06 GTP Cold Air Intake check engine lights? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

06 GTP Cold Air Intake check engine lights?

hey everyone, I have a 2006 G6 GTP manual, just installed a cold air intake i ordered online. I installed last night and drove all day until now, and the check engine light just came on. I got the code read at autozone and they said Bank 1 and Bank 2 sensors are reading that the car is running too lean (too much air). It said right on the print out that they gave me that if they both are on at the same time it is most likely the mass flow sensor. I know that this isn't a coincidence and that it is obviously a result of installing the intake, I am working on re-installing the stock intake as we speak. My question is if i re-instal the stock system up until the airbox and just put the cone filter on instead of the box, would it keep throwing me the codes? I see that a lot of people on here have installed just the cone on the stock piping so I'm wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue. My next question is is anyone has had issues with the CRAB box (which I am quickly realizing is what I should have bought in the first place) throwing codes on the 3.9 liter engine. I plan on having an exhaust system installed this summer and really want an intake to be in place, so any help would be appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Varsity Squad

Garage
I have an 06 GTP 6spd also, and I have not had any problems with my intake causing lights to come on. I started with a cone filter attached on the end of the mass air flow w/ stock piping and then made a heat shield later. Now I have some piping from Auto Zone that I attached to the mass air flow and piped my cone filter into the front bumper after removing the air intake resonator. That is what I am still running. If you need a mass air flow sensor I have a brand new one that I thought I needed, but had a broken wire instead. I will give you a really good deal on it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Well I took the piping all out and put the stock plastic piping back in and just left the cone filter on the end of the MAF. The check engine light went off for now, I'm still confused as to how switching from plastic piping to metal made the light go on, maybe there was a leak somewhere that I overlooked. I'm just gonna leave it how it is for now and order the CRAB air box sometime in the next couple weeks. Guess I shouldnt have ordered an odd brand and just went with what worked for everyone else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Varsity Squad

Garage
A life lesson learned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in