Shiver at idol pls help! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Cute female member

Shiver at idol pls help!

Hi im Shelly I just purchased a 2006 G6 GT on the 18th. I bought it knowing it had a shiver alreankdy but assumed since it has 94,000 miles on it that it needed new plugs and wires. We changed them today but the shiver remains. What else could this be? Also unrelated it at one time had a Kenwood touch screen Nav/GPS/CD/Rear back up device in it but was stolen. Something happened when it was ripped out and it converted the speedometer to kilometers so I have to keep a mph to kph guide in the car or I dont know how fast im going. I have spoken with a couple machanics who have not known how to change it back. Naturally the unit that was stolen had the ability to change those settings but due to the price of the unit the guy I bought it from decided to just put a regular CD unit back in. I also cannot drop 1500 dollars to get another one like it either. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Colon Fire & Rescue

I have the same problem but i have a CEL that comes on. Code reads P0301 which is mis fire in cylinder one. I also have changed plugs and wires. I am having my Cap tested this week but have a feeling i have a bad injector. Just my 2 Cens worth Welcom to the forum
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Cute female member

Hi nice to meet you! I talked to the machanic at pep boys today he told me to do 3 full tanks in a row of chevron injector cleaner b4 I do anything else to the car. I really hope that helps but I got to be honest since we did the plugs and wires it seems to be worse like now I feel a little something when I get over like 55 mph that i didnt feel b4. I also had an incedent today where it died 3 times when I was trying to start but the machanic said that is bcuz we disconnected the battery to do the spark plugs and that when u do that when u change them u need to complete 3 full start cycles where the car cools all the way down and warms all the way up again to reset the computer back to the right idle. Thats sounds crazy nutzo to me but hes the professional and I truely hope he is right. I just put ever dime into buying this car and the next 36 months of my life so I really hope its an easy fix. I hope ur is too lol GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW WHAT U LEARN ABOUT THE PROBLEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 AM
Colon Fire & Rescue

He is right about the 3 cold starts getting the computer back into the right state of mind. Have you had a check engine light come on at any point? The injector cleaner may be a waste of your money. If it is indeed dirty injectors they will most likely need to be removed and cleaned. I'm about to have my mechanic do it to my GT.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Gpof59

Faulty fuel injector(s) can cause 1. Hard Starting 2. Poor fuel Economy 3. Rough Idle 4.Loss of power during acceleration. Believe it or not, I have changed mine in a Bonneville at 90,000 miles as a regular Maintenance part. Injectors wear out just like any other part,reason being the internal parts of the injector such as springs,plunger,needle seats start to weaken and will not let the injector open and close thus sending too much or too little fuel. Remember if you change injectors, change the O rings and seals as well. About the plugs and wires, Were the plugs gapped to correct specs(if needed). Check the wires to make sure they are not crossed or they are connected securely. A new fuel filter would likely help also.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Cute female member

Thanks for the responces! When u say wires crossed what exactly do u mean? like hooked the wrong wire up to the wrong plug/cylinder? Can the car even run firing in the wrong order? The plugs I bought were the Bosch platinum 4 that dont require gapping. So in case my car just doesnt like 4 prong plugs we ordered the more expensive NGK ones and a digital torque in stead of the one we got to make sure it absolutely correct. Gonna get some boot grease for the wires this time to ensure I get them on all the way and cross my damn fingers really tight. I have to drive it 8 hours up and down the mountains for an appointment in 3 weeks. As far as the injectors, yeah my aunt suggested I call and dind out how much it would be to have them cleaned also. they told me the fuel filter is in the tank (which is a shame) makes the price of something so simple crazy expensive.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Colon Fire & Rescue

Crossed as in wrong wire to plug. it can run if crossed but not properly. I also bought the bosh plugs but the single grounding rod.(Pre-Gapped) You don't need to torque the plugs down just make them tight.
Now for the injectors, there is a couple different types of cleaning. You can take it down to the mechanic and they can do a fuel system cleaning. But the best thing to do is send them out to www.injectorexperts.com and have them cleaned and bench tested.
Im also going to try running sea foam through the break booster and do a cleaning that way. I'll keep you posted. Thx for the add by the way
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 05:29 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Check your air filter. If it's dirty. Replace it.
Clean the MAF sensor. There's tutorials all over the internet.
Check the Throttle Body. It's probably all black and dirty inside. Get some Throttle Body cleaner and clean it up as best as possible. All nice and shiny inside. Plate and all! If possible you can completely remove the TB (you may need a new TB gasket depending on your motor and condition of the old one)

I did a complete TB removal cleaning and install and WOW did it make a difference in idling and driving. I would suggest searching online for how-to's and get familiar with it. Watch videos on youtube. You'll learn exactly what to do easily.

