Engine blown? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Engine blown?

My husband and I own a 2006 Pontiac G6. While he was driving it this evening the car started to idle a bit rough and he noticed a slight ticking sound. He pulled over, checked the engine oil level, and it was fine. He got in to try and start the car, and it would not turn over. He let it sit for a few minutes, and tried to start it again. It started up, and the idle was back to normal, and though it was reduced it still had a ticking. we only live a mile or so away from where he was so he was going to try and drive it home. About 35 seconds down the road the engine stopped, but he was able to coast into a nearby parking lot. We had it towed home, but have no idea where to go from there. Anyone have any ideas??? Anything would be a great help. Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 AM

It could be a lot of things. Reason being, for example, you had a bad lifter... It finally fell apart and now took out a piston and part of the cylinder wall. So your issue was a bad lifter, but now your problem is a lifter, piston and engine block.

I am in no way saying that's your problem for sure, just giving an example. What you need to do is have someone who works on motors open up that engine and see what's wrong.

Good luck!

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:31 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNPeterman View Post
My husband and I own a 2006 Pontiac G6. While he was driving it this evening the car started to idle a bit rough and he noticed a slight ticking sound. He pulled over, checked the engine oil level, and it was fine. He got in to try and start the car, and it would not turn over. He let it sit for a few minutes, and tried to start it again. It started up, and the idle was back to normal, and though it was reduced it still had a ticking. we only live a mile or so away from where he was so he was going to try and drive it home. About 35 seconds down the road the engine stopped, but he was able to coast into a nearby parking lot. We had it towed home, but have no idea where to go from there. Anyone have any ideas??? Anything would be a great help. Thank you!!!
Its awfully hard to diagnose an issue based on that amount of info. Assuming it was dark enough, did you notice the headlights dimming? I'm thinking maybe it's an alternator issue. You can have the charging system checked out at any tire store for free. Is the check engine lamp on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in