Speed sensor issue? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Speed sensor issue?

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their g6.. Every time I'm on the interstate and I'm going downhill the speedometer goes haywire and starts bouncing on me. By bouncing i mean it'll show that I'm going 70 at the beginning of the hill and while I let off the gas my speedometer goes to 20 mph.. It'll go back up if I either hit the brake or hit the gas. And once it does this my cruise control kicks off. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Fly like a G6!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
That'd be my guess, but I'd wait for someone else to chime in.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBN28 View Post
Every time I'm on the interstate and I'm going downhill the speedometer goes haywire and starts bouncing on me. By bouncing i mean it'll show that I'm going 70 at the beginning of the hill and while I let off the gas my speedometer goes to 20 mph.. It'll go back up if I either hit the brake or hit the gas. And once it does this my cruise control kicks off. Any thoughts on what it could be?
I'm thinking that may be a problem with the needle motor in the IPC. Since the vehicle speed input is a critical input to the ECM & you are not complaining about any drive-ability issues (except the cruise control disabling), I suspect that the VSS input to the ECM is true. Now if you were also complaining about trany shifting & converter engagement issues I'd say it was definitely the VSS. Maybe you aren't seeing these other issues due to the problem being so intermittent. Easy way to check is with a scan tool that can read real-time sensor data. A simple code reader can't do this. Any repair shop has this capability. You would want to check the VSS value during an intermittent event...i.e.-while recreating the issue during a drive. Remember, even if a scan tool reading shows a faulty speed sensor signal, you will still need to check wiring and connectors before condemning the VSS.

If it is the needle motor, you are looking at a new IPC unless you are a very resourceful electronic tech. IIRC, the dealer gets in the $400 neighborhood for them. IIRC you may be able to get them directly from GM's supplier, a company called Specmo, for somewhat less.

If it's the VSS, they are less than $25.

I would first want to know what the real-time speed sensor data shows before doing anything. Since the ECM receives the speed sensor data & passes it to the BCM which in turn passes it to the IPC, it's a complex chain of events & I could be wrong about the IPC as the culprit. There are rarely easy answers on computer-controlled cars.

Last edited by greenman; 12-06-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in