Driverside noise, deep in dash - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Driverside noise, deep in dash

I have a 2009 Pont. G-6 with 21,000 miles. I purchased the vehicle new and it's still under warranty. A rattle or thumbing noise has developed on the drivers side deep in the dash when the vehicle is in motion. The noise is most prevalent when driving on a bumpy or not so smooth road. The noise is easily reproducted. I took the vehicle to a GM dealereship to fix the problem. I was first told they had located the problem. It was in the steering column and had to order a new column. They replaced the steer column and I was advised it did not cure the noise. They them checked the winshield wiper arms and transmission, the ABS master cyclinder and its mounts, they removed the left front strut and placed it, check the craddle mountings, they removed and checked under dash, and also the hood mountings. The noise is still present. The dealer had two used 2009 G-6 at his disposal and upon test driving these vehicles, both vehicle had this same noise. The dealer now thinks the noise might be coming from the frame itself and needs to find a body shop to inspect the spot weld on the car. They have issued a Tac-case number and turned the matter over to a zone representative. Has anyone else ran into this problems? Is there a cure?
Please advise.
Thanking you in advance.
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 12:49 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I have a 2009 G6 sedan. I just hit 40,000 and have no real problems of noise within the dash on the drivers side I've noticed a slight rattle almost but the stereo on a low volume could drown it out. I'm curious to know if anymore problems arise. Keep us updated
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
I have a 2009 G6 sedan. I just hit 40,000 and have no real problems of noise within the dash on the drivers side I've noticed a slight rattle almost but the stereo on a low volume could drown it out. I'm curious to know if anymore problems arise. Keep us updated
is that rattle only happen when your on the throttle?
cause i have one too and i looked on here and people have said it's either the flex pipe, the exhaust resonator, or possibly the heat shield... when i picked up my car from the shop today, the guy said i had an exhaust leak and when he started the car he heard a rattling noise.. and it could just be a loose hose clamp.. idk

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87797
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:12 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

After removing a resonator from my exhaust I started to get a little buzz during certain points of acceleration, That im sure is just vibrations carrying through a heat shield somewhere, I'm not too concerned about that.

But the one in the dash ALMOST sounds like the clear plastic in front of the gauge is just a tad loose. Although it isnt, It seems to happen just while cruising. not really accelerating or anything, just coasting. but you can only really hear it when the stereo is off. It's really not loud at all...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 AM

i have the same noise. it's coming from infront somewhere, not sure if it's in the dash, or under the hood, or drivers side, or passengers side, but it's a little rattle/rumbling noise like something is loose. only can hear it at slow speeds. possibly be able to hear it at high speeds too, i'll have to check next time i go out and/or remember i posted about it here. i'm not too worried, but i'm a little worried my wheel/axel/something with the wheel might be loose/need readjustment. i'm coming up on my service maintenance in the next 500 miles so I might have carmax take a look at it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM

I have the same problem. Worse when it's cold outside right? Upper strut mounts have been replaced, intermediate steering shaft was replaced, etc. My guess it's the bushings on the sway bar or some other piece that has rubber around it. When it's cold, the rubber contracts and causes some extra movement. It's just annoying more than anything, but I don't think there's a fix for it. Just a poor design flaw. One of these days I'll probably replace the bushings, but it's not hurting performance and I constantly have the radio on anyway so I can't hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in