Or just ask. I'll be happy to elaborate!

Also about your MPH/KPH thing. All you need is a factory DIC, which is built into the factory stereo. Or you can buy an external unit that is meant for those who install an aftermarket unit. That should have the settings you can use to change those settings. You may even be able to take it to the dealership and have them just plug into it and reprogram that setting for you, though they may charge you. Or they may do it for free. Worth a shot.

Last edited by CruisinG6; 03-01-2012 at 05:31 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Cute female member

Yes I may need some step by steps on how to do that lol The plugs were changed again today to the NGKs and it still shivering. I dont hv the check engine light on so I am assuming it couldnt be sensor related. I am just so afraid that I dropped 2000 dollars and the next 36 months of payments into a car thats either going to break down or be horribly expensive to fix. I am finding all sorts of little things wrong with it now too which wouldnt be that bad if I wasnt so worried about the engine. But I have noticed that it has been repainted I hv no idea what happened to it and it said nothing on carfax but there were some places where u could tell there were chips and it was just painted over. the right turn signal wont turn off on its own, the windshield has like sand damage or something. Something in the steering wheel broke and it rattles and clunks when u turn, and the key hole has been all gowged and chewed up and the key wont go it ( I didnt notice when I test drove it) my guess is thats how it was broken into for the stereo . Its a beautiful car and I think maybe I just fell in love with how it looked and didnt go over it as I should have. Hopefully I will just be able to remedy the engine issue soon so I can just enjoy having this new pretty car. Just stressed. So any help is much appreciated, thank you
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 PM

im a mechanic at a chevy dealer and i have had the same problem. i ended up reflashing the computer and it fixed everything. just take it to the dealer and have them reflash the computer. should cost 200 dollars.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:35 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LymepatientX View Post
Hi im Shelly I just purchased a 2006 G6 GT on the 18th. I bought it knowing it had a shiver alreankdy but assumed since it has 94,000 miles on it that it needed new plugs and wires. We changed them today but the shiver remains. What else could this be? Also unrelated it at one time had a Kenwood touch screen Nav/GPS/CD/Rear back up device in it but was stolen. Something happened when it was ripped out and it converted the speedometer to kilometers so I have to keep a mph to kph guide in the car or I dont know how fast im going. I have spoken with a couple machanics who have not known how to change it back. Naturally the unit that was stolen had the ability to change those settings but due to the price of the unit the guy I bought it from decided to just put a regular CD unit back in. I also cannot drop 1500 dollars to get another one like it either. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
You could probably find a used OEM radio on ebay & that would restore your personalization feature as well as the DIC. You would still have to pay a dealer to program in the VIN. I'm not aware of any aftermarket units that provide the DIC capability. I've always thought that integrating the DIC into the radio was a stupid mistake.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 PM

just get your computer reflashed
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Here this video is a great demonstration of how to clean your MAF sensor.

This is probably the best video I could find on Cleaning the TB.. It gives you a good idea.
Because we have electric throttle bodies you can't just pull the lever to open the plate, BUT you can stick your finger in and push it open, then just grab it from the outside and hold it open as you clean. Clean everything to the best of your abilities. If you want you can remove the TB completely but you may need a new gasket. However it's worth it.

Heres a slideshow type video someone made of their G6. the removed the throttle body, cleaned that, and part of the manifold. Gives a good Before and After idea.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Cute female member

Thank you for the videos! @cruisin

@Cory did yours run really rough at higher speeds too? it shivers when its stopped and when I get up to about 55+ it feels like it just vibrates so hard but when I let off the gas and just let it coast fast it feels much better. At this point I would gladly pay to have that done if it will definitely remedy the problem.

But I am also about doing the other maintenances too if not to just fix but to keep in good condition as long as possible.

As far as the radio/speedometer stuff goes. I have that unit in the glove box I have a place who can order the harness for like 60 and then 40 dollars and hour for installation however I have been inside the dash and the wiring for it is not there i dont know where the hell it could have just disappeared to but thats crazy! Why in the hell would they ut the control for the damn speedometer in the unit by a radio? thats just moronic.

U guys can feel free to add me I would love to keep up with what everyone has to say and I will definity let u know anything I find out
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Cute female member

Oh and listen to this! today some guy starts flagging me down to tell me my reverse lights are stuck on while its in drive. I thought he was confused by the day time running lights but he was not they r stuck on. I guess when the bumper was replaced a few weeks ago the shop hooded the lights up wrong or something. Dear lord please tell me that is at least easy to fix? i tell ya if it wasnt for bad luck I wouldnt hv any luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in