Check engine light flashing - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Angry Check engine light flashing

Check engine light has been on for awhile. I got the codes read and it was the P0420 code so I know its the converter or the o2 sensor. Today when acclerating up to 60mph my check engine light started flashing. What could b the cause of that? Now I have another code pop up its the P0300. I read that it could be the converter causing that code

Last edited by rynniki; 12-04-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:06 PM

When the CEL flashes then you need to get the problem fixed immediately. P0300 is a random misfire code. Your cat is in danger of going into thermal meltdown. Your problems are greater than your cat going bad. It has gone bad because of all the unburnt fuel you are pumping through it.

Lima... where the men outnumber the women and the women outweigh the men.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Fix the P0300 code first and it will probably fix the P0420 error too since they are related.

http://www.p0420.com/

Link on suggestions for P0300:
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

even though the 0420 came up way before. The light is not flashing anymore its just on steady. The 0300 code just happened today
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynniki View Post
Check engine light has been on for awhile. I got the codes read and it was the P0420 code so I know its the converter or the o2 sensor. Today when acclerating up to 60mph my check engine light started flashing. What could b the cause of that? Now I have another code pop up its the P0300. I read that it could be the converter causing that code
The cat/s warranty is 8yr/80k miles & maybe more depending on your VIN. A plugged cat converter can cause enough exhaust backpressure to produce the p300. Cats are also destroyed by high misfire counts so in your case there is not really enough info to tell which produced what. Some OEM cats GM used have proven to have short lifespans & thus the extension of the warranty for some VINs.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:16 PM

The CAT wouldn't start to plug if there weren't HCs preset to begin with. I'm pretty certain the CAT is gone. Hopefully not, but all signs point to yes.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

what will happen if I keep driving it this week? I need to get back and forth to work. Its about 3 miles each way to my job. I was hoping to hold out till christmas break to get it fixed
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
what will happen if I keep driving it this week? I need to get back and forth to work. Its about 3 miles each way to my job. I was hoping to hold out till christmas break to get it fixed
Which engine & what model year do you have?

Did you notice the engine misfiring well before the 420 code popped?

Last edited by greenman; 12-04-2011 at 07:11 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

its a 2.4 engine and its a 2007 and no it wasnt misfiring at all till today
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Does it have a tune?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

do you mean a tune up?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
its a 2.4 engine and its a 2007 and no it wasnt misfiring at all till today
Then this warranty extension may apply to your vehicle. The catalyst structure may be failing prematurely, causing an exhaust backpressure problem. If so, & assuming you are within warranty (either 80 or 120K depending), you won't be out-of-pocket for anything. I'd try to get it to a dealer ASAP. If you're in a real bind, you can also remove the forward O2 sensor or drill a hole in the exhaust pipe upstream of the cat as the cat & the exhaust manifold are replaced as a unit on the 2.4l. This will relieve the backpressure but also make your car very noisy.

It is also possible that the misfiring preceded the 420 code, though I think that is less likely given your description of the problem & the 2.4l engine.

Keep in mind this is largely guesswork based on too little info.
__________________________________________________ _________

#10134A: Special Coverage Adjustment-Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension - (Aug 24, 2011)

Subject:

10134A – Special Coverage Adjustment – Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension

Models:

2006-2007 Chevrolet Malibu

Equipped with 2.2L Engine (L61)

2008 Chevrolet Malibu

2006-2008 Pontiac G6

2008 Saturn AURA

Equipped with 2.4L Engine (LE5) and 4-Speed Automatic Transmission (MN5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bulletin has been revised to include 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6, and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5). Please discard all copies of bulletin 10134, issued November 2010.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some customers of 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 2.2L engine (L61); 2006-2008 model year Pontiac G6 and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5) may comment about the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. This may be due to erosion of the mat within the catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Dealers are to perform the necessary diagnostic steps to determine if the catalytic converter requires replacement. The customer should not be charged for performing the diagnostic check when it is determined that the catalytic converter is not the cause of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. A labor code has been provided to submit claims for such diagnosis. Any additional necessary diagnosis and repairs that are not related to the catalytic converter are not covered by this special coverage. The customer should be informed that any further service that is not covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be covered by this special coverage.

For 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6 vehicles: Vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 17, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 17, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6, and Saturn AURA vehicles: Vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after August 23, 2011, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to August 23, 2011, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 2.2L engine (L61); 2006-2008 model year Pontiac G6 and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5).

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Last edited by greenman; 12-05-2011 at 02:10 AM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

I would definitely take advantage of that bulletin. Print it out and take your car (and the paper) to your nearest dealer. Try to get a friend or family member to take you to work for a day or two (at most).

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:39 AM

Quote:
do you mean a tune up?
No I meant an aftermarket tune. So I'm guessing That's a no. The info provided above about the CAT is your best bet. It may very well get all this fixed for you out of GMs pocket. Even if there were pending misfire codes prior to the hard fault CAT efficiency it's premature failure may have very well been the best case scenario.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead852 View Post
No I meant an aftermarket tune. So I'm guessing That's a no. The info provided above about the CAT is your best bet. It may very well get all this fixed for you out of GMs pocket. Even if there were pending misfire codes prior to the hard fault CAT efficiency it's premature failure may have very well been the best case scenario.
Even if the misfire caused the P0420 code, it would be wise to get the diagnostic anyways because of this statement in the bulletin: "The customer should not be charged for performing the diagnostic check when it is determined that the catalytic converter is not the cause of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp."

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in