2006 G6 Ignition Key sticks - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

2006 G6 Ignition Key sticks

The ignition key sometimes sticks in the ignition after driving but it only seems to happen during colder weather. A dealer wasn't able to recreate the problem so they weren't able to do anything about it.

It usually comes out after turning the ignition back and forth a few times and pulling with a little bit of force but I am worried that might be damaging something.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas what might be causing it or suggestions to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:03 AM

My mom had this problem with her grand prix.. We found out when she shifted into park, the gear wasnt clicking all the way.. Therefore not wanting to release the key. We fixed it but it comes back so she just cycles thru the gears...I've heard this problem is common on pontiacs, my g5 had done it and the 6 does it every once in awhile..
JT

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Are you able to share how you fixed it? Did you guys do it yourself or take it to a dealer? I don't really trust the dealers around me, have had bad experiences with them on either this car or our equinox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

more online research on this seems to indicate its a problem with the park lock cable that connects the ignition to the gear shift handle. The part that tells the ignition it can release the key because the car is in park.

What I can't find is a good explanation of how to fix it. Anyone know how to get at that cable and adjust it or is this well above a DIY fix?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:03 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaets View Post
more online research on this seems to indicate its a problem with the park lock cable that connects the ignition to the gear shift handle. The part that tells the ignition it can release the key because the car is in park.

What I can't find is a good explanation of how to fix it. Anyone know how to get at that cable and adjust it or is this well above a DIY fix?
The park lock cable is probably the culprit.

If you pm me with an email address & tell me which trany (4T45-E or 4T65-E) you have, I'll send the SI on that adjustment.

Last edited by greenman; 10-23-2011 at 12:38 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 08:20 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

for the 4T45-E:

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/at...1&d=1319336357

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parklockcable.png
Views:	643
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	2479  

Last edited by greenman; 10-23-2011 at 01:52 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 10:59 PM

We did it ourselves, just replaced the cable.. really wasn't too bad to get to or replace.. its been about 4ish yrs since we replaced it and only have issues in really cold weather...I honestly don't recall all the steps we took to replace it because we had the entire shifter column out when we found the problem.

JT

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:28 AM

My girlfriend has an older pontiac grand prix and she had this problem really bad. It is the park cable, her brother rigged it with some cable that runs into the ignition switch. It is rigged so that when you push up on the cable it will release the key.. dont ask me how he worked that out but it seems to be a fix lol. Hoping mine doesnt come to that!

2008 G6 Gxp Street Edition

Mods:Interior LED Neon Lighting, Debadged, 20% Tint, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, Res delete, Alteza black housing taillights, Spyder black housing headlights, CRAB O3 CAI, Airraid Throttle Body Spacer, Racingline Strut bar, 91 OCT WAMS Tune.

Audio:400.1 Kicker amp, 12" Kicker CVR Ported Box
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I was able to get to the end of the cable to make the adjustment, however, I wasn't able to get the console entirely off because I couldn't get the bezel off of the emergency break - anyone know a trick to that in case I need to get in there again? I was able to pull back to the bottom part but couldn't get the handle part off so I was only able to basically tip the console forward and reach in from the back. I was able to turn the little adjuster but I am not sure it was effective.

Good news though, at least so far, knock on wood, the key did not stick this morning when I got to work. I am just fearful that it wast just luck this morning and I will have to get the whole console off to do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in