Throttle Position Sensor Problem! - PLEASE HELP - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Angry Throttle Position Sensor Problem! - PLEASE HELP

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and this morning my "check engine" light came on, and when I drove home from work I received a "reduce engine power" notice.

I took my car to AutoZone for a diagnostic check, and received the error P2135 and P0121 - which relates to the Throttle Position Sensor. After speaking with an employee, he stated that I'd probably need to replace the entire throttle body.

My question is: how easy is it to replace the throttle body. My father used to be a mechanic way back when, and can do a lot of basic things on cars. Has anybody replaced one themselves? What does this entail? I'm just trying to figure out if he can easily replace it, or if I should shell out the money to take it to a repair shop.

If anybody could provide some insight ASAP, it'd be greatly appreciated as I'd like to get this fixed tomorrow.

Last edited by km9115; 12-16-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: re-titled to gain more results
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 06:35 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Its really very easy. There's a good how-to in the Chiltons for G6.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Is there anywhere I can find the manual somewhere for free? I bought my car used and unfortunately it didn't come with a manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I've no idea.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 10:54 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Im fairly sure you can use the chilton manuals at autozone... But check your local library. Every library I've been to has had a complete collection of service manuals. Weird but very helpful...

But what I recommend is testing the sensor at the pedal itself. This car has an electronic throttle. And it could be the sensor at the pedal that is at fault. Giving the computer jarbled info and therefore not being able to control your TB well enough. I'm sure if you look or maybe even try calling a dealer you can find how to test em. It's the same sensor used in a shit ton of GM vehicles and i'm sure the procedure to test one is the same as all the rest.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 12:23 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by km9115 View Post
Is there anywhere I can find the manual somewhere for free? I bought my car used and unfortunately it didn't come with a manual.
Actually, this is so simple, I'm not sure you even need a how-to. It's pretty intuitive once you see the new part. I can't remember if the new throttle body comes with a new gasket or not. Make sure you replace the old gasket.

Last edited by greenman; 12-17-2011 at 12:34 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 12:32 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
But what I recommend is testing the sensor at the pedal itself. This car has an electronic throttle. And it could be the sensor at the pedal that is at fault. Giving the computer jarbled info and therefore not being able to control your TB well enough. I'm sure if you look or maybe even try calling a dealer you can find how to test em. It's the same sensor used in a shit ton of GM vehicles and i'm sure the procedure to test one is the same as all the rest.
Both of those codes are TP sensor codes. There are two redundent TP sensors in the throttle body. The 2135 code tells you that the two sensors disagree with each other. That's causing the 121 sensor performance code to pop. When the sensors disagree, one of them is failing. The engine will run with one functional sensor but the PCM will only allow it to run in "reduced engine power" mode. This redundancy is to prevent runaway acceleration (think Toyota). The accelerator pedal position sensor is monitored by its own codes. This is a pretty easy call. Autozone got this one right (for a change).

Last edited by greenman; 12-17-2011 at 12:55 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 02:06 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Alright, i wasn't sure if the pedal position sensor has it's own set of codes or not. thanks for the clarify!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your help -- I think I can have my dad replace the part. We just ordered the part, but the person we ordered it from stated that we may have to do a "re-learn" process...

Does anybody know about this?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 01:28 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by km9115 View Post
Thank you for your help -- I think I can have my dad replace the part. We just ordered the part, but the person we ordered it from stated that we may have to do a "re-learn" process...
No relearn procedure is needed.

I would still encourage you to pick up the Chiltons book if you plan to try to do your own car repairing. It's money well spent.

Last edited by greenman; 12-18-2011 at 12:48 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Varsity Squad

Garage
I agree with Greenman, either get a Chilton's OR Hayne's repair manual if you want to save money and do your own repairs. I know the Hayne's manual is about $20 and it has paid for itself with it's step by step directions and pictures.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 AM
bfc

public library....Some good libraries have access to thousands of manuals to check out for free. the TPS sensor is plug and play pretty easy to fix and only costs is 40-80 dollars. If you go to a junk yard and get a whole throttle body you will need to clean it and may end up with something 'not right or not working' also check rock auto for the part may be cheaper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in