Rear ended - what to do now? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Rear ended - what to do now?

Hello everyone,

Been a little while since I have been on the boards - finally got a new job working normal hours ( m-f 9 to 5 ) and I realized how much time I spent on the forum at the old job - haha!

Anyway - yesterday on my way home from work and I'm in the fast lane about 1 car length behind the car infront of me, doing a good 2-4 mph ( break neck speeds ). I guess a 2005 Dodge Durango wanted me to go a little faster and slammed into the back of my car doing about 15-20 mph. No injuries, I was actually laughing with the guy about it while we waited for the police - 'Could have been worse' and 'Looks like aunt sally is off the christmas list this year, have to get the cars fixed!'

His bumper was hanging off a little at the right side, dented in the middle and scratched to all h3ll. My car - until I got home and inspected it in the garage, I couldn't tell anything even happened. No joke - this car is a tank!

The extent of the damage appears to be 'pressure' cuts/cracks in the paint, mainly around the license plate area. One section has flaked off ( smaller than a half dollar in size ) and I can see about 6 or 7 spots that would flake off just by driving through an automatic car wash.

Now that the novel is over - my question. What do I do now? The guy was really cool about it - We agreed that I will go to 3 locations, get estimates for repair and then he will cut me a check or give me cash - not going to involve the insurance companies unless the damage is pretty pricey.

Visually - not much damage ( I'm thinking repainting and I'm fine ) but I'm worried about the underlying possiblity of structural damage. Do I get estimates for the 'full' repair, get it repainted and add some $ to the christmas fund or do the 'right thing' and get the work done and have him cut the company a check for the repairs?

Never been rear ended, totally clueless on what to do. Thanks in advance everyone!!

David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 AM
GXP

This gives you a pretty good reason to get yourself a gxp rear bumper!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
my jetta was rear ended... i had the insurance come check it out, they gave me a check and took it to the body shop... they replaced the actually bumper fascia and the supports not sure of the actually name for it. good as new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:14 PM

I would have it it fixed. The bumper may look fine, but underneath could be damaged. If you were to just have it repainted if rear ended again it could cause a lot of damage and maybe even injure any one in the car as it would no longer have any "give" to it. Just my thoughts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

My G6 was hit in a parking lot in the back bumper fascia. I actually watched it happen and the impact absorber underneath was also damaged. So be sure and check it good.
Got a new one of those and had the bumper repainted since it was just damage to the paint. It still came out to like $600 if I remember correctly. Im just glad it was before I put the GM kit on it...although if I recall I think the damage was higher than the lower kit
so it prolly wouldnt have damaged it.

Anyways check that impact piece. It has arms that the lower valance attaches to and if they are cracked or broken your lower valance will wobble around when you drive as it wont have any support.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 05:33 PM

Get it fixed.
Soon.
Beneath the fascia is the impact bar. It's job is to absorb impact. Unlike the old days, this is a one time use piece. It absorbs impact and compresses to dissipate energy to that less gets handed out to the rest of the car. (in the old days, they were like a big shock absorber).

You can paint the fascia, but what happens the next time something hits it? That impact is coming through to the car and into the occupants. The other part is that an expert will be able to spot stuff you never thought of. Get an estimate, or 3, and get repaired back to the condition it was. No matter how friendly your other driver is, you deserve to bring your car to back to how it was before all of this happened.

Do this fast. A ' Gentleman's Agreement' on the side of the road has a tendency to dissipate pretty quickly. I hope you have something in writing or police report, because this stuff can go downhill pretty quick.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone for all the advice, glad you all touched on my concern on the underlying structural damage - Sure it only 'looks minor' but it could be a huge issue. Seems with others the damage was more than skin deep.

I was thinking 'hey I will be selling the car in less than a year, who cares' but with my luck, this wont be the only time I've ever been rear ended. I have already scheduled an appointment with the dealership ( high estimate ) and 2 local 'mom and pop' shops. Fingers crossed and all that.

Since I called the police, I did get a police report number, the cops name, DSN, time of accident, full written admittance of guilt on the other party and ensured the information that the man gave me was proper.

Lets see what the shops say - I will keep you all posted.

David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez26 View Post
A ' Gentleman's Agreement' on the side of the road has a tendency to dissipate pretty quickly. I hope you have something in writing or police report, because this stuff can go downhill pretty quick.
i definately agree.

good thing you called the police & they are
aware of it.

had someone promise to cut
me a cheque for a dent in
my other cars front end &
cant get him to cough up the money.

if he's covering it might as well make him pay for it =)

we call them G6′s
& its just me chilling. me and three bitches
rolling up its cool, come take this bong rip
pack this bold straight dope, make your lungs rip
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 12:09 PM

I had a simular impact and unseen untill they disassembled for repair was that the right frame rail where the bumper attaches had mushroomed, they had to bring some one in from the factory to fix it, luckly it was a dealer for repairs and the guy who hit me had good insurance, cost was about $2200 to fix it

Joe aka Lead_Foot
2008 G6 GT, Silver on Black
CAI - Done, Crabs AirBox - Done,
Magnaflow Exhaust - Done,
Racing Line Strut Bar, MMI, Grounding - Done,
WAMs - Done, Wheels - Done (Spare Pair),
Tires - Done, Fuzion UHP 225-50-17 98W

OBDCom.com - OBD II Software Interface
DashHawk.com - OBD II Hardware Interface
GtechPro SS - Performance Meter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in