Choking when mild acceleration in 4th - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Choking when mild acceleration in 4th

Just on the eve of hitting 100k miles Ive run into a minor problem that i want to address before it turns into a bigger problem. Most of the time I accelerate mildly in 4th (but not enough to knock it down to 3rd)the trans chokes for a few seconds. At first I thought it only happened when I was going uphill, but now I know that is not the case. It is easier when going up though. I've been up to par with my maintenance as well. I checked for any CEL codes with my laptop and no luck.

Note: I have the 4 speed.

Edit: I just got done messing with the car in tapshift in 4th. The car seems to jerk under mild acceleration after the car has gone into some "overdrive" mode (aka the RPM's drop below 1.5k and its hard to accelerate). Usually this happens between 40-55 mph and under 1.7k RPM.

Any ideas?

The feeling is coming from the transmission and its that same kind of bump you get when you run over something (without the actual car going up and down)

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Lifetime Member

It’s really hard to trouble shoot from here but I'll ask you a few questions because I'm just curious,
Can it be a stall in the engine doing this? Say, if the engine quit firing for a split second then once the fire returned it jolted the transmission? I'm sure you perform regular maintenance on your 6 but is it possible to have a dirty injector? I know I’m steering away from the transmission but I feel that you would have more trouble from the tranny in different areas if that was the cause of the problem.

Just guessing too.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Member Thingy

You would think something like that would show up as a CEL though. I've read of the problems being cracked/broken spark plug to lock-up torque converter. I'm going to go to my local AAMCO soon and get this sorted before I destroy my tranny (or engine).

I've tried forcing the problem for 5 seconds to see if I could get it to trip a CEL or any codes, but the car doesn't even know something is wrong.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Lifetime Member

That bites too! Good luck and maybe this stitch in time will save...

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 12:21 PM

I think I am experiencing something similar. My 2007 GT has 206K miles on it. Now the trans seems like it is slipping. People on other threads are having trans issues too so check those threads out as well. good luck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Member Thingy

Although this is just preliminary, I cleaned the MAF sensor and unplugged the battery (resetting the computer learnings) the other day. I havn't driven the car much yet, but it seems like the problem is gone (for now). I'll update this if it comes back. I doubt the problem was from the MAF sensor, so if anyone runs into this problem, try unplugging your battery for 10 minutes.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:14 PM

i had the same problem, i ended up replacing my throttle body and it fixed the problem.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in