Ecotec Engine Noise in Cab - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Ecotec Engine Noise in Cab

Just purchased a 2008 G6 sedan with Ecotec engine and 39k miles. I drove a dozen or more G6's before selecting this one and we have lots of Ecotec powered cars in the family fleet. The engine seems to "roar" which is most noticeable on acceleration from the driver's seat. Noise level from other positions in the vehicle is not too bad. The sound quality is normal for this vintage Ecotec, but its abnormally loud. Sounds as if there is a sound insulation panel missing someplace or perhaps an air duct is disconnected.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Is there a panel that goes under the dash on the driver's side to isolate the engine noise? If so, mine is missing.
The engine hood insulation and all the rubber around the edge of the engine compartment appears to be in place.
How do the dash vent directional vanes come out. (will they break if I pull too hard)?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:52 PM

During idle is there a rough sound coming from underneath?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Your closeout panel is missing:

Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/at...1&d=1327377835

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08 DS closeout panel.png
Views:	268
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2707  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 PM

What he said ^^
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Your closeout panel is missing:

Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/at...1&d=1327377835
thanks a ton! I was hoping that was the problem, but when I looked under there, it was not obvious anything was missing and I never would have known to call it a closeout panel. Back to CarMax. We are still in the 3 day return period, so I am pretty sure they will take care of it. Having the picture is a bonus, so thanks again.

Now I guess I should worry about what kinda work was being done to the car for them to take it off.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Well....the closeout panel is in place, so I need to keep looking for the issue. I can feel there is at least some foam on the panel, but the area to the right of the steering column is wide open. Also, the is a big gap between lower instrubment panel and bottom of steering column that could let sound in. I plan to drop the closeout panel and put some sound absorbing pads wherever I can.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Problem resolved. Went back to Carmax. They found intermediate shaft boot not installed properly. Apparently the intermediate shaft had been repaired before we bought the car, which I believe is common for these vehicles.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:20 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGriot View Post
Problem resolved. Went back to Carmax. They found intermediate shaft boot not installed properly. Apparently the intermediate shaft had been repaired before we bought the car, which I believe is common for these vehicles.
GM intermediate steering shafts are very problematic. Thanks for letting us know how your issue was resolved.

Last edited by greenman; 02-08-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in