Need help for my son - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Need help for my son

My son is coming home this weekend from college.He took his 2007 pontiac G6 in to the dealer they said that both catalytic converts were bad and needed replaced they want 1700.00 to do it? my son says some times it runs fine then it's like the engine wants to jump out of the car i figured i would do it my self i looked at my neighbors car today same car the front aint no problem but how do you get to the one on the rear of the block? looks pretty tight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
how many miles does he have on the car?

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
its a whole assembly.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:33 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
find a muffler house that will straight pipe it for ya!! unless you have to pass emission test...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Normally the warranty on the cats is 8/80 but there is now an extension for certain vehicles to 10/120:

Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension

__________________________________________________ _______________

#10134A: Special Coverage Adjustment-Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension - (Aug 24, 2011)

Subject:

10134A Special Coverage Adjustment Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension

Models:

2006-2007 Chevrolet Malibu

Equipped with 2.2L Engine (L61)

2008 Chevrolet Malibu

2006-2008 Pontiac G6

2008 Saturn AURA

Equipped with 2.4L Engine (LE5) and 4-Speed Automatic Transmission (MN5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bulletin has been revised to include 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6, and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5). Please discard all copies of bulletin 10134, issued November 2010.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some customers of 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 2.2L engine (L61); 2006-2008 model year Pontiac G6 and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5) may comment about the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. This may be due to erosion of the mat within the catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Dealers are to perform the necessary diagnostic steps to determine if the catalytic converter requires replacement. The customer should not be charged for performing the diagnostic check when it is determined that the catalytic converter is not the cause of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. A labor code has been provided to submit claims for such diagnosis. Any additional necessary diagnosis and repairs that are not related to the catalytic converter are not covered by this special coverage. The customer should be informed that any further service that is not covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be covered by this special coverage.

For 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6 vehicles: Vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 17, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 17, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6, and Saturn AURA vehicles: Vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after August 23, 2011, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to August 23, 2011, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 2.2L engine (L61); 2006-2008 model year Pontiac G6 and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5).

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Miles on car

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler76 View Post
how many miles does he have on the car?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 AM
GXP

x2 on the straight pipe, complete waste if you spend 1700$ at the dealership, try even finding one on ebay and going to a local to see how much it'll cost for installation.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:20 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzman View Post
Assuming the car does not qualify for the warranty extension I'd take it up with GM directly since you are just barely past warranty. They have been known to cut deals with owners in such circumstances. Especially if the symptoms started while in warranty. 82k is pretty poor performance for cats unless engine problems were ignored. You can start here & ask for customer service:

Pontiac Customer Assistance Center:
Inside the U.S.: 1-800-762-2737

Last edited by greenman; 11-16-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in