Help with p0757 code - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Help with p0757 code

Hi all, first I wanna thank to the administators of this forum for providing us a place where we can share important info about our cars

Well, a weeks ago the check engine ligh on my g6 turned on and also the "traction control light off" is on :S I took the car to autozone to get the code and they gave me the code p0757 but here (in Mexico) they could not find the source of the problem (beause the car is not common here), just gave me the code, so I wanna know if anyone of you can helpe to find which is the problem with my car.

Thanks, by the way my car is a g6 2006 3.5L V6

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

You have a tranny problem. How long has it been since you changed the tranny fluid?

Service Information
2006 Pontiac G6 | G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 1541274
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P0757 (3.5L)

Circuit Description
The 2-3 shift solenoid (SS) valve is a normally-open exhaust valve that, in conjunction with the 1-2 shift solenoid (SS) valve, allows four different shifting combinations. Refer to Shift Solenoid Valve State and Gear Ratio . The 2-3 SS valve is attached to the control valve body, within the transmission.

The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the actual gear ratio, and compares the actual gear ratio with the commanded gear ratio. DTC P0757 sets under two conditions:

• A stuck OFF 2-3 SS valve

• A stuck OFF 2-3 shift valve

When the PCM detects a 1-2-2-1 shift pattern, then DTC P0757 sets. DTC P0757 is a type A DTC.

DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P0757 2-3 Shift Solenoid Valve Performance - No Third or Fourth Gear

Conditions for Running the DTC
• No MAF DTCs P0101, P0102 or P0103.

• No MAP DTCs P0107 or P0108.

• No TP DTCs P0120 or P0220.

• No VSS DTCs P0502 or P0503.

• No ISS DTCs P0716 or P0717.

• No TCC stuck ON DTC P0742.

• No shift solenoid electrical DTCs P0753 or P0758.

• No TCC electrical DTC P2761.

• The engine is running for 5 seconds or more and not in fuel cut off.

• The transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is between 20C (68F) and 130C (266F).

• The TP indicated angle is 8 percent or more.

• The input speed is 150-6,000 RPM.

• The output speed is 200 RPM or more.

• The time since the last gear change is 1.0 second.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The following occurs twice during the same trip:

• The PCM commands 3rd gear with the engine torque 50 Nm (37 lb ft) or more and the gear ratio is 1.54:1-1.71:1, 2nd gear, for 2 seconds.

• The PCM commands 4th gear with the engine torque 20 Nm (15 lb ft) or more and the gear ratio is 1.37:1-3.13:1, 1st gear, for 2 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

• The PCM commands maximum line pressure.

• The PCM forces the TCC OFF.

• The PCM inhibits TCC engagement.

• The PCM freezes transmission adaptive functions.

• The PCM inhibits 4th gear in HOT mode.

• The PCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The PCM stores this information as Freeze Frame and Failure Records.

• The PCM stores DTC P0757 in PCM history.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
• The PCM turns OFF the MIL during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test runs and passes.

• A scan tool can clear the MIL/DTC.

• The PCM clears the DTC from PCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without an emission-related diagnostic fault occurring.

• The PCM cancels the DTC default actions when the ignition switch is OFF long enough in order to power down the PCM.

Diagnostic Aids
• If you clear DTC P0757, and then cannot reset DTC P0757, inspect for the following conditions:

- Fluid contamination

- Plugged fluid circuits

- Restricted fluid circuits

• Refer to Shift Solenoid Valve State and Gear Ratio .

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

This step verifies a 1-2-2-1 shift pattern.

This step tests for a mechanical or hydraulic condition causing the 2-3 SS valve to be stuck OFF, or the circuit to be applied.

DTC P0757 Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle

Did you perform the Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure?
--
Go to Step 3
Go to Transmission Fluid Check

Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Important: Before clearing the DTC, use the scan tool in order to record the Freeze Frame and Failure Records. Using the Clear Info function erases the Freeze Frame and Failure Records from the PCM.

Record the DTC Freeze Frame and Failure Records.
Clear the DTC.
Use the scan tool snapshot mode in order to record current gear and gear ratio.
Drive the vehicle in D4, in order to obtain a 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts with a TP indicated angle greater than 8%.
Are current gear and gear ratio within the specified values?
1st/4th

2.87:1-3.13:1

2nd/3rd

1.54:1-1.71:1
Go to Step 4
Go to Diagnostic Aids

Inspect the 2-3 shift circuit for the following conditions:
• 2-3 SS valve mechanically stuck OFF

• 2-3 shift valve stuck in the released position

• Refer to Shift Solenoid Leak Test .

