Steal or Deal? 2009 G6 with a Reconstructed title, priced low - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Steal or Deal? 2009 G6 with a Reconstructed title, priced low

Hi, I was considering purchasing a used Pontiac G6 since my 04 Grand Am was totaled recently (after someone cut me off). I had an 04 grand am and I was looking at upgrading to a used G6. I have about 10K to spend on the replacement car and I found something that sounds like a deal, I just donít know if itís a real deal or not so I would like a professional opinion.

I was looking on craigs list for a used car and found a 2009 G6 with 27K miles on it, for $9,000. I went down to take a look and the seller had about 20 cars they were selling in there lot, (including the 2009 G6). I took it for a test drive and it seemed to drive just fine. The guy said the only issue is it has a RECONSTRUCTED title on the car. The guy told me a pole originally fell and landed on the front end of the car and clipped the bumper, causing it to need a new front fender and a new right headlight. He said the driver side back window was also cracked, and when the insurance company evaluated the car they decided even though the repair cost would be minimal, they just decided to total the car. The guy told me now adays the insurance companyís often do this for several reasons, 1. So the state can collect a 20% fee (not sure if its 20% of the cars value or what) 2. He said the insurance will often total a car to keep the customer happy, ensuring the customer wont switch to another insurance company. After hearing that, the red flags went off in my head.

So I inspected the car all around, opened all the doors, hood, and trunk and closed them to ensure everything sounded right and made sure all the seals were tight which they seemed to be. The only suspicious thing I noticed was the drivers side window had some deep scratches in the glass, just like my old grand am had (I remember my auto body shop said it was due to a misalignment or something). So I wrote the VIN number down just so I can run a carfax but since I couldnít get a clear photo of the VIN on the dash, I took a photo of the vin number from the door sticker. I got home and was looking at the VIN and noticed the 10th digit in the VIN was a ď5Ē, so that means that door came from a 2005 car. Then it made sense- the original door in the G6 was probably replaced with a door from a 2005 G6, and thatís why it had the scratches in the glass (I was gonna say it took my grand am 4-5 years to develop deep scratches on the glass, I was concerned why this 2009 car had the scratches but clearly the door was pulled from a 2005 car after seeing the 10th digit was a 5 on the VIN sticker on the door). Just to make sure I was on the right track I checked door compatibility between the 2005 and 2009 G6 cars and they both car compatible. I also noted the chrome trim on the rear drivers side door did not line up 100%, it was slightly misalligned (but the doors themselves appeared alligned).

The guy said I can bring the car to any mechanic to check for issues, so I am planning on driving it to my mechanic so he can take a look on Thursday. Plus the car is located 40 miles away from my area so it will be a good stress test to put the car up to (driving it back and forth).

Now finally my questionÖif my mechanic checks the car over real good do I still have a major risk of having major problems with the car in the near future? My issues are that the guy did not tell me about the door being replaced, and he told me how the insurance totals cars (almost as if itís a favor from how he described it) which clearly is not true. So is it even worth having my mechanic check it out or would the red flags be enough to say its not even worth taking to the mechanic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Autobot Mechanic Lycan

Garage
i would go to auto trader and look for a loaded g6. assuming this one you found isnt loaded. is it? i mean for 10000$ it should have some eminities.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM

Personally, it sounds sketchy to me. Also, where I am from (IL) it is hard to get a good insurance rate on a "reconstructed" or salvage title. Then if you were to get into an accident, it may be a little harder to get the insurance company to cover it considering the title, ex: they won't know if the damage was prior or happened due to the accident. (We have had personal expieriance with this)

I would pass and try to find a different car. There are a lot of good deals. Just shop around.

JT

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 AM

If this was like a corvette, I'd say risk buying it, but for a G6 it's not worth it. You can find a good G6 with its original title for around the same cost, just gotta look.

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzaG6 View Post
If this was like a corvette, I'd say risk buying it, but for a G6 it's not worth it. You can find a good G6 with its original title for around the same cost, just gotta look.
for shore x2

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Good point about the insurance, I didnt realize it would cost extra also.

