Annoying humming sound @ 80km/h or 50mph - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Annoying humming sound @ 80km/h or 50mph

Hi folks,
My '06 4cyl has been making this annoying humming sound, seems to be coming from the front wheels and gets louder the faster you go. The humming sounds as if I had monster mud tires installed, which I don't.
It begins at about 50mph. I had the tires rotated, noise still there, same tone so today I replaced the front wheel bearing/hub assemblies on both front wheels. Brake pads had plenty of meat still on them, rotors looked fine.
Buttoned it all up excited about a silent ride but the noise is still there. No louder, no worse, the same.

Any ideas? It's rather annoying.

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited by NT1078; 10-10-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 11:06 PM

I have the same problem but was thinking it was the wheel bearings. I dont wont to replace the wheel hub assembly if it is not the problem =/
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:50 PM
New 6er

Are you sure it is coming from the front end? Because I have a similar problem but mine you hear when it hits 2100 rpm. And after doing research, I found out it is a common problem amongst the g6's... there is an air leak in the resonator. But the worst part, many dealers seem to say "they don't know what's wrong with it". I have known of a couple that have said it, but I am finally getting the exhaust replaced this week.

If it is coming from the front, then I think it could be several problems... everything you possibly listed, drive shaft or belts. I owned a van that did the same thing and the squeal was coming from the driveshaft (a specific component, but I am completely blanking on what it's called).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:30 PM

My g6

With my 6 the problem sounds like its coming from the front. More so than the left than the right side but possibly both. When im driving down the road I hear a loud humming noise and the faster I go the louder it gets. It gets hard to talk without raising our voices. ( pretty annoying) When I turn the wheel to the right it gets worse for the time being. Not much of a change when I turn the wheel to the left. I have recently replaced the belt, front rotors and pads, flushed the brake system, and got a couple new exhaust peices a year or two ago. I strongly believe that it is the wheel bearing but any other information to point me into the right way without playing hide and seek.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:39 AM
GXP

Is the ABS light on? If the wheel bearing was gonezo that would've popped up.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:25 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP View Post
Is the ABS light on? If the wheel bearing was gonezo that would've popped up.
That's not necessarily true. Bearings rarely trigger the ABS lamp.

Last edited by greenman; 10-11-2011 at 03:25 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.
To those of you experiencing a similar noise and haven't changed your wheel bearings yet, you should. I've read some historical posts of members that after replacing their bearings, the noise went away. Unfortunately I do not fall in that category. I don't have ABS, so I did not throw an ABS light.
The bearings are relatively inexpensive. I found them for about $80.00ea, and you can always do one after one pay check and the 2nd after the next.

It still seems the noise is coming from the front. My family and I went for a nice drive today and I could hear the noise. It almost feels like there is some minor resistance coming from some where while the car is rolling. Maybe rear bearings? I dunno.
Is there any bearings in the driveshaft transmission end that could make this noise?

Here's what I'm leaning towards, and I don't like it: Put up with it, and when something fails, I'll know exactly what the problem is.

Adam
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnickster4 View Post
Are you sure it is coming from the front end? Because I have a similar problem but mine you hear when it hits 2100 rpm. And after doing research, I found out it is a common problem amongst the g6's... there is an air leak in the resonator. But the worst part, many dealers seem to say "they don't know what's wrong with it". I have known of a couple that have said it, but I am finally getting the exhaust replaced this week.

If it is coming from the front, then I think it could be several problems... everything you possibly listed, drive shaft or belts. I owned a van that did the same thing and the squeal was coming from the driveshaft (a specific component, but I am completely blanking on what it's called).
When you get the exhaust replaced, would you please post to this thread and let me know whether or not the noise went away? Who knows, could be the same issue?

Thanks,
Adam
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resin8or View Post
With my 6 the problem sounds like its coming from the front. More so than the left than the right side but possibly both. When im driving down the road I hear a loud humming noise and the faster I go the louder it gets. It gets hard to talk without raising our voices. ( pretty annoying) When I turn the wheel to the right it gets worse for the time being. Not much of a change when I turn the wheel to the left. I have recently replaced the belt, front rotors and pads, flushed the brake system, and got a couple new exhaust peices a year or two ago. I strongly believe that it is the wheel bearing but any other information to point me into the right way without playing hide and seek.
That sounds a lot like a bad wheel bearing. If you're still under the powertrain warranty it's covered 100%.

You might get something from this:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/bf50360.htm

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 AM

my 6

My 6 doesnt have abs and has 110k miles on it. I plan on doing the work myself and was wondering if it would be cheaper/easier to replace just the bearing or the whole assembly itself.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:22 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resin8or View Post
My 6 doesnt have abs and has 110k miles on it. I plan on doing the work myself and was wondering if it would be cheaper/easier to replace just the bearing or the whole assembly itself.
I need to know your model year.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 AM

did you hit a curb before? cuz if you did, that's 99% coming from a bad wheel bearing.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

On mine the bearing and hub are an assembly, unable to seperate by the looks of things. The assembly is reasonably priced, just shop around at all your favorite car supply stores.

Now I'm wondering if I have a rear wheel bearing issue, and the sound is reverberating through the car? Hard to tell. I think I'll jack up the rear wheels this weekend and check them out.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM

I drive a 2006.

About 4 years ago or so I had an accident where I tried to use an on-ramp while it was raining going 50mph. Long story short I ended up hitting my left front smack into the jersey wall and bounced off. After that happened I thought I was off the road but some lady hits me from behind. No airbags went off (possible faulty something or other idk I get the service air bag message but usually goes away after about 5mins) and did a total of 8k damage to my car. Everything was replaced to the left front except the wheel hub/bearing. I have hit many a curbs in my drunken/ careless nights but it seems as though the problem slowly crept up and is slowly getting worse.

How would I be able to tell if the rear wheel bearings need replacing? Same as the front 6 and 12 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in