• Damaged 2-3 SS valve O-ring

Repair the circuit as necessary.
Refer to 2-3 Shift Solenoid Valve Replacement .

Did you complete the repair?
--
Go to Step 5
--

Perform the following procedure in order to verify the repair:

Select DTC.
Select Clear Info.
Operate the vehicle under the following conditions:
• Drive the vehicle in D4 with the TP indicated angle 8% or more and the engine torque greater than 50 Nm (37 lb ft).

• Allow the transmission to shift through all the gears.

• Monitor the current gear and gear ratios. The actual gear ratios must match the commanded gears for 0.9 seconds, for all gears.

Select Specific DTC.
Enter DTC P0757.
Has the test run and passed?
1st

2.87:1-3.13:1

2nd

1.54:1-1.71:1

3rd

0.91:1-1.07:1

4th

0.61:1-0.71:1
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 2

With the scan tool, observe the stored information, capture info and DTC info.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs that you have not diagnosed?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle
System OK

2012 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Last edited by greenman; 03-20-2012 at 01:17 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Hi greenman, thanks for your reply, i don't know about the fluid, I bought the car on past august and don't know about the fluid, where can I change the fluid? and what kind of fluid do I buy? I don't know if this info helps but, when I try to reach high a speed, the car don't pass the 3rd speed, I can only drive to 80 ~ 90 Km/h, and also, when I speed, I feel the car a little "lazy", it does not get good speed, can it be caused for the same problem?

anything else you suggest me?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

and another thing, the "traction control light off" turns off for a while, I drive a time and then turns on again, eventually is on and eventually is off, maybe is for the same problem...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by oware View Post
i don't know about the fluid, I bought the car on past august and don't know about the fluid, where can I change the fluid? and what kind of fluid do I buy?
A tranny flush & new fluid & filter may or may not resolve this so it's kind of a gamble. If it doesn't work, you are out the expense & left with the problem. If you decide to try this, unless you are really an experience backyard mechanic, I'd take it to a fluid change shop. I suspect if you go to a tranny shop they will want to just tear into it & rack up a big fat bill. That may be necessary anyway.

Quote:
I don't know if this info helps but, when I try to reach high a speed, the car don't pass the 3rd speed, I can only drive to 80 ~ 90 Km/h, and also, when I speed, I feel the car a little "lazy", it does not get good speed, can it be caused for the same problem?
Yes.

Last edited by greenman; 03-20-2012 at 03:38 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by oware View Post
and another thing, the "traction control light off" turns off for a while, I drive a time and then turns on again, eventually is on and eventually is off, maybe is for the same problem...
That's a direct result of the tranny issue so there is no need to be additionally concerned about that.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
A tranny flush & new fluid & filter may or may not resolve this so it's kind of a gamble. If it doesn't work, you are out the expense & left with the problem. If you decide to try this, unless you are really an experience backyard mechanic, I'd take it to a fluid change shop. I suspect if you go to a tranny shop they will want to just tear into it & rack up a big fat bill. That may be necessary anyway.

Yes.
Oh, I see... I didn't want to take the car to any shop but I think I'd have to... anyway thanks a lot for the info, I will try some things and if I find the solution I will tell you, thank you very much
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Varsity Squad

Garage
dont waste your money with a transmission flush, you are going to need either have yours rebuilt or replaced with a rebuilt one. Changing the fluid is not going to fix your problem.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 AM

Sounds like a solenoid problem, get it checked out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Hi everyone, sorry for reviving an old post, I just want to let you know the solution about my problem, do you remember this?? well, I took the car to the transmission mechanic and tested the solenoids... they where fine, the problem was inside the gearbox, he told me he needed to open it, I went to the mechanic when they opened the box, there were many discs burned and other things, well, they replaced many parts on the gearbox, costs aprox 1,000 USD (14,000 MXN) and now the car is fine, gearbox works great and everything is fine now , well, thats all, I just wanted you to know it...

Anyway, thanks to everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in