Do I have a lemon? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Do I have a lemon?

I bought a used 2007 G6 with about 50,000 miles.

About a month in the windshield wipers ran constantly. The local dealer ( greenfield IN ) installed a new "body control" ( about $500.00 ) module under the dash. That fixed the problem.

Later the transmission was very erratic and the dealer replaced a "transmission control" module ( about $200.00 ) on the left front inner fender below the electrical box. Transmission worked fine for about 6 months then it would shift into reverse going down the road! Very scary - - - took it to the dealer in Rushville IN and paid them $1,500.00 to rebuild the transmission. Dealer stated not under warrenty as the car was originally purchased in Canada.

Car started taking off - - - very scary as you would be driving about 30 MPH and all at once you were going 80 - - - as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator it would calm down and show a code S2135 or S2101 or S0101 - - - put a new accelerator pedal ( about $100.00 ) in and the car ran fine for about another 6 months. This is very dangerous in traffic or in a parking garage!

Started taking off again so , same codes, replaced the accelerator again but no change. Now I get the above codes plus it will give a code S1516 and put the car in limp mode. I now have about 62,000 miles on the car.

I am thinking I need the main computer - - - would this be where you would go next?

Rushville dealer put it back on their computer and told me I need a bank 2 catalytic converter and a fuel filter! I can't believe a plugged filter or converter will make the car take off, I feel like if either of those were bad the car would lack power and not spin tires.

I asked the dealer about the throttle control module and was told this car does not have one. I told him I wanted to trade the car for a new Malibu and was told the dealership computer would not allow him to take this VIN in trade as the car has had to many problems over the years!

If there is a throttle position sensor please tell me the part number and where it is and I will replace it next!

In Indiana the lemon laws do not apply to used cars!

When this car is right ( for months at a time ) it is a great car - - - - but then it gets gremlins and needs a block of C4 in the tailpipe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:41 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Sounds like they've replaced everything except the ECU.

There is a Throttle Pedal Position sensor down by the throttle somewhere. I'm really unsure of the part number.

I would think that it could be the ECU. It does all the work between your pedal and the motor itself. But i'm sure the pedal sensor is by far cheaper.

Also where are you getting those codes from? It's been my experience that codes read P2135 or P2101 etc.
By looking up those codes you get

P2135: Pedal Position Switch A-B Voltage Correction Error.
P2101: Throttle Actuator Control Motor
P0101: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P1516: TAC Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

So it sounds like you should try replacing the pedal Position Switch/Sensor First.
Then check the MAF sensor, make sure the wiring is fine, and the sensor itself is clean. It may need to be replaced.

Be sure to disconnect the battery, to prevent damage to sensitive components and to clear the computer of any codes.

Last edited by CruisinG6; 01-30-2012 at 06:01 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Can you define what limp mode is? Do you get a "reduced engine power" message in the DIC? Appending an S to the CEL codes make them not valid. Are those suppose to be P's?

Clear all the codes and see what new ones pop up. If your gut tells you that the Rushville dealership doesn't know what they are doing, then find someone else.

I would pull the throttle body off, clean it, check the wiring and reinstall. Clear the codes and see if it comes back. If it does, then replace that.

Other people with similar problems (but not the accelerator problem):
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=11251
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4315

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

I'm sorry I called it "limp mode" as the dash reads "reduced engine power"

I re read the post and yes the codes should have had a P instead of an S

Both the dealers at Greenfield and Rushville ( Greenfield sent me to Rushville as they thought the mechanic there was more experienced in these problems ) have replaced the throttle as the sensor is built into it. First time it was replaced car was great for about 6 months, second time it did nothing to change the problem.

I went so far as to buy my own code reader so that I could clear codes on the road - - - worked for several months as the car would mess up every few weeks, then every few days, now about every ľ th mile. It is coding out so often now you cannot go anywhere!

