06 GTP Auto... "slips" in Drive, but sport-shift works fine? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

06 GTP Auto... "slips" in Drive, but sport-shift works fine?

The problem is more or less as the title states, not sure I could describe it much more.

My younger brother has a 2006 G6 GTP, and he was just about to sell it, then this problem came up, so I'm doing whatever I can to help him out.

I took it for a drive the other day, and when in Drive, the car just seems like it's slipping, as though it's in between Neutral and Drive. If you put it over to the "sport shift" or whatever you want to call it, it drives fine. No slipping, no hard shifts, nothing weird.

The fact that it drives fine when "manually" shifting it makes me think it's either electrical or something valve related in the transmission.

The place he bought the car told him straight up that he needs a new transmission and they can't find one, and they're trying to offer him next to nothing on a trade in. I'm going to call BS on that at least.

I did a search here first and found some kind of similar problems, but nothing exactly the same. Surely somebody has had this issue before and has an idea.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by g666 View Post
The problem is more or less as the title states, not sure I could describe it much more.

My younger brother has a 2006 G6 GTP, and he was just about to sell it, then this problem came up, so I'm doing whatever I can to help him out.

I took it for a drive the other day, and when in Drive, the car just seems like it's slipping, as though it's in between Neutral and Drive. If you put it over to the "sport shift" or whatever you want to call it, it drives fine. No slipping, no hard shifts, nothing weird.

The fact that it drives fine when "manually" shifting it makes me think it's either electrical or something valve related in the transmission.

The place he bought the car told him straight up that he needs a new transmission and they can't find one, and they're trying to offer him next to nothing on a trade in. I'm going to call BS on that at least.

I did a search here first and found some kind of similar problems, but nothing exactly the same. Surely somebody has had this issue before and has an idea.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Have you checked it for GM trany codes? You'll need a scan tool that has that capability. A basic code reader won't work. Any trany shop can do this as well as a dealer. Takes about a minute to do.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Would the car not throw a light of some sort if there was a code?

I'm sorry, I'm really not familiar with GM's myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:03 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by g666 View Post
Would the car not throw a light of some sort if there was a code?
That's a common enough misconception. Many car codes & specifically trany codes won't light any indicator.

Last edited by greenman; 10-21-2011 at 09:48 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 11:26 AM

The transmission on my GTP went out at 86K with no warning. Manual mode was the only way I could drive it to the shop. Good luck, it's gonna be spendy and time consuming. It took a week to get a transmission put back in after finally finding only one out there in Atlanta. I was stuck in Minneapolis for an extra week.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 PM

Ithink I have the same problem. While accelerating, it seems like it is just spinning or disengaged for a few seconds. It also shutters some as well. I have 206K on my 2007. Any ideas other than new transmission?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 04:52 PM

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead. But I am having this same problem. I had no issues with the car in the last year and a half that I have owned if. I bought the car, 06 g6 gtp with 107k miles and I'm at 121k. The tranny decided to let go this last Thursday on my way to work. I was getting off the highway and it acted if it was in neutral. I put the transmission into sport mode or manual mode or whatever it's called and it drives fine with the exception of some shuttering. The tranny fluid is where it's supposed to be on the dipstick. It looks a little burnt. I don't know when the last transmission flush was. I need to know what I can do about this problem. Is it s simple fix, a big dollar repair or should I just get rid of the car? Help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in