I guess the only reason I feel its a good deal is because I have been looking at prices for the G6 used and most of them in my price range it seems has 60k - 70k miles on them, and most are several years old (2006-2007) and for sure there is atleast a slight risk in buying a car with that many miles on it so if I am gonna take a risk and go with a used car I mise well go with a 2009 with very low miles, even if a problem did come up in the near future, chances are something would also come up with a car that had higher miles on it. Not sure if thats a good way to see it or not, but thats what goes through my head when I consitter another car in my price range (10k).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzaG6 View Post
You can find a good G6 with its original title for around the same cost, just gotta look.
Just wondering where you sugest looking? Do you mean like autotrader.com or cars.com and craigslist.com? Any other places that are good? I found a few but nothing my style, at this point the only requirment is the color (dark grey / light grey / silver).

What is the difference between a loaded G6 and a basic G6? Is it just alittle more HP and a sunroof? I had a sunroof on my old grand am but I didnt use it that much so it isnt on my must have list, but obviously a sunroof is better then no sun roof so it would be nice to have.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 PM

shop your local dealers too even though autotrader has that feature???
but loaded to me is like
sunroof or panoramic roof
leather, heated seats
monsoon audio package
power seats
stuff like that

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87797
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 10:56 PM

Did you decide to get it or shop around?

JT

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 07:39 AM
GXP

Ask the guy to show you pictures, he's taken pictures of the car through out the rebuilt to show to the salvage inspector before he comes and checks it himself. Also ask for a warranty, cars like this dont fail mechanically unless the buyer is an idiot. They usually buy cars that are hit and only need BODY work not mechanical work, if it was hit from the front then bumper, lights, hood, bumper support, and probably only the condenser/radiator. Its a good deal but you always have to think about resale.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 AM

i would probably look else where, given the fact i bought my 07 3.5 v6 from a used dealer with 35 k or 3 year warranty in 2007 for 14,500.00. The fact that pontiac is no longer in existence drops the cars resale value as it is already. Add the rebuilt title the complications with alignment and more then likely seals with the 05 door with 25 k no warranty. At the most i would offer him six
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

I decided not to buy it, since not even one person (friends / fellow car people I talked to) said it sounded like a deal. My friend who has a BMW recently had a car back into his car at a very low speed, never the less it caused over $2,000 in damages. He took it to the dealership to have them fix it (since he wasnt at fault the other person was), and when he got it back he noticed two missing parts, one was a head gasket and the other was a component under the hood. Small parts but if the dealership overlooked them two things, I can imagine how many things were overlooked when the car was rebuilt.

I am not saying I would never buy a rebuilt car, but just not from that guy. If he cant be honest with me from the start, I cant trust him in knowing the rebuild was done the right way.

I am considering a G5 however, a local ford dealership has an 09 with 44K miles, they just recently bumped it down to $10,999. If it was a grand less I think I would take it. They said they couldnt do any better on the price because they just lowered it (which I know they did because I googled the vin and I saw the prior listings where they had it listed at $11,999 and also prior to that they had it at $12,999). Its been over a week and they still have it listed, so I may give them a call and see if they would take 10K but I am still looking arround in the mean time.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 AM

The g5s are nice, I had one and traded it in on my g6. I had a 08 coupe SE, the back seat was surprisingly roomy. I only had a problem with the power steering (which had a recall) I hit a pot hole one day and lost the power steering and the gauges would flutter. Took it to the dealer, the replaced the part, really never had the issue again except occasionally the gauges would flutter or not work for a split second. Only real concern I had with that car was that the electrical box (which I was told controls EVERYTHING in the car was located about two feet from the rear bumper. If I hit a speed bump to fast or was rear ended to hard and that box was damaged in any way, it alone is enough to total the car.

Besides that, I loved that car. But I dont miss it, the g6 has so much more to offer..
JT

The "Upgrades"

The To-Do List
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was looking at a few other G6'S as well, just because they got so much more to offer. So itís like debating getting a newer G5 or an older G6 (with my budget). Still havenít decided yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in