Exhaust Cam sensor issues - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust Cam sensor issues

I replaced the exhaust cam sensor a couple of days ago with no problem on my 07 G6 ( Base Model) 2.4 DOHC

1.Disconnected the battery
2. Unscrewed the bolt
3. Popped out the sensor
4. Unplugged it
5 put everything back together

Simple right? So I thought. Car started fine, reset the clock to the right time, got in, went to pick my wife up from work, it was awesome no hard shifting, and the engine light did not come back on.

Wife gets in, I start the car and the engine light came back on after driving for 2 minutes.

So, I got home repeated the process of checking everything even disconnected the battery. I took the Car out for a test drive, same thing I thought it was fine. shut it off turned it back on again and F'ing engine light is back on.

So thought to myself, maybe I bought a bad sensor returned the one I just replaced, got new one and same thing.

Any ideas on what the hell is going on with this?

Am I missing something?

I'm sick of unplugging the battery to reset cam sensor every morning to save gas and neck from hard shifts.

I know this car has 2 cam sensors. My wife went to get an oil change at our dealer when the engine light came on for the first time, they ran the diagnosist and one code came back, the exhaust cam sensor then they told her they would fix it for $150.00. What a rip... So, she called me and I told her do not let them touch it, I'll do it.

Last edited by 07G6base; 02-07-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

What exact code/s were you getting before replacing it & what code/s are you getting now? Those CMP sensors aren't very problematic.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Code I keep getting is P0014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

I think the IBCM isn't resetting fully to receive the cam sensor or I need a new wiring harnest... I'll try to see if I can press the dealer for info, but I dout if they give me any info tho, that's why I came here. I love this car.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

The only thing that I can think of that I didn't do, is reset the oil life back to 100% from 89%. I don't know if that would be a contribution or not.

--------
I miss the days of simple big blocks w/o computers and bullshit sensors!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07G6base View Post
Code I keep getting is P0014.
As I thought. You are replacing the wrong part. That code almost always is corrected by replacing the exhaust CMP Actuator Solenoid valve on top of your engine next to the #1 spark plug. It is covered under the powertrain 5yr/100K warranty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in