What is the procedure for cleaning the throttle body? It canít hurt !
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWK4667 View Post
I'm sorry I called it "limp mode" as the dash reads "reduced engine power"

I re read the post and yes the codes should have had a P instead of an S

Both the dealers at Greenfield and Rushville ( Greenfield sent me to Rushville as they thought the mechanic there was more experienced in these problems ) have replaced the throttle as the sensor is built into it. First time it was replaced car was great for about 6 months, second time it did nothing to change the problem.

I went so far as to buy my own code reader so that I could clear codes on the road - - - worked for several months as the car would mess up every few weeks, then every few days, now about every ľ th mile. It is coding out so often now you cannot go anywhere!

What is the procedure for cleaning the throttle body? It can’t hurt !
I'm totally confused. What exact part did they replace twice? The throttle body assy (on top of the engine) or the accelerator pedal position sensor (on top of the accelerator pedal) or what?

So you are currently getting all four codes popping NOW?

Last edited by greenman; 02-01-2012 at 02:16 AM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

They replaced the entire throttle petal ( three times all together one from a junk yard and 2 new ones ) - - - they said the sensor is made into it and not available seperately.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Quote:
They replaced the entire throttle petal ( three times all together one from a junk yard and 2 new ones ) - - - they said the sensor is made into it and not available seperately.
Get the throttle body replaced then, not the pedal.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:49 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
OK, so the APP (accelerator pedal position) sensor has been replaced 3 times. Yet the codes indicate a problem with the TAC system (part of the throttle body) & the MAF sensor. So the question is: why are those horse's patutes replacing the accelerator pedal position sensor? Tell me those aren't really dealer's mechanics doing that.

You need to replace the throttle body & clean your MAF sensor. Then clear all codes & see if any reappear.

IIRC, RockAuto sells them for around $165. There are many online sources. The dealer price will be much more but if you can't wait, you can't wait. For a dealer to install one I'm sure is in the $400+ neighborhood.

The dealer you are taking it to sounds very dishonest. For one thing, there is no separately replaceable fuel filter. It is integral to the fuel pump which requires dropping the fuel tank. You don't replace the filter you replace the pump. For another, catalytic converter/s have an 8 year/80K mile warranty & your dealer knows that very well. For yet another, why did they replace the accelerator pedal position sensor if those were the popped codes? And the reason they gave you for not honoring the powertrain warranty on the tranny rebuild just makes my blood boil. The Canadian powertrain warranty is the same as in the US. I'd urge you to take that up with GM customer service directly. Unless there were other codes you did not mention, my advice is to avoid that dealer entirely as they sound like crooks to me.

The how-to is in the Chiltons for G6. It is not hard to replace.

Last edited by greenman; 02-02-2012 at 04:09 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:02 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I found the throttle body on GMPartsDirect for about $150 before shipping... Clicky
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

I have lost all faith in both dealers - - - - that is why it is sitting in the garage - - - I will get some time next week and I'll replace the throttle body myself, clear codes and see what happens after that.

Will I have any surprises or is it fairly stright forward?

The dealers have been doing this to my daughter and I traded cars with her untill I get it fixed.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Quote:

The dealers have been doing this to my daughter and I traded cars with her untill I get it fixed.
Sorry if this is sexist, but dealerships will take advantage of and belittle females because typically females have less knowledge about cars than guys. This is especially the case if she is young and naive.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:27 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
I have lost all faith in both dealers - - - - that is why it is sitting in the garage - - - I will get some time next week and I'll replace the throttle body myself, clear codes and see what happens after that.

Will I have any surprises or is it fairly stright forward?

Pickup a new gasket if your new TB does not come with one. The Chiltons book will make the job even easier. It's pretty simple though.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Pickup a new gasket if your new TB does not come with one. The Chiltons book will make the job even easier. It's pretty simple though.
Isn't the gasket just your typical O-ring? If so, you could just pick one up at Lowes or something.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:46 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

IIRC, it's a shaped o-ring.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 01:58 PM

Also if you own a Ca PZEV vehicle registered in a Ca emission state, there are 14 of them.
The throttle body and a lot of other emission parts are warrantied for 15 years or 150K miles, like my 09 G6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in