Car jerking/hesitates at ~45 MPH - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Car jerking/hesitates at ~45 MPH

We have a 2008 G6 with a V6 engine. About a month or so ago, the car started hesitating, almost a sharp jerking, when it gets to around 40-50 MPH. We took the car to the dealer where we purchased it and they were unable to find anything because there were no codes present. This obviously means we are imagining it, NOT. It doesn't happen every day but more days yes than no. It doesn't happen at lower speeds. Car has about 47K miles and has had all maintenance performed. Any ideas or things to look at would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

if I was guessing & it had no code I would run some Techron through the tank
thinking it was a clogged injector....

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Troy

this happened on one of my previous cars, it was the spark plugs and the distributor.

Work Done:
GTE Stage1, RAIZIN voltage stabilizer, CAI, 18" Driftz wheels wrapped in General G-Max, JET V-Force Plus, Magnaflow exhaust, Eagle Eyes w/ Notto HID conversion, VHT Nightshade taillights 10"JL Audio sub in ported box, CRABS, eibach springs.
[SIZE="3"][B]Near Future Work:, MPD Ram Air Hood, Window Tint, body kit, stealth paint job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

but wouldnt that throw a code...? His has none....yet! lol

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Any type of miss, or lean condition, like a clogged injector will cause a code to be set. Ignition, fuel system, vacuum, or torque converter issue would be my guess, but any of the above will set a code!

Alpine s10" dual 2 ohm voice coil Subs in a ported box JBL GTO-14001 1500w amplifier, tint, stock everything else! Gotta fix the broken stuff first!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Codes don't solve everything. I think one of my spark plugs/wires/coils is bad but I'm not going to spend hundreds finding out which one until I get a code. I had it flashing CEL for 10 seconds but it never stored a code (trust me, I have the stuff to find out).

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. I will be trying some cleaner in the fuel tank to see if it's the injectors, along with some premium gas. We'll see how that goes and move forward.

Also, is the power train warranty 50K miles?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjo1 View Post
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. I will be trying some cleaner in the fuel tank to see if it's the injectors, along with some premium gas. We'll see how that goes and move forward.

Also, is the power train warranty 50K miles?
100k if I recall

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM

The jerking happened in my car also(G6 V6 GT). Especially around 45mph. I took my car to the dealer (after they fought me on it) to find out that it was the spark plugs (whicjh BTW arent covered under warranty, so if you dont have a warranty it can de pricey if it's more than one plug.) Best bet would be to take it to a local shop to see what they would charge you to replace the plugs. Ever since they replaced the plugs everything works AMAZING and the car drives really smooth.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilhanson14 View Post
The jerking happened in my car also(G6 V6 GT). Especially around 45mph. I took my car to the dealer (after they fought me on it) to find out that it was the spark plugs (whicjh BTW arent covered under warranty, so if you dont have a warranty it can de pricey if it's more than one plug.) Best bet would be to take it to a local shop to see what they would charge you to replace the plugs. Ever since they replaced the plugs everything works AMAZING and the car drives really smooth.
Just the plug? Plugs are cheap and easy to replace (except for the rear ones).

What was wrong with the ones you had? Worn? Broken shell? Faulty?

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Last edited by Abyssul; 01-13-2012 at 12:09 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 PM

It was the plug and wiring for the plug. They were worn and corroded
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 PM

hesitation/shutter no engine code

hey guys, same issue here, I have a manual tranny 06 gtp. The car seems to hesitate in 4th gear right around 43 mph. Have no idea why. also the car seems to shutter or almost feels like i am going over small bumps in the road even though its completely flat. Could this be caused from a clogged cat? When I take the car out of gear there is no shutter. I had my throttle body cleaned, spark plugs replaced, wires replaced, had my driveline completely checked because at first it felt like a vibration but it is different. (wheels balanced, alignment, tires checked, cvs-tie rods- ball joints all checked). I feel it if I accelerate quick or cruise, and feel it more when I coast.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:38 AM
jml

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjo1 View Post
We have a 2008 G6 with a V6 engine. About a month or so ago, the car started hesitating, almost a sharp jerking, when it gets to around 40-50 MPH. We took the car to the dealer where we purchased it and they were unable to find anything because there were no codes present. This obviously means we are imagining it, NOT. It doesn't happen every day but more days yes than no. It doesn't happen at lower speeds. Car has about 47K miles and has had all maintenance performed. Any ideas or things to look at would be appreciated.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 AM
jml

Several years ago, having a Olds Intrigue 3.8 L, that smillar jerking effect happened and around this speed, car on top gear. No code. In my case, that was a defective wire (cracked or burned..) A cracked or broken sparkplug would make run the engine very rough right away at any gear. This happen with a Pontiac 6000 , 2.8 L.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrisak11 View Post
hey guys, same issue here, I have a manual tranny 06 gtp. The car seems to hesitate in 4th gear right around 43 mph. Have no idea why. also the car seems to shutter or almost feels like i am going over small bumps in the road even though its completely flat. Could this be caused from a clogged cat? When I take the car out of gear there is no shutter. I had my throttle body cleaned, spark plugs replaced, wires replaced, had my driveline completely checked because at first it felt like a vibration but it is different. (wheels balanced, alignment, tires checked, cvs-tie rods- ball joints all checked). I feel it if I accelerate quick or cruise, and feel it more when I coast.
A partially clogged cat will act like a rev limiter. If you can still snap the throttle wide open & the tach responds appropriately, it's not the cats. Checked it for codes? How many miles? You should clean your MAF sensor if you haven't lately. Yours is a very difficult problem to diagnose without seeing the live engine data.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in