odd sound during braking!!!! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Domestic Noob

odd sound during braking!!!!

Hey forum, I've floated around trying to find a topic that resembled my issue but havent run across it. I drive a 2010 3.5L v6 with 34,000 miles and hear a weird sound when braking until i come to a complete stop. The closest thing i can think of comparing the sound to is a twisting plastic water bottle. Weird, I know.. but I want to know if anyone has experienced this before. Could it be a suspension issue or solely the brakes? appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Lifetime Member

What are the condition of your tires and do you hear any popping when you turn?

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Domestic Noob

The tires look to be very new condition. no popping during curves either. that was the first thing I took a look at also. And the other night after driving home, I did notice a "burnt" smell radiating from the wheel/brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I had to do a brake job at 29,500 miles. All of my pads front and rear were less than 3mm in braking material. I would guess you need a brake job. The pads have a little metal tab that is designed to scrape along the rotors and make a screeching noise to alert the driver that it's time for a brake job. If you ignore it then the pads will wear down more and eventually just scrape metal to metal and cause more damage.

I would simply try and take a good look, You should be able to see it through the wheels and see how close the tabs are to the rotors. Or you can just jack it up, remove the wheel, and really take a good look. Even pull the brakes off. Check the fronts and rears.

This sounds like it's the problem to me. It could be just one tab at one wheel scraping along as you stop, just slightly enough to sound like a plastic bottle being squeezed and twisted.

Since it only seems to happen while braking then I would just take a look and see what's going on down there.

Last edited by CruisinG6; 03-01-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Removed all the useless rambling
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Lifetime Member

^^ I agree,

at the least take the tires off and have a look around.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 PM

well guys...I'm getting a weird noise coming from my brakes as well... Mostly the back ones. It like a click sound when I apply the brake, not always there but stopping quick and short. I am going to take a picture if my back rotors. Could it be cracked rotors?

I have changed my rotors+pads last summer, so I know there is plenty of pads left. Don't know if the rotors are the problem! URGH!!!

Appearance: 8000K HID's
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 PM

okay i got some pictures.. its odd that there are wear lines like the pictures. Also see the first 2 pictures...crack??

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Varsity Squad

Garage
you got the brakes hot and have blued the rotors, have them resurfaced. if you take em off and take them somewhere to be done its like $20, if you have someone do it for you its like 70-150.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Here are some video's of the noise coming from the back passenger and driver's side brakes.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalsGTP View Post
you got the brakes hot and have blued the rotors, have them resurfaced. if you take em off and take them somewhere to be done its like $20, if you have someone do it for you its like 70-150.
so rotors can get "blued" at anytime? even after 6 months?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

From your videos it almost sounds like something is loose back there. Bouncing back and forth, have you tried jacking it up and just spinning the tire in the air. Or spinning the hub with the wheel off and check for noises and see what's what?

A brand new rotor can get blued. It all depends on hot you get the brakes, how hard you drive it and such.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:43 PM

I drive in a small city. I am not a heavy braker either.. Its odd that both sides have the same type of noise.

Iam going to jack up the car tomrrow and see whats going on.

the noise only comes when I am braking at short distance, in the video the car isn't rolling, it rolling and stopping

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 05:11 PM

okay.. i opened up one side. I do not know if this makes any sense or wwould cause the problem. I found the caliper pins not to be easy going in and out. So I took them out and there was hardly any grease on it. So I greased it up and put it all back together. Another thing I noticed, was the pad on the caliper side had less wear than the outer pad. After putting it all back together, went for a test drive, didn't hear any noise on the brakes that I worked on. any ideas??

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:50 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

It's possible that due to the lack of grease on those caliper pins the caliper was hung up a bit, causing your pads to wear more on one side of the rotor then the other. By removing it and freeing everything up and re-greasing it you should have solved your problem.

Hopefully you did, it sounds like that could be it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:14 AM

Rotate tires every 5-7 K, check brakes then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in