Starting Problem - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Starting Problem

I have recently had the motor replaced on my 2005 G6 GT due to a key breaking between the cam shaft and the crank shaft. I was driving through the mountains in the snow and pulled over at the rest stop to use the restroom. When I used the remote start to try and restrat the car the engine started jumping and cranking wierd. I quickly got in and turned it off. When I tried to restart it would just keep cranking without turning over. Got a tow to dealer and a new engine in two weeks.

Before the motor went bad, this happend first at a ski resort. It appears to happen in could weather on a second start when the motor is warm. The first time the engine didnt break.

Now it has recently happened again, second start in cold weather, but i turned off the engine quickly since I was in the car. I don't use remote start anymore.

This start is somewhat different than the over crank that does occasionally happen. The second cold start seems to be a timing issue with the cylinders firing wrong, if that could happen?

Anyone else with this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:10 PM

Wow, that sounds serious.

You make it sound like it's the same problem all over again. Personally, I would take it into the dealer and let them have a go at it. If they couldn't fix it, I'd try and kill the second engine the same way the first one went. Then I'd get a new car.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:12 PM

My car occassionally seems to be a bit pissy about turning over. Unfortunately it happens both with remote start and with a traditional key based start so there's no way to peg it on one process over the other. It always eventually turns over, but sometimes it takes awhile to get there and I start to panic, remembering how my last car started with similiar symptoms and went downhill from there.

I'm in central TX, so it's not a cold weather issue for me, and it seems to happen only sporadically. When I took it to the dealership, one of their happy helpers wrote it up as "low power during start" and of course, they were unable to recreate it. At the same time however, they fixed an electrical problem in my car (only obvious as maplights were not working) and since picking it back up (within the last month), I've not yet had another starting issue.

So sorry to hear your car has been such a nightmare!
~Heidi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 08:21 AM

The only starting issue I had in 15 000 KM's is 2 or 3 times the enginine starter was engaged a bit to long. both with remote start and key. Doesn;t seem like a problem as the engine starts right up and the starter does not make that grinding noise so I doub't its harming anything.
Your issue sounds like a misfire or something alnog those lines.
Bring her in again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 01:55 AM

this sounds like the same exact problem I had see post
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763

Luckily my engine didn't break and it hasn't happend since. But ever since that incident I have been wondering if I have any long term engine damage. Your reports make me worried
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:16 PM

I have had this problem as well...sometimes it overcranks...but very sporadically....however today it cranked and didn't start at all...I am starting to get worried....if I keep having problems, I'm selling it and getting a Cadillac instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in