normal to not upshift when cold? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

normal to not upshift when cold?

I have an 06 g6 with just under 65k miles. It is the 4 cylinder base model. I've been noticing when it is cold out (-20 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit), the transmission will not shift into 4th gear (around 30mph). When the car has fully warmed up, and the temperature gauge is at the 1/3 mark, then it will shift into that next gear perfectly. No slipping or jerking occurs. It's weird because it seems like it will finally start shifting properly after the same amount of time and temperature reading each time. If I get up to 35-40mph, it will shift, but once I come to a stop, and only get back up to 30mph, it won't shift until warmed up. During the summer, I never experienced this problem.

I was wondering if this is a normal safety precaution the car has? I figure the car doesn't want to strain itself shifting back and fourth between the higher gears when cold, but I want to know if I'm wrong. My 96 Intrepid I have won't shift into overdrive until properly warmed up, and has always been that way without problems, so I assume this is a normal thing for cars?

I appreciate all feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
The car is not programmed to shift into 4th until 35-40 based on your current acceleration rate. Your car is acting fine.

I'm not at home so I can't check ALLDATA, but I remember seeing a table that shows when the car shifts into certain gears in comparison to the acceleration rate and current speed.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

Last edited by Abyssul; 01-30-2012 at 01:31 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I usually don't accelerate very fast though. When the car heats up, it will normally shift into 4th at around 27mph if I'm really feather footing it. I'm talking about driving consistently at 30mph for a while and it won't shift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:17 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I have a 2.4 with the 4 speed. I know for a fact it won't go into 4th until i'm pretty much right at 40. (It drives me nuts)

I think what you're feeling at 27mph is it shifting into third. I don't know for sure but It feels like the gearing between 2-3 are fairly tall compared to 1-2. therefore it seems like it's revving higher right up until it gets into 3rd. and the shift from 3-4 under light acceleration is often not really that noticeable.

So MAYBE yours isn't shifting into 3rd soon enough? BUT a cold engine also means a cold transmission. Colder fluid is thicker fluid. So maybe it's having trouble shifting into the higher gears?

I'm basing most of this off assumptions made from my G6 (I'm a very analytic person/driver) But my car, Cold or Hot usually will get into 4th at about 40. under light acceleration of course.

Maybe we can ask WAMS for the shift points? haha
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback guys! I know at 40mph the car shifts into overdrive, but i mean 4th gear which is around 30mph. I watch my rpms pretty closely because I like to keep my rpms low for better gas mileage. it shifts into second at 10-12mph, into third at 15-20mph, fourth gear at 27-30mph, and overdrive at 40mph. I am a feather foot driver, and do mostly city driving so I don't even have a chance to gun it much. I can definitely feel all of these shifts happening, and notice my rpms drop at each shift.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Sorry man. I pulled this straight from the 2006 Pontiac G6 ALLDATA. As you can see, the optimal shift point for the lowest throttle position (TPS) is 38mph from shifting 3-4 in the LE5 (2.4L).

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

I really appreciate you taking the time to pull up this chart.

I just don't understand though, this does not line up with what I am feeling. Wheres the final gear on that list too? at 38-39mph is when mine does the torque lock up thing. I can tell because the rpms drop significantly, so the engine does not have to work as hard.

I know for a fact that my transmission shifts at around 10mph, then at 15-20mph, then at 27-30mph, then lastly 38+ mph.

I'm no car expert, but I can definitely feel the car shift four times by the time I get to 40-45 (counting torque lock up)

Last edited by Sterling; 01-31-2012 at 07:04 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
I really appreciate you taking the time to pull up this chart.

I just don't understand though, this does not line up with what I am feeling. Wheres the final gear on that list too? at 38-39mph is when mine does the torque lock up thing. I can tell because the rpms drop significantly, so the engine does not have to work as hard.

I know for a fact that my transmission shifts at around 10mph, then at 15-20mph, then at 27-30mph, then lastly 38+ mph.

I'm no car expert, but I can definitely feel the car shift four times by the time I get to 40-45 (counting torque lock up)
Take a video and show us. Maybe the 3rd gear is going into overdrive before shifting to 4th.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 AM

The transmission will not shift into OD till the fluid reaches a certain temp, to better lube the planetary gears. My G6 is the same way.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Next time it's colder then the 50s we're getting now I'll try and shoot of video of my tach and speedo while accelerating at as close to 12.5% I can get, On a flat surface.

It's literally so nice in Illinois right now that I'm pretty sure it'll be pretty warm by the time I get out of my hilly neighborhood.

Did they offer the 6 speed in the 2006 models?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AafYN...ature=youtu.be

at about 12mph, shift at about 22mph shift, at about 30mph shift. This is with it fully warmed up. I didn't get a video when it was cold, but at 30mph and up, my rpms were going above 2k, giving it the same amount of gas. I can tell there is more rolling resistance, and I definitely get worse gas mileage when it does this.

so this 4 speed has 3 actual gears, an overdrive, and then torque lock in? That's how my Intrepid's 4 speed auto works too

Once again thank you guys so much for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in