on me, so I decided to go with the next gen)...

Really like the car so far just one issue I hope will be an easy fix; The passenger door is leaking, water is building up under the tweeter. I do not have a sunroof and am aware of the drain tube issue. The passenger door seems to need adjusting. It doesn't sit flush with the rear door (it sticks out) and if I push on it while closed it has play. It appears the weather stripping on the door itself is not being pushed up on to the car's frame. I took one of the torx screws out from the striker plate/bar and they are tapped in place and don't seem to adjust.

Any suggestions? Am I better off bringing it to a body shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Garage
If the frame seems to be bent which is the most likely cause, the only way to fix it is brute force.
The dealer did it once for me, and I have also done it since because my passenger frame was slightly bent.
Open the door, put the window all the way down, put your knee on the door panel (inside of door) closest to where you think it is bent, and give the frame a nice pull. It will require a lot of force to bend though. When you are happy with it, slowly put the window back up to make sure it still goes all the way up. If it doesn't, undo what you did to a point where the window goes all the way up.
You should absolutely never try this with the window up as you risk breaking the glass.

06 GT - black on black
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN2SKI View Post
If the frame seems to be bent which is the most likely cause, the only way to fix it is brute force.
The dealer did it once for me, and I have also done it since because my passenger frame was slightly bent.
Open the door, put the window all the way down, put your knee on the door panel (inside of door) closest to where you think it is bent, and give the frame a nice pull. It will require a lot of force to bend though. When you are happy with it, slowly put the window back up to make sure it still goes all the way up. If it doesn't, undo what you did to a point where the window goes all the way up.
You should absolutely never try this with the window up as you risk breaking the glass.

Thanks for the info. I just had a friend of the family who does body work stop by and he did exactly what you just described. The door seems to sit very nice now. Ill wait for the next rainfall and see if the leak is gone and update. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in