Year of Failures - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to CharlesP2009 Send a message via Yahoo to CharlesP2009
Unhappy Year of Failures

Oh 2005 Pontiac G6 GT, why has thou forsaken me? This has been a year of failures and expensive repairs and who knows what the future holds?

My 87,000 mile car hasn't been abused, never been in an accident, and I've treated it to all scheduled maintenance and fully-synthetic oil. Still, I've had a timing cover coolant leak ($600), fuel leak on that crappy plastic elbow tubing at the fuel pump ($800), and brake lights being stuck on due to BCM connector corrosion ($8 for dielectric grease). Naturally all this happened after my extended warranty ran out, and GM hasn't done a sufficient recall on the potentially dangerous brake light issue. The fuel system problem seems to becoming more and more common as well, no recall there yet.

Some of the interior isn't holding up too well either, why oh why does that plastic has to be so cheap cheap cheap?

I wanted to buy American but after the bailout, the apparent quality issues, and not to mention the death of Pontiac, I'm gonna have to defect to another manufacturer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 06:55 PM
G6's resident led guru

Garage
gm's quality is getting better i've rode in a few new ones that are better than mine but the one that really impresses me right now is dodge
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 PM

are the 08's having these problems? I just bought one today....haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to CharlesP2009 Send a message via Yahoo to CharlesP2009
Oh nice, GM recalled several 2007 cars for a fuel pump leak just today; I guess it truly was a defect and spread across several years and models. Dig deeper GM, your '05 Pontiac G6's had the problem too! I know from personal experience!

Last edited by CharlesP2009; 10-01-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2225 View Post
are the 08's having these problems? I just bought one today....haha
I have a 2008 with 55,550. Just watch out for the catalytic converter. You should have a recall for it. Other than that the 08's are great.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:03 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesP2009 View Post
Still, I've had a timing cover coolant leak ($600),
Which engine you got?

Quote:
fuel leak on that crappy plastic elbow tubing at the fuel pump ($800),
I agree. All the pumps using that particular plastic tubing outlet should be recalled. Not just in some "hot" states & only some models. It's a serious safety hazard to have a leak in the (60 psi) pressurized side.

Quote:
and brake lights being stuck on due to BCM connector corrosion ($8 for dielectric grease).
Another serious safety hazard but if the terminal cleaning is done correctly it can be fixed cheaply. I think GM should be recalling for this issue & taking care of it but they never asked for my opinion.

I sometimes get pissed off at GM too but the only manufacturer that I've seen that really does any better is Toyota. I have been shocked at some of their recalls on very old cars & not even for safety hazards. Most people that I know that own Toyota's are very loyal Toyota customers so they are doing something right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in