P0430 and P0300 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Question P0430 and P0300

2005 g6 gt
i know the codes mean p0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
and p0300 is random missfires

i was told it was the catalytic converter, but not sure if its the front cat or rear?
any input would be very helpful.
the shop i go to wants me to bring it in with the codes on....but i don"t want to pay an extra $50 just for them to pull the codes i have my own code reader.

thanks

Last edited by richardkarst; 03-05-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM

I had the exact same codes on my 06 gtp and i had to have my rear cat replaced. The thing about the shop is they have a more advanced computer and if the codes are on the car when they check the car their computer will tell exactly what cat needs to be replaced. I also had a transmission pan seal replaced due to a leak. But since the cat was replaced I havent had any issues with a misfire now i have more transmission issues... I will figure those out but that is the insight I can give you about your codes. Good luck if you have any questions you can ask and I may have an answer and if I dont I will figure it out.

Current Mods:
Painted Wheels/Calipers/Center pieces

Upcoming Mods:
Tinted Tail lights
Debadge
Lowering Springs
CAI and Crabs
Vinyl over Chrome trim
Eagle Eye Headlights
Painted recessed Grilles
Embroidered floor mats and seats
STB
WAMS

Bought my G6 for temporary 6 months to a year. Now I fell in love and i would die before getting rid of this car.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardkarst View Post
2005 g6 gt
i know the codes mean p0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
and p0300 is random missfires

i was told it was the catalytic converter, but not sure if its the front cat or rear?
any input would be very helpful.
the shop i go to wants me to bring it in with the codes on....but i don"t want to pay an extra $50 just for them to pull the codes i have my own code reader.

thanks
What's the car's mileage? Depending on your mileage, you may want to replace both at this time. A scan tool that reads live engine data allows you to view the sensor switching of the pre & post cat HO2 sensors which tells you the condition of the cats. Bank 2 is the half of the engine closest to the radiator.

Also, misfires can be caused by a clogged cat & conversely, a bad cat can be caused by a misfiring engine.

Last edited by greenman; 03-05-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks..... think i might just suck it up and take it in with the codes on.... i know the owner at the midas shop i go to so they might not charge me the diagnostic fee as long as they get to do the work.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
What's the car's mileage? Depending on your mileage, you may want to replace both at this time. A scan tool that reads live engine data allows you to view the sensor switching of the pre & post cat HO2 sensors which tells you the condition of the cats. Bank 2 is the half of the engine closest to the radiator.

Also, misfires can be caused by a clogged cat & conversely, a bad cat can be caused by a misfiring engine.
yeah the car has 171000KMS on it....might just do both the shop i go to didn't have a listing for new cats tho... might have to get ones from the dealer($$$$$)... have to check with one another parts store first tho.... they give me parts at mechanic cost

got a price for the front one at a local auto wrecker for 150
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

You might try the Scotty Kilmer cleaning method & see if you can get a few more miles out of them:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in