Help!! Steering issue Not lockup issue - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Help!! Steering issue Not lockup issue

Hey got a pretty weird problem here just wondering if someone can go out and look at their car for me and tell me if this is normal or not. It's an 07 G6 4cyl auto with 17000 miles on it, we are test driving it and gonna buy it if this isn't a big deal...
So we've been driving it for 2 days or so and the very first thing i noticed is the steering turns easier to the left than it does to the right. So i've been driving around in the 9-3 o'clock position and it's definitely noticeable. NOT saying it steers Hard to the right, The right feels normal, the Left feels sloppy. I checked the front end wheels for play and everything seemed normal, except on the left side i could push the wheel in and it would turn the right wheel (is this normal? im not sure) anyways I noticed on the yoke that comes out of the transaxle there's about a half inch or more of BARE METAL around the end that goes into the transaxle (the rest is covered in rust) almost as its being pushed out or whathaveyou. Now i dont know how this would contribute to the issue but the bare metal rim sticks out like a sore thumb.

Could someone here with no steering issues go check their car and see if they have bare metal on their yoke or not? Also should i be able to turn the wheels left and right with the left wheel off the ground? because when the right wheel is off the ground and the left wheel is on the ground they wont budge. Also the tires seem worn on the outside all the way around on both left and right front..Is this how the tires are made for these cars???i'm used to trucks, the tread should be even all the way across, just seems weird it would wear on the outside only evenly on both sides. PLEASE HELP!! haha

We're looking to trade an 09 aveo with a Nightmare computer/sensor/wire harness issues so we would like to get into something without all new problems, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Yoke i'm talking about comes out of the transaxle on the left side of the car, just follow where your steering shaft should be. See if your car has bare metal on the side that goes into the cases, Could anyone do this for me?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I'd want to see the carfax report.

An '07 with 17k? I'd be concerned about that. IIRC, some have commented on this forum that they could reset the odometer quite easily though I can't remember the details.

I'm betting you have electric power steering in that car. EPS has always been a problem for GM. If there is a problem, the fix usually is a complete steering column/EPS replacement for about 600-700 dollars. Harder turning in one direction is one symptom of an EPS issue. Though typically it would appear as much harder turning in one direction.

Tires worn on the outside indicates an alignment problem. If they didn't bother to keep it aligned that's another red flag. You might run over to a tire shop & have them look at it. Could be the result of front end damage or wear.

Last edited by greenman; 10-28-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. Definitely GOOD INFO To look out for VERY Appreciated, thank you!! At this point we're gonna take it in and have it checked out. We're also gonna get the Carfax.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Tires worn on the outside indicates an alignment problem. If they didn't bother to keep it aligned that's another red flag. You might run over to a tire shop & have them look at it. Could be the result of front end damage or wear.

i agree with this...alignment issue for sure. no car (unless purposely aligned this way) should have uneven wear like that. definitely check out a carfax, etc. not sure on how "easy" it is to reset the odometer as greenman stated, but i have heard of members whos computers reset their odometers from an error, not sure how easy it is to replicate, but i'm sure someone out there knows how. i'd be wary, just my 2 cents.

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Sounds like tires never rotated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in