2006 G6 Hard Shifting fixed - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

2006 G6 Hard Shifting fixed

Hey gang, I've been lurking around since my issue first popped up a couple of months ago. I was driving down the street, came to a stop and when I began to take off, there was a hard jerk. It was so hard, I looked behind me as I thought I had been rear-ended. Alas, there was no one there. A couple of weeks later, the hard shifting returned along with the CEL. The hard shifting only occured in the low gears. I scanned my car with an OBD reader, and it threw out codes of P0010 and P0011(Cam Shaft Position Sensor Actuator).

That's when I came here to see if others have had similar issues. I took my car(2006 G6 2.4L), to the dealership. The diagnosed the problem as a loose timing chain and recommended replacing the Control Valve Solenoid, the Actuators, as well as the Timing Chain. It took a nice chunk out of my account, $1570. However, the car runs great...for now. I just got back from a round trip from GA to KY and haven't had any issue with the hard shifting yet. Hopefully, this solved my problem and may help anyone else out there that may be experiencing similar problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Usually, the 10 & 11 codes are fixed by just replacing the intake camshaft position actuator solenoid valve (though sometimes its a wiring issue). It's covered under the powertrain warranty. It's a very easy part to replace on that engine (20min max job) & a very common failure. Timing chains rarely need replacing.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I did print out a TSB pertaining to the wiring harness. That was the first thing they looked at. Unfortunately, my G6 was past the 100K mark. Unless I was mistaken, the warranty was expired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in