Pano sunroof problem - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
2006 Black G6 GT

Pano sunroof problem

So my sunroof is missing pieces. It is not working/ closing properly because of this. I took 2 pictures to give you an idea. I'm pretty sure I'm just missing this pin (shown in picture 1).

Would I just need to buy and replace the pins, or is there more missing?
Where would i buy them, and how would i then go about installing it.
Any ideas or knowledge would be appreciate

I'd really rather not have to go to the stealership

2006 G6 GT
Mods so far: Black arrow overlays, Chrome recessed grilles, Blue LED license plate light, Blue LED reverse lights, Smoked tails, 20% Tint all around, Red led's for the interior, White led dome and map lights.
Sound System: 4 Infinity Kappa component speakers, 2 Amps (950w total) and 2 10" Kenwood KFC subwoofers, 7" touch screen Pioneer DVD

Performance: Mobile 1 oil, Mobile 1 oil filter

Last edited by Ensur3; 03-20-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:55 PM

I Have issue with my pano sunroof too and the dealer says I have to replace the whole track what exactly is urs doing ? Mine opens for te first spot than jams on 2 and than has trouble closing again
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
2006 Black G6 GT

Mine will open fine. Its the second tile window that has the problem. I can open it all the way to the 4 position. Sometimes it will give me troubles closing past 3. Thats when I have to manually adjust the second glass with my hands.

So in terms, It is attatched in the track fine, it is missing the pins that pull the top down and seal the window in tight.

2006 G6 GT
Mods so far: Black arrow overlays, Chrome recessed grilles, Blue LED license plate light, Blue LED reverse lights, Smoked tails, 20% Tint all around, Red led's for the interior, White led dome and map lights.
Sound System: 4 Infinity Kappa component speakers, 2 Amps (950w total) and 2 10" Kenwood KFC subwoofers, 7" touch screen Pioneer DVD

Performance: Mobile 1 oil, Mobile 1 oil filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 PM

Mine has the same problem you have. It stays on the track fine but almost everytime the second and third panel will not close all the way. They are sometimes too far forward or backwards and overlap/have a gap between them. I always have to move them around with my hand and I have to shut the cover too so it does not leak when it rains.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Slick Black Pontiac

Send a message via Skype™ to Gambit
Pins and Grease

Those little pins were loose on mine. I pushed them back in place and they seemed to stay ok. I think you could make them out of mild steel if you were handy like that. Perhaps you could take a bolt with a long shoulder and cut the threads off it?

I actually had a question and found this thread. I notice a lot of caked on old grease on the tracks, should I worry about cleaning it off or ignore it?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mitchell255
Mine started with the same issue, and finally flew off out of nowhere, so be careful. Thankfully it's tempered glass, so I was able to retrieve it and put it back on.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 AM

So there's really no one who knows how to fix it?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 PM

Hey guys, I to have a pano roof and had problems in the past. What happened to me is a pine needle got stuck in my track and they jammed shut and took CarMax 8 hours to take it apart and if it. The lady that did my roof said that the track slipped out of place from something and they got lodged and jammed. I know this doesn't help u guys out but this next part will. Also it cost about $700 to fix my roof but it was covered under their insurance i got

Ensur3 - Try putting something in there and see if it fixes the problem. Try a twig or a bolt or something and if it fixes the problem spend time making sure that it wont fall out. The last thing you want to happen is this roof messing up. There is a reason y so many people love this roof and also hate this roof (its like your rich annoying in-laws lol). If that doesn't work try searching harder on here for some pano threads or try googleing it.

jncgitrdun - This is exactly what happened to mine. Check every spot in your track and see if there is anything jammed. Also check and see if any of the parts of the track have a dent of something in them that would cause it to jam. Worst case try and take the glass off the roof and check with out those in the way. It is very expensive to get this fixed. I wish i could be of more help.

HalSwisher - Just like I told jncjitrdun check and see if there is anything stuck in the track while it is still opening and closing right. Also clean and grease up your track. If it keeps on happening take it to a dealer and have them look at it b4 it gets to bad.

Gambit - I would diffidently clean all that excess grease out just in case along with adding grease so that it will slide smoothly. You don't want it to build up and cause issues.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Slick Black Pontiac

Send a message via Skype™ to Gambit
I cleaned up the old crusty grease with a rag and re-greased the track and the contact areas, now the roof moves much more smoothly!

The other thing I noticed while messing with this was that the back panel on the passenger side isn't going down tight against the rubber. It will go down if i gently push it with my palm. I'm guessing it needs adjusted?

Modifications:
Aftermarket Exhaust system w/chrome tip. (came with car)
Red ZZ Performance Strut Tower Bar.
Pioneer DEH-P5200HD CD Receiver (HD Radio).
Metra 99-3303 adapter and Steering wheel control adapter.
LED bulbs in climate control panel.
Moda MD9 wheels, Falken Ziex ZE 912 tires.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 PM

Ya that might be it, I would also try just watching each side of the track carefully and see if there is a diff from right to left. Maybe one of the tracks are goofing up a lil.

I hope all of this helps
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 AM

Mine is missing the pins in two of them as well. Every now and then it freezes up and won't shut and I just have to keep trying to close it and eventually it closes. But I have to shut it to '1' and then manually adjust the first and second panel so that it will shut correctly when i shut it completely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in