Engine Power Reduced??? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Question Engine Power Reduced???

My 2006 G6 GT has 135000 miles on it and lately I've been having some problems... I'm hoping someone can help me out. First off, lately, I have to give it gas to start. Then my check engine light has been coming on an awful lot. Not every time I start the car but often enough. Besides the check engine light, now its started to say "engine power reduced"... Not sure whats going on, any suggestions on what I should do? I did take it to my local mechanic and he said that he performed a scan however the day I took it to him the check engine light was not on, he said to bring it back when the check engine light is on again and he will scan it again. Does he know what he is doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Take it to autozone, they'll scan it for free. even if the light is off it should still store the codes so they can see what the reason is. It could be as simple as a dirty air filter, or MAF sensor, or throttle body. BUT it could be a number of things. Only way to really know is to scan it. Once you know the codes you can find the problem
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Report back here with the exact codes & not some store clerk's interpretation of them. The throttle actuator control (TAC) system (it's integrated into the throttle body) produces that message. Simply cleaning the throttle body may help or you may need to replace it which is not very difficult.

Last edited by greenman; 03-02-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Gpof59

I agree, take it to AutoZone and let them scan for your codes. Even if the light isn't on, you should still get codes that are stored. To get the CEL off,you have to erase the CEL message with the scan tool. Maybe your mechanic accidently deleted them.Either way, see if autozone can retrieve them and post them here.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 07:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
your car will go into reduced power mode when it knows somethings wrong so it wont mess something up.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Just like greenman said. Typically the throttle body becomes faulty.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Red face Got Codes from the Scan

First off, much thanks to those of you who replied...

I had the scan done again on my car and was given these codes, so if any of you know what they mean I would greatly appreciate your input...

1) P1516
2) P2101
3) P2135

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that the more codes there are the more this is going to cost me in repairs...

Thanks again for all the help.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post

1) P1516
2) P2101
3) P2135

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that the more codes there are the more this is going to cost me in repairs...
Those are all TAC codes so you have just one issue.

I would try cleaning the throttle body first & then clearing the codes. If one or more of those codes return then replace the TB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in