Please help, car is seriously wrecked - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Please help, car is seriously wrecked

This might be kind of hard to explain, so I will attach pictures. How this happened is a very long story, I plan to take it to the dealer tomorrow, but I just want advice from anyone who might have some knowledge about it.

First of all, I couldn't tell you exactly what I hit, but seeing my rims I am almost positive it was a high curb or something similar. Both rims on my passenger side are bent, the front rim is busted so bad that pieces of my wheel are missing. The tires (brand new) are also both scuffed, but somehow they are both holding air for now. But the rims & tires are not what I'm worried about.

The car pulls so bad towards the drivers side, that I have to keep my wheel turned 45 degrees right just to drive straight. My front wheel is sitting way too far back in the wheel well (meaning too far towards the back end of my car), so I know something is very seriously damaged. Im not driving it until I take it to the dealer because it rubs against my wheel well so bad that there is a constant loud noise the whole time I'm driving, even worse when I turn my wheel or when I brake.

I would appreciate any knowledge or help you guys could give me. Being a girl I don't know much about cars, and I'm going to college three hours from home so I dont have anyone to really help me out here. My manager at work said its probably something with my front axle. I know this is going to be a horribly expensive situation, but any advice will help. Thank you so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	2518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Rim.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Rim.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	2520  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Looks like you hit a curb while turning. At this point it could be anywhere from a simple alignment (along with replacing the rims/wheels) to a whole axis diagnostic which could include suspension and axle.

Although its up to you, if you don't feel safe driving the car, then have a tow truck come pick it up. I might cost you money, but it beats totaling your car when that wheel snaps off while your driving and causes you to run into a ditch. Some companies (insurance or AAA) would cover the towing expense.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Garage
Do not drive the car to your mechanic or dealer, have it towed there is clearly something wrong with the suspension or like.

06 GT - black on black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 PM

Its the upper inner tie rod, I did the same exact think to my car two years ago when I first got it. I paid quite a bit to have it repaired too, BUT I got some nice black rims for the car
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 12:45 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

My complements on the well done post including pictures.

Bad news: It's an expensive boo-boo.

Good news: Your tires are still holding air. At least for now.

Ditto on the inner tie rod being clobbered. It is designed to absorb a lateral impact by bending & hopefully save the other steering components. Matching those OEM rims is your biggest issue. You have three choices: either get them from at a dealer for a ridiculous price, find them used on ebay, or replace all four rims for something in stock at a tire store. The cost of two OEM rims from a dealer will probably exceed the cost of four new replacement rims from a tire shop (I'm guessing here). Also, you would most likely have to wait for the OEM rims to get to the dealer. If you need your car now I'd go to a tire shop with a bag full of cash or a credit card. Wish I had better news.

Depending on your model year & mileage, Pontiac roadside assistance may still be in effect for free towing:

Roadside Assistance Program
For U.S. purchased vehicles, call 1-800-ROADSIDE
(762-3743); (Text telephone (TTY): 1-888-889-2438).
For Canadian purchased vehicles, call 1-800-268-6800.
Service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Last edited by greenman; 11-08-2011 at 12:39 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

ahh thanks guys this all really helps. Do you happen to know if the roadside assistance would still tow it? Its an 07 and it has 98000 on it. also i already have a gm dealer that i have been to down here and i want to take it to them to fix the tie rod but could i still buy the stock rims off ebay and have the dealership put them on? does it look like ill for sure have to replace both of the tires and rims? just trying to figure out how much this is all going to cost, theres no way i can turn it into my insurance.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by khelfrich View Post
ahh thanks guys this all really helps. Do you happen to know if the roadside assistance would still tow it?
It's worth your time calling & asking them.

Quote:
...could i still buy the stock rims off ebay and have the dealership put them on?
Absolutely. You can bring tires & wheels to them. They just charge an install fee but it's not that much.

Quote:
does it look like i'll for sure have to replace both of the tires and rims?
Rims: Yes.
Tires: Yes.

Last edited by greenman; 11-08-2011 at 12:40 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Hey, what size rims do you have? I still have two stock chrome 17" G6 wheels if your willing to pay the shipping from NJ to where ever you are. They only have 28000 miles and are still in good condition. Ill sell them for cheap too
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Quote:
Originally Posted by attackofthegirt View Post
Hey, what size rims do you have? I still have two stock chrome 17" G6 wheels if your willing to pay the shipping from NJ to where ever you are. They only have 28000 miles and are still in good condition. Ill sell them for cheap too
The OP has 17" rims. Idk if she would want mismatching rims :\

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:47 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

I do have 17s but they aren't chrome, but thank you for offering.. I had it towed last night and when he picked it up he looked at it and said my a arm was bent pretty bad.. im still waiting for them to call me with the rest of the details. Not really loooking forward to hearing how much this is all going to cost me, but thank you guys for all the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in