06 g6, paint rapidly coming off - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

06 g6, paint rapidly coming off

Hey guys, I have an 06 G6 silver base model, and have noticed that the paint is coming off rapidly. When I got the car used almost a year ago, it had a lot of touch up paint done on the bumper, but I have began noticing that the entire body of the car has paint coming off. The bottom of all four doors are constantly losing more and more paint, the bumper and hood are too. I also began noticing bubbling on the roof of the car. My buddy has an 04 Grand Prix and I have never seen a car that new with so much paint coming off of it, and it is not caused from rusting. Are Pontiacs known for lousy paint jobs? My car was salvaged before I got it, front end collision, so I'm sure the front bumper, hood, and possibly the fenders were replaced, but I doubt the entire car was repainted.

What are some ways to prevent this? I wash the car frequently (handwash or manual wash bay, never automatic), especially during the winter (usually once every week) and then put Eagle Quick Wax on it. Also, where can I get good touch up paint? I got a little tube of touch up paint at Autozone, and matched the code up. The paint definitely does not match. I appreciate all feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
The G6 paint tends to be pretty solid. One paint complaint is that dings or rivets in the paint between the rear door and tire well that have pits in them from rocks or something.

Your description seems different. Have any pictures? It seems like the only resolution would be to get it repainted. Waxing it might prolong the paint.

The dealership sells touch-up paint, as well as various online retailers that good a good job with creating their own matched paint.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Gpof59

Sounds like a Earl Scheib type paint job. Year's ago a friend of mine had a white ford falcon, repainted red at a Earl Scheib's. A little over a year later the paint started to peel. Long story short, I would guess who ever fixed the body on your car, went over the whole body in a rush job. I would go to a reputable body shop and have them take a look. They probably could mix a bottle of touch up for you at a low cost.As for Pontiac's paint job's?, I've only seen the maroon colored one's back in the 60's-70's fade out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll try to get some pictures up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in