Dashboard flickers when starting - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Dashboard flickers when starting

All,

I'm working on my GF's car and have been using this website for the few problems we've had on it. So far I've been able to get all my answers on here but this new problem has me stumped nor can I find a solution for it.

When trying to start her car the dashboard lights flicker and the car turns over but it sounds like it's having an issue starting. The CD play does not go through the CD's, no error's,...it starts but it takes a couple extra cranks to get it to turn over. Everything seems okay but I know this is leading to another possible issue.

~I've cleaned and tightened terminals on the battery and will be checking all the grounds and making sure they are clean and tightened down as well.

~I hear the fuel pump turning on

~No error messages appear

~Ran the diagnostics tool and get no error's.

This I will try is to charge the battery while I'm cleaning things and see if it'll help but in the mean time if anyone has had this problem and know a solution I'd be happy to hear the solution. Also any suggestions would be helpful. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:08 PM

Not sure, but you may need a new starter...

JT

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

I think I got it resolved but I told my GF to let me know if it comes back. I just let the battery sit on the charger until it was full again and also cleaned all the grounds (they were not bad but I had a VW that was having electrical problems and it was bad grounds so I'm going off the same idea).
Once I did all this and put the battery back in it fired right up on the first crank. I'll post again if it comes back. We do have issues with this car draining the battery rather fast. Is this typical for a G6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 02:35 PM

I haven't had any issues with battery drain. Is she leaving a phone charger or anything plugged in? That could b one explanation.....

Glad to hear u got the problem resolved tho.

JT

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:14 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krug38 View Post
I think I got it resolved but I told my GF to let me know if it comes back. I just let the battery sit on the charger until it was full again and also cleaned all the grounds (they were not bad but I had a VW that was having electrical problems and it was bad grounds so I'm going off the same idea).
Once I did all this and put the battery back in it fired right up on the first crank. I'll post again if it comes back. We do have issues with this car draining the battery rather fast. Is this typical for a G6?
You can have that batt load-tested for free anywhere they are sold.

No car should be drawing more than 50mA from the batt after the computers go to sleep. It's possible you have a parasitic current drain but you would need to know how to use a DMM with DC current testing to check.

These are pretty useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1318799549&sr=8-8

Last edited by greenman; 10-17-2011 at 03:02 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

We've already done a load test on the battery a few months ago and it passed the test. I do know how to work a DMM but to find a current drain on this car is like a needle in a hay-stack because it's almost all electronic now. Where would you suggest I check? Just go straight to the battery and then wiggle my way to the problem?

***EDIT: JTS, she's your typical techno girl. she has the radio on all the time and always has something in the charger. If the AC's not on then the heat is. She commutes an hour to work/school so I would think the long drive would keep the battery healthy but I could be wrong. When I get time I'll run through the electrical schematics on this car and start tracing if there is a current leak but I'll know for sure if it the signs come back again this next week or so. Thanks for the help anyway.***

Last edited by Krug38; 10-16-2011 at 06:24 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

You're welcome.

Last edited by greenman; 10-17-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in