Light behind temperature control knob is out - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Light behind temperature control knob is out

The light behind my temperature control knob is out. At night, I cannot see the blue/red lines. Good thing I know what side each is on. Temperature can still be adjusted. However, if I try to change to 'recirculate air' the small yellow light flashes and then goes back to the light for 'fresh air'. Each not vital but a nuisance at this point since I don't use recirculate in the winter. Can this be repaired? Is there a bulb behind the panel? I don't see a fuse for this problem.

'07 G6 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:12 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT2007G6 View Post
The light behind my temperature control knob is out.
IIRC, those lamps are surface-mount LEDs. Unless you are an electronic technician or know one they are pretty challenging to replace.

Quote:
However, if I try to change to 'recirculate air' the small yellow light flashes and then goes back to the light for 'fresh air'.
That is by design per the owner's manual.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:09 PM

I have the SAME issue in my '08 G6 V6. They just recently started going on/off. (it depends on the day).. and you're right.. it's more of a nuisance than anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
IIRC, those lamps are surface-mount LEDs. Unless you are an electronic technician or know one they are pretty challenging to replace.

That is by design per the owner's manual.
Where is that stated in the manual? As of right now, I can't switch to recirculate. I never had this problem prior to the backlight going out.

'07 G6 V6
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:25 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT2007G6 View Post
Where is that stated in the manual? As of right now, I can't switch to recirculate. I never had this problem prior to the backlight going out.
Reread the section on climate control system.

The indicator light will blink three times if you try to use recirculation in a mode that it can not be used in.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 06:35 AM

The same thing happened with my grandam (which I had prior to my g6). I assume it would work the same with the g6- the bulb is soldered in place.

So the issues you are going to have is getting the dead bulb out since it requires desoldering, allthough it is fairly easy if you have any soldering experience. The only other problem you will have is locating a working bulb. Not a standard size you can just order, (for the grand am atleast...would assume the same for the G6).

What I ended up doing was ordering a used climate controll box on ebay and I took the bulb off and also took the used bulb out of my original, and installed the good bulb where the bad one was. I didnt just swap out the whole controller because I knew my controller worked it was just the bulb that was dead (chances are the used replacment box worked too but I just wanted to do it that way since I knew for sure my controller box worked perfectly asside from the burnt out bulb).

You can get a used climate control module for the G6 on ebay- less then $20 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-PO...item41612957f6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in