Left suspension damage or front end? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Left suspension damage or front end?

Hi all. I was driving my 2005 G6 on an exit ramp leading to another highway when the right passenger wheel apparently blew. I tried to control it, but I ended up doing a 360 and scraping/hitting the left side of the car onto the wall. I'm lucky all I suffered was a little whip lash and no one else was involved.

The left passenger wheel was pretty much hanging by a thread and the left door and bumper panels are messed up. The right side was not damaged at all. I had it looked at by a mechanic and he said the left suspension was totally gone. I asked him to quote me just the suspension fix so it can be drivable again. I said I'd deal with the panels later. He quoted me 1400. I didn't have collision on my car (I do now). I paid the 1400 and got the car back the other day. Then the mechanic pointed out to me that the unibody was apparently bent/twisted because there were gaps in the body panels. I drove the car and the steering is really loose. It was not like that before the accident.

Then I asked the mechanic if he looked at the front end. He said no because he didn't see any damage there. He said he tried to align the car, but he would need to fix the unibody damage first. I am going to have another shop look at it for a second opinion. I have to fix this steering problem. The car feels like it almost has a mind of its own, but I've managed to control it. Also, before the accident the two front tires needed replacing soon, but they still had some tread. By the end of the work week (I work about 40 minutes from home) I noticed that the two fronts were worn down to the metal wire. WTH? How could that happen so fast? I know nothing about cars, but I'm sure these problems are related. The car also does not take bumps like it used to. Feels like the bumps are extra rough on it (although I still have a donut on the right passenger wheel).

I've been searching this forum and others and it sounds like it could be a tire rod, steering box, shocks, struts etc. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Holy crap. Sorry this happened to you, but once you said that the tire was showing its skeleton I just lost it. This seems like something totally out of out control to guess what's wrong since it's a major accident.

While the tires may have shown some tread in the past, that doesn't mean a tire is driveable. The LOWEST percentage of tread life that is driveable is 30%. If you look at this diagram, you ran the rubber down so far that all the rubber was gone and exposed the steel skeleton.

Make sure you take care of your tires by inspecting them regularly for damage as well as checking tire pressure. Also, make sure you get a quality tire.

You are right that you should get a second mechanics opinion. That is always the best option.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

If they didn't do an alignment and it's really far off, then it's possible the tires could wear out really fast, like so fast that a Brand new set of tires could be worn to the point of being dangerous in just a few hundred miles. An alignment is a MUST.

Also it's generally a good idea to move that space-saver spare to the rear of the car, The front wheels have the job of accelerating, Doing the most braking, and steering. It's a lot of work they have to do, and that little donut can only handle so much. Especially if you're having alignment issues.

Also on tires they have a wear indicator bar in the tread to give you an idea of when you need new tires...

When that wear bar gets flush with the rest of the tread then you need new tires.

Also tire wear can be read like a book to determine what kind of alignment issues you have. Here's a good graphic for that.

The looseness of the steering could be due to work tie rod ends. If the tire blew and the car spun around, it could have... and probably did wear them out. The mechanic should have told you about everything that needed replacing or repairing.

Getting a second opinion is a great idea and hopefully you can get some more information.

It's too bad it happened but thank god no one else was involved and that you're okay. Good luck!

Last edited by CruisinG6; 01-21-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I have the spare on the rear of the car as you said. As soon as I noticed that metal, I got them replaced with used ones with good tread. I will have to wait a couple weeks to afford a completely new set. But I want to make sure that these tires don't wear out due to bad alignment. I had an alignment done a few months ago, but I'm guessing the accident caused it to mess up.

I had an inspection done by NTB, but they aren't done yet due to the spare being on. They said once I get a new rim and tire put on they will do an alignment and finish the inspection. Then they will let me know if my suspension is ok. Tomorrow I will go to a junk yard (I'm broke right now) to pick up a rim to put a tire on.

In a couple weeks I should have enough to buy a completely brand new set of tires. I can't wait.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Check out Tire Rack for tires. I got a set of Ultra High Performance tires from there, The price per tire was quite a bit cheaper then the OEM tires that came with the car, And the OEM tires were low-resistance Economy tires designed to maximize fuel economy... I hated them.

But you can do your research and have them sent to your house or shop of your choice for installation.

You can also check out Discount Tire for some tire deals.

I personally like tire rack a lot, a wealth of information you can use to really make an informed decision, Easy to find a tire that'll suit your needs.

Hopefully the extent of your damage isn't too bad and the car can take an alignment.
Best of Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in